Mistaken Intentions

Mistaken Intentions

A Chapter by Elizabeth A. Terry

Mia Shelton was suffocating, her body so stiff and cramped the thirty-year-old was nearly certain she'd never walk again if she got out.
If.

She pushed back a sob and tightly closed her eyes. This was how it was going to end? All those nights of dreaming for an exciting life were cruelly answered. It wasn't what she wanted. Dying in the trunk of a stranger's car was not what she wanted.
"No, no, no," she muttered, tightening further into a ball, her face pressed against her clenched hands. 
The car slowed to a stop. Mia held her breath and began to really cry, the sob she attempted to keep contained coming back with full force. A car door slammed shut then silence, complete and utter silence.
She flinched back, going as far as she could in the small trunk, when a cold breeze met her unexpecting face. There was no light from what she could tell and she was too afraid to open her eyes to check.

"I thought I made it clear," a voice on the other side said, obviously agitated. "We have a no abduction policy." 
Someone sighed. "She wasn't cooperating. What did you expect me to do?"
"Well, not scaring her half to death would have been a wondrous start," the first voice sarcastically replied.
Mia dared to moist her dry lips while the two talked, fully expecting their attention to be on each other and not on the--apparently--unconscious hostage. Hope began to seep back into the situation. If it wasn't the 'policy' then maybe they'd let her go. It wasn't like she had seen any faces or heard any names.

A third voice interrupted, obviously female. "We have other means over kidnapping, Tom."


Mia clenched her fingers as best as she could, her nails biting into the flesh. Please, she pleaded whatever could be listening, don't let the name be real.


The second man, Tom, responded, his reply too low for Mia to hear without leaning forward.


"Ah," the woman began, "I had ... forgotten about your little problem. Still, Mr. Greene would have gladly stepped up if you had asked for help."


"No. You think this is bad?" Mia felt the slight movement of Tom's hand erratically gesturing towards her body. She shuddered uncontrollably. "That b*****d could do worse. You remember what happened in the White case, don't you?"


The three kidnappers went silent.


"That will never happen again," the first man, who had been overly silent since the woman appeared, whispered, his voice carrying an emotion foreign to Mia.


It went silent again. Finally, after what felt like hours, she heard someone's soft sighs, then the click-clack of heeled shoes as the woman walked away and--


"She's awake by the way. You might want to explain before she gets the wrong idea."



© 2017 Elizabeth A. Terry


My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

59 Views
Added on October 3, 2017
Last Updated on October 3, 2017
Tags: short story, flash fiction, supernatural, kidnapping, drama