Kitten Savior

Kitten Savior

A Story by ...
"

A man is caught in a heroic struggle to save a helpless kitten... Will he make it? Or will he fall to his doom?

"
In the small town of woodstock a little kitten had found it's way up a tree. A little girl was crying at the base of the tree, and a young man came over to help.
    "What' s the matter little girl?" he asked with a concerned tone.
    "My kitty, it's stuck up in that tree. Please help! Please!" She pleaded.
    "I'll see what I can do." he said as he approached the tree.
    The tree was about 40 feet high with very spaced branches, and the cat was very near to the top. It would prove to be a difficult climb, but the man was tall and long limbs. He thought he could do it.
    The first branch was about 8 feet off the ground, and the man was only 5'11. He would have to jump to reach it. He stood directly underneath of it and jumped. It was close, but he managed to grab a hold of the branch and pull himself up. It wasn't a large branch, so he had to move quickly before it broke under his weight. The next branch was closer to him, but he had to stand up to reach it.
    "Steady now..." he said as he stood up on the branch. It was hard to keep his balance. He took a moment to judge how far he would have to reach. After a few moments, he reached out. Closer, closer, he was only a few inches from the branch. He was so close, but suddenly the branch began to snap. It would break ina  few seconds. In a panic the man lost his footing and slipped. He reached out desperately, so close to his destination. He made it, though only managing to grab on with one had. The little girl watched, seized with tension.
    "Are you alright, sir?" She asked the man.
    "I'm alright." he replied. The other hand swung up and grabbed onto the branch. With great difficulty he pulled himself up, but he wasn't out of trouble yet. The branch he was on was just as slim and flimsy, and he didn't want the same thing to happen this time. With impressive agility he leaped from the branch to another and pulled himself up. He was getting the hang of it. Closer and closer he got to the kitten, who was frozen with fear at the top of the tree. The man's hands were getting dirty and scratched, but he soldiered on with a strong determination to save the cat. He was half way up now, only 20 more feet to go. At the height he was at, a slip or a fall could severely injure him, even kill him.
    He hadn't noticed, but dark clouds were looming overhead. Booming thunder pulled his attention to the skies, and a flash of lightning struck a hydro pole which was very nearby. This was a dangerous situation for the man, and he knew he had to move faster now.
    At this point a large group had formed at the bottom of the tree. People from the neighbourhood, children, even news reporters had gathered to watch the hero save the poor kitten.
    The man was very close now, only a few more branches to go. One leap, he made it to the next branch. Another leap, he was only two way from the top. The third leap, only one more to go. The last branch was a fair distance away, he would have to jump. A fall from his hieght would almost certainly kill him. It took him a few moments to muster the courage to jump, then finally, with beautiful form he leaped from the branch, reaching as far as his hands could go. Only a few more inches to the branch, would he make it?
    Suddenly, a bolt of lighting flashed from the sky again, striking the tree.the top exploded and burst into a fiery inferno. The kitten flew from it's branch and plummeted a few feet where it managed to grab on with it's claws. It was slipping, though, and in minutes it would be falling 30 feet to a certain death. The man didn't have time to climb down, he would have to let go of the branch and fall. He fought against his instinct to hold on, and his grip slowly slid of the branch. He fell, and on the way down he reached for a branch that was close to the kitten. He reached, so close, a few inches... He made it! The branch couldn't support his weight and it snapped, he continued his descent. His head smacked off a thick, solid branch, nearly knocking him unconscious. He managed to catched another branch on the way down. He was very dazed, but he managed to pull himself up.
    The cat was four branches above him, he wouldn't make it in time. He needed a new plan, and fast. He took a minute, and he realized what he would have to do. He took a deep breath, and he waited. The cat's grip was slipping, it only had a few seconds left. The final claw lost it's claw and the kitten began it's fall. With perfect timing, then man made a heroic leap and caught the kitten mid-air. Together they began plummeting to the ground, snapping branches and twigs on the way down. with only a few feet to go he cradled the cat in his arms. He landed on his back and was immediately knocked unconscious.
    He woke up two weeks later. He immediately felt the pain of broken bones and a severe head injury. He looked around, very dazed. He was surrounded by people, but he couldn't make out any of their faces. There was one he was sure he didn't know, and he tried hard to focus and make out their face. It was the little girl, and in her arms, a white furry shape writhed around in her arms.
    A feeling of relief washed over the man, and he laid his head back on his pillow. He had succeeded. He was a real hero.

THE END.

© 2010 ...


Author's Note

...
did you like the conflict? was there enough tension? was the dialogue a little awkward?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sil
You take such a simple concept and make it engaging to read and had great chic, it most certainly does entertain.
"He fought against his instinct to hold on, and his "grib" slowly slid of the branch."
I noticed a spelling mistake though, i think you meant "grip."


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

I love this piece! As a cat lover, I have the highest respect for this man who would risk his life to save a kitten! The ending is right--he is a true hero

Posted 11 Years Ago


AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! BUT POOR MAN!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


This is so sweet! I love it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


[send message][befriend] Subscribe
Sil
You take such a simple concept and make it engaging to read and had great chic, it most certainly does entertain.
"He fought against his instinct to hold on, and his "grib" slowly slid of the branch."
I noticed a spelling mistake though, i think you meant "grip."


Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

639 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 14, 2010
Last Updated on December 10, 2010
Tags: kitten, savior, adventure, happy, fun, exciting

Author

...
...

Azerbaijan



About
I'm a sick individual with a morbid fascination. A legitmate sufferer of chronic procrastination. Always depressed, completely lacking elation. And another thing I suffer from is chronic masturbati.. more..

Writing
Tragic Fates Tragic Fates

A Poem by ...


Death Death

A Poem by ...


Non-violence Non-violence

A Poem by ...