Chapter 3: The Bubble Bursts

Chapter 3: The Bubble Bursts

A Chapter by WriterGirl247247
"

After a nightmare fueled sleep, Amy finally gets some answers.

"

My dreams haunted me. It was all new and strange. But that seemed to make it worse.

I found myself running. I ducked through alleys and flew past moving cars, receiving angry honks as I passed. I looked over my shoulder. A faceless man chased after me. His eyes were hungry like a wolf’s. I ran faster. I tried to shake my pursuer, but he followed with superhuman stamina. I raced toward the car that waited for me at the curb. A thunderous boom met my ears, and pain stabbed me in the side. I tumbled to the ground. I felt myself being dragged-- somehow I knew toward the car-- before the dream shifted.

Now I was scaling a building. Night shrouded me. Repelling gear kept me from falling. I stopped at a window and looked down. Susan hung by a rope directly below me, positioned at another window. She wore dark clothes and a Kevlar vest like me. I knew it was her despite the white mask that covered her face. I nodded to her. She returned one of her own. We counted to three, then pushed off against the brick. We swung forward and crashed through the glass.

The scene changed again. I was running through a park. A boy and girl about my age ran beside me. They were nearly identical. They shared the same chestnut skin, raven hair, hazel eyes, and athletic build. I knew I wasn't running for my life this time. The boy said something that made the girl and I laugh. I fired back with a witty response before surging ahead. I sprinted down the gravel path. I rounded a bend and saw the finish, a lone lamppost twenty feet ahead. I glanced back. The two managed to catch up. They were practically breathing down my neck. We charged the lamppost and lunged at it as one.

Then I stood in a lab. Another boy excitedly explained something to me on a computer screen. A mop of sandy blond hair sat on top of his head. His grey eyes, which flashed with uncontrollable energy, were hidden behind thick framed glasses. Every few minutes I had to have him repeat himself, his words jumbling together as his excitement grew.

After that I was playing chess. My opponent, a third boy with black hair and blue eyes, sat across from me. He studied the board. He picked one of his black knights and moved it forward, sacrificing it. It was a risky move. But I knew he would make it worth it.

The last scene was different from the rest, and it terrified me. I was tied to a chair in a dark, dank basement. Above me, a lightbulb secured by a thin wire was my only source of light. My rope chafed against my raw wrists. The stench of mold hung in the air. My clothes were tattered and splattered with blood. My blood. Bruises and cuts ran across my body. My lower lip was swollen to twice its size. There was a large, deep gash above my eyebrow. Pain wracked my body. A large portion came from my leg. I was pretty sure it was broken.

“Your pain is only conditional,” a voice said from the darkness. I couldn't tell who it belonged to, or even if it was male or female. But somehow I knew who it was. And it enraged me.

“Drop dead!” I shouted into the void.

A shadowy figure stepped into the light and smacked me across the face. I coughed, wheezing as I caught my breath.

“I'm tired of your mouth,” the figure hissed. “Learn to hold your tongue, or I will cut it out.”

I spat blood. “Do my ears too, while you're at it. Least then I won't have to listen to you anymore.”

A second figure appeared next to the first. Smaller, but still it stood tall.

“You can stop this, Amy,” the second seemed to plea. “Just tell us. Where's the Oracle? Just tell us, please. This doesn't have to get any worse than it already is.”

I slowly raised my battered head to look the second figure in the eye. I narrowed my eyes. Venom dripped from my words. “I hope you burn.”

The first figure struck me hard on the head.

I sat bolt upright in my bed. Sweat drenched my clothes. I struggled to catch my breath. The first rays of morning light crept through the blinds and I blinked as my eyes adjusted. I was out of the basement and back in my room. My normal and mundane room, where nothing decorated the four cream colored walls. Mundane suddenly became very appealing.

I climbed out of bed. I scooped my school uniform up off the floor and practically sprinted to the bathroom. I threw my clothes down and assessed myself in the mirror. The gash on my head was gone. My lip was normal, too. The cuts and bruises had vanished. I balanced on my leg, the one that was broken in my dream. There was no twinge of pain. I sighed with relief. It was just a dream. But then why did it feel so real? I felt myself pulling up my shirt to expose my midriff. The ugly scar from my appendectomy was still there. The first section of the dream echoed in the back of my mind, how I was shot in the side. The scar started to look more and more like a bullet wound.

I quickly showered and got dressed. I clambered down the stairs. I was going to find Susan at school and get some answers. I was sick of being kept in the dark. And truthfully I was still sour over being poisoned.

I went into the kitchen, and came across a strange scene. Mom stood at the stove as she placed pancakes onto a plate. Two strips of bacon was laid beside the fluffy pancakes. Next to the plate was a delicious glass of orange juice.

Mom was usually long gone by now. She never cooked breakfast. She never cooked, period. What was going on?

She turned around and noticed me. “Good morning, sweetheart,” she greeted. “Thought I'd make breakfast. How'd you sleep?”

