Wolf's Rain Anime Review

Wolf's Rain Anime Review

A Story by Carrie Ott
"

A review of the anime Wolf's Rain. I don't tell the story, I only give a synopsis as well as my review and commentary. CHRISTIAN REVIEW IS INCLUDED, for some viewers.

"

Wolf’s Rain: Anime Review

 

A spoiler-free evaluation of BONES Company’s quaint masterpiece

 

Title: Wolf’s Rain

Alternate Title: Urufuzu Rein

Genre: Action/Drama

Episodes: 30 (26 plus 4 OVA)

 

Synopsis: The world of man is dying. Huge tracts of wasteland separate what few cities remain, and civilization itself is the picture of devastation. The race of nobles - rulers of the cities which still exist - have long been at war with each other over the meager scraps left of the world. When these aristocrats learn of a biological experiment named Cheza, the woman created from a lunar flower, the battle intensifies to claim her.

            Wolves, thought to be long extinct, have learned to project an illusion that makes them appear as humans - using this tool as a disguise, the wolf race has survived for the past 200 years. A white wolf, hearing a strange voice, restlessly searches for the place called Paradise - an Elysium only wolves can open. The quest for Paradise begins, both for wolves and for the nobles. But can either race’s Paradise be obtained, and can they find it alone? Does Cheza, the Flower Maiden, hold the true key to Paradise? For when Paradise is opened, the world will end….

 

Plot: The plot of Wolf’s Rain is genuinely unique. I found myself attracted by the mysterious depth and vague future the series presented. From the protagonist (the white wolf Kiba) to one of my favorite ‘dark’ characters of all time (the noble Darcia), the series had me captivated simply because it could not be explained easily. I wanted to see the wolves get to Paradise, but the adept scripting and music in the show kept me from being completely sure that they would. There is never an element of certainty in the series, which is a compliment to the screenwriters, as most shows give the obvious idea that the hero will succeed in the end. In Wolf’s Rain, you’re never sure that the wolves will survive their next few steps, let alone get to Paradise at all.

            The background stories, both for the characters and for the world they live in, are intriguing, to say the least. We are never given a clear indication why the world ended up as it is, but it feels natural. The plot unfolds slowly but at regular intervals, so the show never stagnates - with one exception. Somewhere right in the middle of the series is a set of four recap episodes. That’s right. Four. They don’t present any new information - honestly, they can be entirely skipped and you won’t miss a thing. Other than this slight faux pas, the series chugs uniformly along and drags you with it (in a good way).

            Most intriguing, however, are the four OVA episodes (27-30) which were added to the series a few months after its apparent conclusion. You cannot watch Wolf’s Rain without these! They are the true ending for the show, and that ending is the real reason to watch the show in the first place. The first 26 episodes all have one thing in common - character development. You need to get to like, adore, and even love the characters, so the majority of the series is spent in a sort of bonding process between the viewer and the wolves (and other minor characters). Once the series has established an emotional bond, it chucks you without warning into the four best episodes of the series, the OVAs. At the series’ conclusion (episode 30), you are genuinely left awestruck as you try to process whether you just watched an entire show for that. Yes, you did. Let it sink it.

            The ending of the series is so poignant and truly deep that it may take a few days before you realize how privileged you were to actually see it. You cannot predict how Wolf’s Rain will end. There are still debates going around as to what the ending actually means. Yeah, it’s that deep. And that’s exactly why you need to watch it.

 

Artwork: The animation in Wolf’s Rain is gorgeous and fluid. Colors stand out, which is important in such a grey world as the one Kiba and the rest of the wolves inhabit. The animators seem to have given the action sequences special attention, as they are pure eye-candy to watch.

 

Music: Wolf’s Rain’s musical score is very effective in communicating the range of emotions necessary for the series. The opening theme, “Stray,” gives good insight into the character Kiba, while the closing “Gravity” reminds the viewer of the somber and serious journey taken up by the wolves. Music found during episodes is suitable to the environment, and there are some truly gorgeous orchestral scores in there, such as “Sad Moon.” Yoko Kanno can do no wrong in my book anyway, and this series is no exception to her masterful musical ability.

 

Characters: Personally, I found the characters very enjoyable. Their personalities varied greatly, which always provided a breath of fresh air. The quips between Tsume and Hige were always refreshing, although Kiba’s ‘never say die’ attitude got slightly old. All in all, though, the characters carried the series well, even though you are generally not shown character flaws in some of the most important individuals, which makes for some shallow personalities. Very few characters are dynamic or multifaceted, but perhaps that’s not needed in a show with a theme of such gravity (no pun intended " it’s the ending theme).

 

Ending: If you haven’t already figured it out, the main reason for watching the show is so that you can be impacted by the ending. You are carried through 26 episodes (which are fun to watch) so that you can develop the mindset necessary to make the ending powerful. I own this series simply because the vague, open ending astounded me with its inexplicable beauty. Some, however, may not be satisfied with the ending, as it is definitely not cut-and-dry.

 

Recommendation: I highly recommend this show. Watch it, if for no other reason than to say that you did. The range of emotions felt through the show, and the concepts presented therein, are worth the watch.

 

Audience: I don't recommend this series for viewers under 13, as some images can be a little scary or could cause nightmares in sensitive kids. Language, sex, drugs, and other negative aspects for kids are not present. Death (in battle and by other means) is also handled fairly regularly, so be aware of that. This show does not shy away from blood.

 

Final Grade: 7 out of 10, for some dull moments, a main character that might be just a little bit ‘larger than life,’ and an ending that may not satisfy some.

 

For the Christian Audience: the concept of Paradise (heaven) may be disturbing to some viewers in the way it is presented. Blood is common. A few mentionings of the Great Spirit exist also. Conclusion: View at Your Own Discretion.

 

 

Want to buy Wolf's Rain? Click the links below. I’ve set up the links so that you’ll go to a new page to view the item, then you can click and go to the store to buy the item! Enjoy!

 

Click this link for the Complete DVD Set: <iframe src="http://rcm.amazon.com/e/cm?lt1=_blank&bc1=000000&IS2=1&bg1=FFFFFF&fc1=000000&lc1=0000FF&t=wyvernwriter-20&o=1&p=8&l=as4&m=amazon&f=ifr&ref=ss_til&asins=B001K98MLO" style="width:120px;height:240px;" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" frameborder="0"></iframe>

© 2011 Carrie Ott


Author's Note

Carrie Ott
Let me know what you think of Wolf's Rain! Did I do a good job reviewing it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

4161 Views
Added on February 19, 2011
Last Updated on July 5, 2011
Tags: wolf rain anime show japan revie

Author

Carrie Ott
Carrie Ott

About
Want some writing advice? Here's a link to one of my articles - http://www.squidoo.com/understanding-poetry-rhyming-meter-and-form UPDATE: Here's the link to my blog, where I will be recording my .. more..

Writing