Chapter one

Chapter one

A Chapter by Zach

Charin stood watching the house that had been the sole purpose of his life for the past month. The wind, which had sent men scurrying for the safety and warmth of their homes hours ago, didn't seem to phase him as he stared intently. The dark hair whipping around his face was the only thing on Charin that seemed to be alive. He stood unflinching as debris flew around his head, for him the only concern in the world to was what was happening across the street.

His eyes shifted minutely as a rather harried horse came to a stop at the front of the gate. A portly man jumped down from the horse, he started leading the horse towards the gate guards. Quicker than the wind itself Charin was across the street behind the old oak tree that was in touching distance of the guards.

“- tend to the baroness,” the portly man was just finishing. The man's face was red, his breathing was rushed, and he looked as if he had just woken up.

The two guardsmen just nodded to one another as if this was an expected visit, and Charin relaxed a bit of the tension he hadn't known he was holding. As the guards began to open the gate Charin took the opportunity to get back to the position he had vacated, his cloak nearly flying off halfway there. Charin was in the doorway of the King's Cups, which had served as his lookout spot a number of times, in enough time to watch the gate close behind the horse.

When the portly man came back out the sun had just about fallen, though the difference in light was minuscule. Charin could clearly see the tired look on the man's face. The slump in the man's shoulders told Charin all he needed to know about what had gone on inside. Charin watched as the horse went back down the road the way it had come, and the very faintest hint of a smirk laid on Charin's lips.

Charin heard the faintest scrape of shoe on stone a few body lengths behind him. He let out a faint sigh and waited the couple seconds it took Naren to close the distance between them.

“How many times have I told you to pick up your feet?” Charin asked exasperated. Charin turned and looked down to see a young women staring at the house his own eyes had vacated.

“No normal person would have heard me,” Naren responded automatically. Her cheeks turned rosy as she realized what she had said. At least she had the decency to look at him ashamed for a brief second.

“It's not the normal people you need to fear, never get complacent understand? Always be on the lookout,” Charin sighed. Naren's face got a shade redder, and she just nodded. “Tonight's the night, Theron and I'll be back around midnight,” Charin whispered, both their eyes back on the house.

As Charin huddled over to start his trip back to the inn he saw Naren touching the spot where her kamas rested under her coat. The wind was beginning to bite into him now that his mind was free to wander. That girl is great in a fight, but if she is going to survive she needs to learn patience. Charin had been trying to rid Naren of her bad habits for the past few years. Some people are just too bullheaded.

        Charin stopped in his tracks and look towards the sky, he let out a long sigh and started back towards the inn. He had been hoping to get out of here before the snow started to fall, but now that the flurries were pelting his face it rang home how long this was taking. His feet led him to his destination, as they had so often in the last month, while his mind was on the night ahead. Charin opened the door to the Vampire's Rest, to the groans of the inhabitants, and started towards the flight of stairs.

“You've been out Sir?” The pale innkeeper asked. “We still have soup and fresh bread left. Snow started to fall, though I'm sure you know,” He said with a rueful grin.

“Ya it has Jarlath. Was out seeing the town when the wind picked up. An' I jus figured with the town clearin out I'd be able to see it without the distractions,” Charin said with a chuckle. “But the snow started up, the wind I can handle snow though makes me want to follow the birds,” Charin sighed.

“Then this town probably isn't for you, once it starts it takes months for it to disappear.”

“You're probly right on that account there Jarlath. Gonna give another week for Jinne's sake, but if I can't get used t' the snow I'm going back south where I belong.”

“Well I hope you can overcome your dislike of the snow Mathias, this town can be great if you give it a chance,” Jarlath said sincerely.

“I think I'm going to skip on your soup for now, but me and Luca will be down in a few hours for a meal. Jinne is still a little sick so she'll be stayin up in the room, well see you in a while Jarlath.”

“I'll make sure to save you some,” Jarlath said with a smile. “You two don't start anything today or you'll be out in the snow!” Jarlath shouted across the room to two regulars who looked to be ready to start something.

Charin hurried up the stairs before he could be accosted by any of the patrons. He found the door to his room and hurried inside. Theron was inside looking over his vials making a list for what he would need when they got back home. Charin went to one of the beds and laid down to get some rest before he had to get back to the house.

“Anything new?” Theron asked without looking up from his list.

“New doctor, seemed rushed, didn't seem to find anything,” Charin said with his eyes closed. “Oh and it's started to snow.”

Charin could hear the silence coming from Theron at those words. “Snow... snow could complicate things. Footprints... hmmm.” Theron at in silence for a couple minutes. “Well get some sleep you've got a few hours before we need to go.”

“Yes sir.” Charin didn't need to be told twice, he was unconscious within minutes.

 



© 2009 Zach


Author's Note

Zach
Well here's chapter 1, please be brutally honest. It's still to short for me, but for now just trying to get it out.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

It seems okay. I can't really say much since it's just a beginning. No typos or errors that I can see. A good start I think.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

237 Views
1 Review
Added on February 4, 2009
Last Updated on February 4, 2009


Author

Zach
Zach

About
I'm a 20 year old guy trying to find my place right now, and hoping that writing might be it. I still haven't started college yet, though I plan on starting next fall mainly because in the few years s.. more..

Writing
Friendship Friendship

A Poem by Zach