“Fine,” I lied. I guessed telling her that I dreamt of being chased, shot, and interrogated wasn't the best conversation to start off the day with.

She placed the plate and glass on the table. “Eat up. We're a little late as it is.”

“You didn't have to do this,” I said as I sat down at the table.

“I do.” She pulled out wrapping foil and began to put away the leftovers. “I feel like I've barely seen you lately. Like we're just strangers.”

I scarfed down the food. I didn't know where this was coming from. It never bothered her before. But I wasn't about to question it. I was too busy cleaning off the plate.

“So what's new?” Mom asked. “What were you up to last night?”

I took a gulp of orange juice. “Studying at the library.” I was thankful I could remember my alibi after my tumultuous night.

She nodded. “Right, forgot. Well, anything new? How's school?”

I shoved the last of the pancakes into my mouth. “Same as always. Nothing new.”

“Any new friends? Anyone I should know about?”

I froze. She watched me with expectant eyes. She was never this interested in my life. And the details were extremely specific. My newly filled stomach flipped.

I swallowed the last trace of bacon and guzzled the rest of my drink. “Nope. You know me. Pretty boring.”

I stood and made for the door. But Mom stopped me before I could pass her. “Aren't you forgetting something?” she questioned.

I paused. When I hesitated, she passed me a pill bottle. “Allergy meds. You keep forgetting and then wonder why you're a snotty mess.”

I nodded. “Right. Sorry.” I took the bottle and tipped three of the white pills into my open palm. I popped them into my mouth without hesitation. I smiled and gave my mom a quick peck on the cheek before I hurried out the door.

Once outside, I turned and spat out the pills onto the lawn. I walked down the street. When I was out of sight from home, I ran the rest of the way to school.

At school I searched through the frenzied halls, but Susan was nowhere to be seen. She said she'd find me. So where was she?

I spotted Claire through the throng. I swallowed my pride and walked up to her. I needed to find Susan more than I needed to avoid her.

“I was wondering where the village idiot was,” Claire said once she saw me.

“Great to see you too,” I replied absentmindedly. “Have you seen Susan Wright? The new student?”

“What are you talking about?” she said with a confused look. “We don't have a new student.”

“What? You met her yesterday.”

She rolled her eyes. “Whatever, freak. Thanks for making me late for the assembly.”

She tried to walk away, but I stopped her in her tracks. “Assembly? What assembly?”

“I don't know, something with the mayor. It's been scheduled for three weeks so I'm not sure why you're surprised. I have to go before you waste any more of my time.” With that, she strode past and stomped down the hall.

I never heard of an assembly before. My head spun. No new student? Had I imagined Susan? No. The dreams justified her existence. So what was happening?

I turned a corner, and ducked back behind it. At the end of the hall were my parents. Yates stood with them. All three spoke to a middle aged man with slicked back grey hair. He wore a pressed tie and immaculate suit. I recognized him as Mayor Wilkes. His eyes were mere slits and he spoke in a hushed tone. He turned and led my parents and Yates outside.

An invisible hand pushed me forward. Something told me they would give me my answers. I silently followed them outside.

Wilkes led them out the back exit. I followed. They stopped beside the school’s lone tree. I ducked behind a bush and cautiously poked my head out. I could just make out their conversation.

“This better be good,” Wilkes said. “Do you realize we’re jeopardizing a year of hard work just by meeting?”

Dad nodded. “We understand, sir. We wouldn't do this if it wasn't important.”

Yates gulped. “Well, I'm sure it's just another false alarm. We've had plenty in the past.”

“Of course you would say that, Yates,” Mom said cuttingly. “Considering it's all your fault.”

Yates paled. “Excuse me?”

Mom turned to Wilkes. “Yesterday a Phantom infiltrated the school by posing as a student. And Yates went along with it! Even introduced her to Lakes!”

Beads of sweat formed on Yates’ brow. “The computer said that Lakes was assigned as her tour guide--”

“They hacked it, you idiot!” she screamed. “Then last night Lakes says she studying at the library. I checked and she wasn't there. Instead she's spotted leaving the coffee shop. She gets home and runs upstairs before we could question her.”

“Did she say anything this morning?” Dad asked.

Mom shook her head. “She wouldn't spill anything. But when she was leaving, I saw her spit her pills out onto the lawn!”

Wilkes face reddened and he stared down Yates. The principal looked away sheepishly.

“If she remembers--” Wilkes began.

“She won't.” Dad promised.

Wilkes thought for a moment, then turned to the trio. “It's too risky to leave it alone. We need to do a full wipe. There's no telling how much damage has already been done.”

He looked to Yates. “Has anyone seen the Phantom today?”

Yates shook his head. He opened his mouth to speak, but only pitiful whimpers came out.

“I want the Phantom found and dead by tonight,” Wilkes ordered. “But do it quietly. We don't need Lakes stumbling onto a crime scene.”

