How To Become A Working Writer

How To Become A Working Writer

A Story by WritingRoom
"

tips and advice on making writing your career

"

 We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again: good writers only become great writers with constant practice. So while you’re waiting for that manuscript to become the next best seller or your screenplay to make it to the theaters, you might as well make a solid living practicing your craft. What better way to do it than as a freelance writer?

 

Your first step is to choose an area (or areas) of expertise. Here are some options:

 

Advertising Copywriting: Somebody’s got to write those radio commercials, the sales brochures and all that junk mail. It might as well be you! As a copywriter, you can market yourself to small businesses or ad agencies who need talented writers to write copy that sells. This is a highly competitive field so be sure you have some education or experience before you hit the pavement. At the very least, you’ll need a portfolio of work to get your foot in the door.

 

How-to Writing: You can learn how to do anything online. How-to articles are popular for all kinds of websites (including this one!) that want to provide added-value content for their visitors. You don’t need to be an expert in the field (although it does help), but you should have strong research skills and a curious disposition to tackle this field.

 

Technical Writing: Technical writing is the most lucrative choice of all “commercial” writing, mainly because it can be the most challenging and dry of all writing specialties. As a technical writer, you’ll write manuals for everything from electronics to games to software programs. It’s ideal for linear thinkers who can take complex subjects and explain them in down-to-earth form.

 

>>>>you can read the rest of the article at WritingRoom.com


© 2008 WritingRoom


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

149 Views
Added on April 8, 2008

Author

WritingRoom
WritingRoom

chagrin falls



About
My name is Lindsay and I am a writer. I am also the creator of another website called WritingRoom.com. I love to read (and edit) other writers works. more..

Writing