Smile Upon the Sky

Smile Upon the Sky

A Story by yusavage
"

A broken heart accompanies a past with tears. Only when the memories are evoked, perhaps coincidentally, so that we will learn to embrace the past and "move on"

"
       "Catch me if you can!",the sounds of children playing outside his yard (where his precious eggplants were prolificly growing) was almost too much to bear. He flinged open his windows and screamed,"Scram, ya brats!" Recognizing the familiar grumpy voice, the children screamed in mock terror then chanted,"Uncle Chin is going to eat you!" before running away.
"Kids these days,"Uncle Chin grumbled to himself,"when I was young, I was indomitable. No one had the audacity to maske fun of me!" He grumbled to himself some more as he hobbled up the stairs to his bedroom. He settled down on the only furniture in the room besides his bed; a half-wrecked sofa, meant for two. Uncle Chin patted the space next too him absently; there used to be someone who'd always sat right next to him.
He then proceeds to open the drawer and bought a mirror to his face. Moles thwarted his face and his dimples had simply faded for he hasnt smile for years. He rarely confabulate with anyone, for anything he said aroused perplexity from othera.
He had aged too much, and Uncle Chin took in this informatin aghasted and surprised. He rarely took a look at himself in the mirror for what was there to look at? Stepping out of the front door only to shop for grocery and occasionally take out the trash, Uncle Chin wore his ragged sunhat as a concealment. Children obseved his strange behaviors as those of a monster; and soon, rumors went wild about the old man who lived behind the closed door.
A rattling sound came from downstairs as footsteps entered the front door. Uncle Chin hurried down the stairs as he heard a smuffled giggle. His poor eyesight made out the shape of two teenagers and he swored for leaving his glasses upstairs. He'd almost made it down the stairs when he tripped on thin air and went tumbling down instead. In a second, everything went black.
When he became conscious, what he saw shocked him. Draawers were flipped open and everything inside was sprawled carelessly around the room. The next thing he saw was a broken photo frame. Uncle Chin tried to move, but his leg was bruised from the fall. He crawled to the photo frame, whispering,"no, no, no" over and over again. 
His hands reached the brim of the frame and with effort, he managed to pull himself into a sitting position. Feebly, he wiped the dust off the photo and his lips formed the unspoken name:"Laura."
A tear sprang from his eye and plopped onto the picture. He hugged it and closed his eyes painfully, repeating the name "Laura" continually and remembering things. 
 HIs memories came back in such a rush and he felt the agony, for those were unspoken memories that not even her was willing to recall.
He remembered Laura, the day he knelt down on one knee and held out a ring. He remembered her, dressed in a beautiful white gown, as she walked down the aisle towards him. He remembered their hands laced perfectly together whenever they went for a walk. She had inquired playfully,"Guess what is my most precious thing in the world?" But he never got an answer. Because he remembered Laura reposed on the hospital bed, her young face plagued with sickness. And he remembered it as if it was yesterday.
"Laura,"he had sat next to her everyday, praying and sobbing behind closed door when he couldn't take it anymore. "Laura," he grasped her hands tightly,"You're going to be alright."
She smiled weakly in response, for the slightest talking made her cough uncontrollably. The nurse came in and Uncle Chin excused himself. He paced the hospital floors nervously. The doctors had told him it was lung cancer and that it was too late to cure the sickness, but that they would still try their best. Uncle Chin scoffed at this, for he knew, the doctor knew and Lauren knew, that she wouldn't survive this. Many times she told Uncle Chin about a light in her dream, its warmth beckoning her closer and closer.
Uncle Chin would interrupt her, not willing to listen any further and talk about their future. As if there was a future for them and ponder that Hope must not distinguish its light too soon. Uncle Chin had a tenacious grip upon Hope, but it was slipping away , gradually, day by day.
He appeared strong, always in dissumulation when facing Laura. Yet, he weeped silently when alone, agonized by the thought of parting with his love.
Then one day, the Heavens got greedy and took Laura with Him. The doctors rang Uncle Chin in the middle of the night, bringing upon him the dreaded news. He rushed toward the hospital at once, as if he would see Laura for the last time.
The nurses uncovered napkins tainted with blood from severe coughing, under her pillow. He was outraged, angry at himself for not being there when she left. At the same time, he knew all along that Death was inevitable. He could hold it in no longer and he knelt down on his knees. He wept profusely, feuled with rage and regret.
Uncle Chin opened his eyes fraily, and patted the picture. He smiled as if he'd just evoked another memory. He stood up, swaying on his debilitated legs and limped out the open door. Ignoring the stares from the pedistrians, he tilted his chin upwards and smiled at the cloudless blue sky. Still clutching the photo to his chest, he was soothed by the sudden memory.
The doctors had apologized, saying their regrets for his loss but, what could they have done? One of the nurse stepped forward and handed Uncle Chin a folded-up note,"Mrs. Laura said she wanted you to have this when she had passes on." He took the note and unfolded it with care. After all, it was the only remanent that Laura had left behind:
Chin,
You're probably reading this when I'm gone. Cheer up- because I still haven't told you what my most precious thing in the world is. The most precious thing in the world will always be with me although I'm separated from it at the moment. I'm waiting for you above the blue skies. I'll wait for you forever- because you are my most precious thing in the world. Whenever you miss me, smile at the sky. I'll smile back.
Laura

© 2015 yusavage


Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5

Author's Note

yusavage
Please ignore any grammar problems ;-; this story was initially set as comical, which explains the beginning. Some of the vocabs might not be utilized correctly so...

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

The tense changes back and first from past to present. The tense should stay the same throughout the piece. Also, grammar is the main part of writing; it's hard to ignore. If you take writing seriously, you'll need to take grammar seriously as well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

The tense changes back and first from past to present. The tense should stay the same throughout the piece. Also, grammar is the main part of writing; it's hard to ignore. If you take writing seriously, you'll need to take grammar seriously as well.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very touching story and I certainly did feel the emotion. Not to say there is no room for improvement, but I think this is a very good start.

I know you asked to ignore grammar errors and I guess this includes spelling, but would you mind a tiny suggestion? If your writing software doesn't do the spell checking for you, you could use an online spell checker. Most are available for free and the problem is that every typo, every wrong spelling is like a little pinprick while reading. It takes the reader out of the story and since this is a good story I think you owe it to yourself and your work to present it in the best way you can.

Just a suggestion, by any means feel free to ignore it :-)


Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yusavage

8 Years Ago

thank you and yes, i agree >.> It gets really irritating when a typo appears
I will take you.. read more
Good story line, but it lacked intimacy of expression. It only slightly grazed the emotions it was supposed to express.

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

yusavage

8 Years Ago

I agree and thank you for spending time reading this>>

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

474 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 18, 2015
Last Updated on July 24, 2015
Tags: memories, loss, moving on

Author

yusavage
yusavage

new york, NY



About
i'm still practicing with writing so basically im a real newb at this :3 more..

Writing
Cinderella Cinderella

A Poem by yusavage