The Argument (A play)

The Argument (A play)

A Stage Play by ZackOfBridge
"

An explosive argument between a married couple

"

Our scene opens to a young girl, sitting criss cross (Apple sauce) on the floor. She looks directly ahead; our perspective is the television she is staring blankly into. Over her shoulder, Rick, her father leans against a door in a narrow linear hallway. He is shaking the knob of a door; it is presumably locked from the inside. Muffled sirens from the city beyond the home accompany the turning of the knob.

 

Rick:  (With one hand on the door knob and another on the wall) Brooke, open the door. Brooke, open this damned door!

 

There is light sobbing from the unseen side of the door. The young girl looks ahead to the audience, not acknowledging the argument behind her. A voice in the bathroom prods through the sobs.

Brooke: Why should I? You don’t want to talk to me so why should I open the door?

Rick: I’ve got to piss, that’s why! I don’t want to talk, I want to piss!

Brooke: Why don’t you go in the sink then?! I sure as Hell wouldn’t put it passed you.

 

Rick taps his finger twice on the wall. He moves away from the door, he begins towards the living room space. We see him over the young girl's shoulder. She sits blankly, her mouth ajar.

Rick: (In a tone foreign from the one at the door. A fatherly tone) Hey Bailey girl, watching T.V. huh? What are you watchin’? (He is eyeing the kitchen)

Bailey: (Nodding at the audience) They took my cartoons off. It’s all black now.

Rick: (Absently, his gaze still towards the kitchen space) They did did they? All black huh? (He hurries toward the sink)

 

In moments the sound of flowing urine comes from the kitchen. Bailey tilts her head at the television screen. Being of the age to recognize letters, but unable to fit them together into words, begins to read the letters aloud, simultaneous to her father urinating in the sink.

Bailey: E-

Rick: What was that dear?

Bailey: M-E-R-

Rick: Honey, I can’t hear you. Give m"

Bailey: G-E-N

Rick: (Still urinating) Give daddy one-second honey.

Bailey: C-Y (Pause) Daddy, why is mommy in the bathroom?

Rick: Well, I don’t know sweetie. (Raising his voice to make himself audible for Brooke) I don’t know. Why IS mommy locking herself in the bathroom?! And forcing your daddy to PEE-PEE IN THE SINK, where we clean the dishes!!!

 

At this, the door opens and a flash of Brooke rushes out from the bathroom and into the kitchen.

Brooke: WE?! WE?! Maybe...maybe mommy didn’t think daddy was sick enough to PEE-PEE where SHE washes the dishes!!!

Bailey keeps her gaze persistently forward, mouthing the letters on the television screen in repetition.

Brooke: (Continuing) I ought to run your thing through the garbage disposal. You sure as s**t ain’t using it for me, OH NO, Not me! NOT THIS DISH-WASHING MOMMY!

Rick: At this point I would PREFER the DAMNED garbage disposal!

 

Tears fall from Bailey’s eyes. She inhales deeply and exhales desperately. Sniveling and weeping follow. There is a pause from the parents; they both crane their necks to the bawling daughter sitting criss cross (Applesauce) on the living room floor, staring into a blank television.  There isn’t silence in the pause. There is the weeping of Bailey and the muffled sirens from the city, pulsing with growing intensity.  Both Brooke and Rick move towards Bailey, there is an aura of shame around them.

Brooke: What’s the matter Bailey? Daddy and I are only talking sweetie.

Bailey: (Stuttering) They, they…i-i-its all black.

Rick: Oh Bailey girl, why don’t you go outside and play? (They look beyond the audience, presumably out the windows.)

Brooke: Yeah, it'll be a little while longer before the bomb hits. Go outside and play, daddy and I need to talk.

 

Without complaint, Bailey gets to her feet and walks out of scene, the sound of a shutting door accompanies her exit. Explosive banter continues with Rick and Brooke

 

CURTAIN.

© 2014 ZackOfBridge


My Review

Would you like to review this Stage Play?
Login | Register




Reviews

Woah I did not see that coming. I really like this. Kept me wondering until the end... and then it sort of baffled me and made me think, "How can people think their own situation is the worst of all possible situations?" This really puts things into perspective haha Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


ex·cel·lent [ek-suh-luhnt]
adjective
1. possessing outstanding quality or superior merit; remarkably good.
2. Archaic. extraordinary; superior.
Origin:
1350–1400; Middle English < Latin excellent- (stem of excellēns ), present participle of excellere to excel


Posted 10 Years Ago


ZackOfBridge

10 Years Ago

Gratz. Gratz. I appreciate your work defining comments. We still have go to collaborate on something.. read more
Chadvonswan

10 Years Ago

I read this again. You really set the stage well ;)
HAHA GET IT?
ZackOfBridge

10 Years Ago

I do get it! Haha thanks man, I preciate it
I don't know how I feel about this. I didn't dislike it, but it wasn't love either. It was sad, that her parents were arguing when their child was hurting. I don't know. Her sadness is so heartbreaking- so pitifully heartbreaking. '...while longer before the bomb hits.' her parents are so nonchalant because of the bombs and explosions occurring in their house. So used to the violence and backlash... I just don't know.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ZackOfBridge

10 Years Ago

I understand what you're saying, I knew I was writing something different when I started this one. I.. read more
Vian

10 Years Ago

Well, it was. I'm gonna go read some fluffy fanfiction to mend my broken heart.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

193 Views
4 Reviews
Added on February 6, 2014
Last Updated on February 6, 2014

Author

ZackOfBridge
ZackOfBridge

Camarillo, CA



About
Whats life but time enough to write stories? more..

Writing
New Shoes New Shoes

A Story by ZackOfBridge