The Ghost and the Goblin

The Ghost and the Goblin

A Chapter by Elizabeth A. Terry

His bare feet dangled over the edge of the cliff. The sky was clear, giving him a clear view of the fields below. It was a different field, a different clear sky, and, as he watched, he felt a longing for the field and sky he knew. He wasn't sure when he came to the new place. All he could remember was his brother's voice.


"It can't smell near water."


"Keep running!           , go, don't look back!"


And so he had. Ran and ran until everything blurred. When he stopped ... he was there, simply there in the air, floating in clothing he couldn't recall.


The boy's mouth deepened into a sullen frown, his fists tightening around the strange white cloth of his shirt. "Not like I can recall much anymore."


He wasn't supposed to be here. This world wasn't his anymore. His brother wasn't here. With a soft sigh, the boy glanced down. The city that took over the field was in the present. It was here, it was now.


Memories were fickle things when one was dead. Names, faces, and places faded the more time passed. And what did a ghost have? Nothing but time. He was called many things, the latest being--


"Sam! Sam, where are you?"


Sam pulled himself upright, his feet dangling several inches from the ground. He peered into the thick forest.


Two small eyes peered right back followed by a slim, long nose and a bulbous hairless head. The creature fought its way into the clearing, erratically swinging its short, twig-like arms.


"Breather, what are you doing out here?" Sam asked with a raised brow.


Breather, having won the battle against grass, grinned sheepishly, a bony hand unconsciously rubbing its large ears.


"Masters want you home. They say it's getting very, very late."


Sam doubted they used the term 'very, very,' but, knowing the creature, Breather had likely dashed out the house before they could even finish speaking. Already, before the boy could say or do anything, Breather was twitching to move on. Its large head continuously tilted side to side, miraculously not breaking from its way too small neck.


The boy nodded and, like a shot, Breather ran off ahead. Sam hesitantly smiled at the sight.



© 2017 Elizabeth A. Terry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

72 Views
Added on October 3, 2017
Last Updated on October 3, 2017
Tags: flash fiction, short story, supernatural, paranormal, ghosts, goblins, creatures, death