Coffee and Tea

Coffee and Tea

A Story by YellowFre
"

In a world that suffered a living nightmare.

"

I was working so, yeah.. A part of what im working on.
Its a story on a world devastated by the opening of what the survivors call "Cypher's Gate". The creatures of myth and fiction that ruled the dreams of men, now walked upon the land. Note: an unrested is sort of like a living semi-sentient zombie.
-
Rain fell fast and strong. Likely to be part of a Necromancer's work, Jenny thought.

 

The Unrested emerged from the shadows, moving at a quick pace towards the vehicles.

The van reversed, skidded as the rain started to fall, and drove forwards, other vehicles followed. But the Unrested were fast surrounding the company as they drove around the piles of rubble that were slowing down their process.

With some scrabbling at the back, Elias promptly emerged with a bow and a quiver of arrows.

The van swerved around and the unbuckled occupants crashed painfully upon the walls. "Can you watch it?!" yelled Elias as a thump from the back came, followed by a blade slicing through the lock, springing the doors wide open.

A Unrested hung there, its hair matted and wet from the rain. It grinned mavlovently for a moment, bringing its organic sword to bear before Elias promptly shot it in the face. A curious quaility, the arrow, which produced a small stream of an azure aura trailing it before it struck true on the grey face, prompting it to scream like Jenny had never heard one scream before and it fell back onto the road. Scrabbling at its face.

Another thump, this time upon the roof. Jenny dived to the back from the passanger's seat, sword already in her hand and ready when the roof was peeled back by another Unrested. Aided by a nearby, strung down crate, Jenny proceeded to follow her jump with an upwards leap, driving the sword into the Unrested's neck, twisting it and finally exiting the hole she made. It sank to its knees, trying to stem the flow of life in its hands but to no avail.

For the moment they were allowed rest, they saw, hordes of Unrested, keeping pace with the vehicles easily, jumping from rooftops to rooftops. Whenever one was thrown off the other vehicles, another would take its place, like a running game of hanging. A creaking sound alerted them and Elias barely dodged out of the way when a crate broke free from its moorings and smashed onto the road.

"Now look what you've done. You destroyed an entire week's worth of supplies. Great job Shi Lan. Next time, YOU go find the food." yelled Elias over the raging rain as he shot another Unrested on the roof.

"We didn't pass so much junk on the roads. Do an SS then." complained Shi Lan, who apprently swerved again to avoid a pile of metal.

Elias shrugged and brought out his phone. "What the hell are you DOING?!" screamed Jenny as she slashed another Unrested which happened to 'drop by'.

"Uploading in five..."

"Five? We will be dead by then." stated Shi Lan who calmly punched an Unrested in the face which was hanging by his side of the door, all the while keeping his eyes on the road. "Split up and bunker down people. SS incoming." said Shi Lan over the radio mike.

"Done."said Elias triumphantly. Putting his phone away.

"Wait.. SS-?"

"Hang on kiddo."

She followed what Shi Lan ordered and grasped a crate and for the first time in her life, saw what was an SS.

It begun as an tiny pinprick of light in the distance, slowly approaching. Followed by a rumbling thunder, it speeded up suddenly, growing bigger as it went, cutting through the cloud layers. Growing until it was a beam the size of a car before it struck the town centre which they had so recently left.

The centre glowed a firery white before a shockwave followed it, smacking the van over and over. Then the white mass exploded, incinerating everything within a three kilometre radius, searing the van which had luckily had its side to the oncoming heat. However, those that were not shielded were enflamed, then turned to dust due to their proximity.

As the heat burnt the air itself, a vaccum was created and naturally, it would feed itself air. Thus everything, from abandoned cars, to burning bits of Unrested, to rubble, all was sucked in, for the vaccum spared none. And thus, a magnificent firestorm resulted.

And when Jenny dared to peep out. All she saw was a burning mass in the centre, lighting up the dak storm, darkening shadows. Not for the first time, she wondered what mess she had gotten herself into a group which had the power to order a satillite strike.

© 2008 YellowFre


Author's Note

YellowFre
Ok... maybe the name doesnt match the story.. But im really random.. Pls some comments thanks. This is a small part of my writing.. Edit 1 done. Thanks.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wow! The action is riveting. Excellent write. Just a few comments, which you probably already know, if you intended this to be part of a larger writing.

I had a bit of confusion on where your story actually started. I also think you need a bit of back story before this. It was good starting in the action quickly, but I didn't get a clear enough mental image, because I didn't know what an Unrest was. I'd guess it's a zombie, but then you said it grinned, which I don't associate with zombies, so I'm not sure.

"before a shockwave preceeded it" precede means to go before. I think this should be 'followed'



Posted 15 Years Ago


You're a natural story teller...very nice work indeed. Keep up the good work! Holly

Posted 15 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

230 Views
2 Reviews
Added on July 30, 2008
Last Updated on August 4, 2008

Author

YellowFre
YellowFre

About
Eh, i love writing, as much as you are. Currently, im working on Tutious but my posting will be limited as i do not have much time to type it out on the computer compared to writing with the paper and.. more..

Writing
Shards Shards

A Book by YellowFre


Idea Idea

A Chapter by YellowFre


Singurd Singurd

A Story by YellowFre