Munto 3: Last War of Heavenloids and Akutoloids Anime Movie Review

Munto 3: Last War of Heavenloids and Akutoloids Anime Movie Review

A Story by Carrie Ott
"

A spoiler-free review of the Munto anime movie. I simply critique the plot, characters, etc. A CHRISTIAN EVALUATION is included at the end for some viewers and as a parental guide.

"

Munto: The Movie �" The Last War of Heavenloids and Akutoloids

 

A spoiler-free review of the concluding anime movie

 

Title: Munto: The Movie �" The Last War of Heavenloids and Akutoloids

Alternate Title:

Genre: Magic/Fantasy/Drama

Episodes: 1 (movie)

Running Time: Approx. 102 minutes

 

Synopsis: While the Akuto crisis in the heavenly realm has been avoided for the time being, that does not mean that the world is no longer threatened by eventual destruction. Munto breaks through the time-space barrier and carries Yumemi into the heavenly realm as his loyal followers engage the warring heavenly lords in battle. In a final attempt to save the heavens, Gus uses the last of his power as the Outsider to prevent the path back to the human world from closing. The time has now come for Yumemi’s trial by fire.

            As heaven’s lords continue to duel �" not out of fear of the Akuto this time but rather for the right to save the heavenly realm in the way they think is best �" Yumemi meets with Ryueri, the royal seer. When Ryueri conjures up a mirror, Yumemi must gaze into it and face her worst fear of all �" herself. Only if she can accept her own heart will she have the power to finally save everything she holds dear.

            In the meantime, Munto has gone to aid Gus’s spell in keeping the path between heaven and earth open. Munto knows that the only way to permanently solve the problem with Akuto is to restore everything to the way it was thousands of years ago. That means that the heavenly and earthly realms must be connected as they once were long ago. Awaiting Yumemi’s aid, Munto seems ready to break under the strain of holding the connection open. Can Yumemi conquer her heart, or will Munto be left alone and consumed by the fierce power of the inter-worldly energy? And when Ichiko and Suzume manage to appear in the heavenly realm too, what fate could possibly await not only the friends, but also the two worlds as well? For in the shadows, a darkness looms that threatens to undo everything that Munto and Yumemi have strived to accomplish….

 

Plot: Like the previous two Munto movies, this one follows heaven’s attempts to curb the Akuto crisis with the help of Munto and Yumemi. This film, however, is the conclusion of the series, answering the biggest questions (can the Akuto ever be restored permanently, can the heavens be united, etc). Munto: The Movie is by far the strongest of the three films, although the previous two are, for obvious reasons, very necessary and honestly quite enjoyable. In the plot department, the third Munto takes the cake.

 

Characters: As always, the characters in Munto are one of the top areas of the film. Particularly in this movie (as compared to the other two), each character’s voice acting is exemplary. Such power and emotion can often be felt behind the presentation, and a few characters in particular (such as Gintaro/Gintarl) dramatically improved their performances.

 

Animation: As always, the animation of Munto is chaotic, bold, and colorful. It’s great! See my first review of Munto for a detailed description.

 

Music: It seems that Munto: The Movie isn’t content with just improving the plot and characters. The music in this third film far outstrips the (semi-) mediocre music of the previous two. I found myself drawn more into the movie as powerful undertones of drums or gentle ringing of flutes wove throughout the film, and that is precisely what music is for �" it’s purpose is to draw you into the world you’re viewing. That is exactly what Munto’s music does.

 

Ending: Munto’s final ending is inconclusive, to say the least. It leaves you with a feeling that you’re questions have been answered, yet you don’t really know what those answers are. It’s an unusual feeling that makes this ending one worth watching. Perhaps its open-endedness (which leaves the viewer to fill in how he wants the story to end) makes the finale so appealing.

 

Recommendation: As before, I recommend this film to those who (obviously) have watched the other two and are looking for a good way to spend some time. Most people will enjoy this movie.

 

Audience: I would not recommend this film for viewers under 9. While most of it appears mostly unthreatening, some characters could seem a little scary.

 

Final Grade: 9 out of 10, for a greatly improved plot, better characters, and nicer music. The somewhat inconclusive ending and the lack of any truly groundbreaking aspects keeps this movie from getting a perfect score.

 

For the Christian Audience: As before, if you have a problem with them calling their world heaven, you need to watch out. See my first Munto review for a more detailed analysis, as the elements to watch out for remain the same throughout all three movies. Conclusion: View at Your Own Discretion!

© 2011 Carrie Ott


Author's Note

Carrie Ott
Have you seen Munto 3? Tell me about it! Did I do a good job reviewing it?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

5058 Views
Added on April 6, 2011
Last Updated on April 6, 2011

Author

Carrie Ott
Carrie Ott

About
Want some writing advice? Here's a link to one of my articles - http://www.squidoo.com/understanding-poetry-rhyming-meter-and-form UPDATE: Here's the link to my blog, where I will be recording my .. more..

Writing