The mayor then addressed my parents. “You two get Lakes and take her to the Wiper. Use whatever excuse you have to. Don't screw this up. We’ve worked too hard for it to end this way.”

My parents and Yates nodded. Yates turned to leave, and I ducked back into the bush. But it was too late. Yates pointed to my hiding place frantically.

“Lakes!” he shouted. “She's here! She's here!”

Wilkes and my parents spun around and saw me. I sprang out of the bush and retreated back into the school. I heard their pounding footsteps as they chased after me.

The halls were now empty, everyone already at the assembly. I weaved through the halls. If I could escape through the main entrance, I could have a chance. I had to find Susan. She suddenly became my only lifeline.

I tried to lose them. The footsteps grew fainter. They branched off into different directions. No doubt they were trying to cut me off.

I just had to be faster.

I ran as fast as my legs would allow. I rounded a corner. The main entrance beckoned ahead. I was feet away from sweet freedom.

But my mom stood in my way.

And she had a gun.

She pointed the pistol at me. Her face was an apathetic mask. “This is the famous Amy Lakes? Huh, I'm disappointed. I excepted more.”

My heart stopped. My blood curdled. “Mom, what are you doing?”

“Don't worry,” she cooed. “Soon, you won't remember any of this.”

Then came the gunshot.

I cringed as I waited for the pain to hit. I heard a grunt, followed by a crash. I pried my eyes open. Mom was sprawled on the floor. She held her bloody shoulder as she withered in pain. The gun had flown from her hand and slid away from her.

A hand suddenly grabbed me from behind. I jumped and spun around, ready to fight my attacker.

Instead I faced Susan. She had on black camo khakis and matching shirt. A bulletproof vest covered her chest. She had a wild look in her eyes. In her hand was a pistol of her own.

It hit me. She came up from behind and shot my mom-- my attacker, I corrected myself-- over my shoulder.

“You alright?” Susan asked. “You hit?”

I shook my head, too stunned to speak.

“Believe me now?” she asked.

I nodded weakly. She gave me a small grin.

Two pairs of rapidly approaching footsteps jolted me awake. Susan turned to where they came from, then took me by the shoulder. “We’re going. Now. Don't look back.”

Together we ran for the entrance. Susan kicked the gun away as we passed the fallen woman. I didn't even look down.

We broke into the open air. I followed Susan down the street. She led me back into town.

We ran past a few moving cars, but their occupants were too stunned to do anything. Block after block we ran. My legs tired, but Susan never did.

We rounded a corner and saw a car waiting for us at the curb. We ran to it and jumped in, Susan in the driver’s seat. She peeled away and flew through town at breakneck speed.

Tires squealed behind us. I looked over my shoulder. Five black vans sped after us.

Susan saw them in the rearview mirror. “Hang on. I’m gonna try to shake them.” She jerked the wheel and we careened around a turn.

Susan charged through town with reckless abandon. The vans never lost speed though. They seemed to be gaining on us. A twenty feet gap became fifteen. Then ten. It was only a matter of time until there was no gap at all.

There was a pinging sound coming off the back of the car. The rear window shattered. They were shooting at us. Susan pushed my head down into my lap. I managed to peek over at her. Susan was pushing me down, but she wasn't ducking. She stared ahead with steely determination.

We reached the edge of town. My breath caught in my throat. A blockade of vans stood in our path. Armed men in military gear aimed at us through their iron sights.

We were trapped.

“Hold on!” Susan screamed. Instead of slowing down, she stepped down harder on the accelerator. We surged forward. Straight into the blockade.

The armed men dove out of the way as we plowed through. The front windshield broke on impact. The front of the car caved in. But we made it.

I looked back. Our pursuers were halted by their own-- mostly intact-- blockade. We raced away as the town shrank in the distance. Soon it was just a speck on the horizon, then a second later it was gone.

I settled into my seat as reality hit. My home was fake. My family fake. Everything I knew was fake. My whole life had been a lie.

So then who was I?


© 2016 WriterGirl247247


Author's Note

WriterGirl247247
Please review and comment. And please guess what you think will happen next. :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Nia
love the quote "his eyes were hungry as a wolf's" made me chuckle. i love that song.
The entire time im on the edge of my seat reading faster to find out what happens next, completely thrilling!

Posted 6 Years Ago


Great sense of speed and excitement from the off. It was like seeing min scene from some kind of action movie. Crazy but very glued me to the screen when you jumped from one scene to another...Good imagery of when she is in the basement. good dialogue when talking back to the creatures.

And again it switches back to being in her room...such great usage of the imagination.

You're dialogue with the mother speaking to the girl is spot on, very well executed.

I really do want to read more of this talent that you have.

Mark.

Posted 7 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

298 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 30, 2016
Last Updated on September 30, 2016
Tags: spy, thriller, action, mystery


Author

WriterGirl247247
WriterGirl247247

About
Starting writer that is completely her first book. more..

Writing
Safe Safe

A Story by WriterGirl247247



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..