Two Halves: chapter 24

Two Halves: chapter 24

A Chapter by aaaa
"

chapter 24

"

Nicolas sat on a barrel outside next to Zeckle. Bestalel was still inside explaining the details of the plan to Darris and Machone. The two of them gazed out over the silent black lake; even less lights were on in the station. Most of the guards had abandoned their posts in order to join in the party, and only one in three station still had a flicker of light from within. The hint of a echo of music still drifted from across base, as the party continued to gain intensity.

 

“I’ll give em one thing. They know how to be carefree,” said Zeckle, breaking the silence. “Even after they were just raided, they aren’t worried. They seem to just want to enjoy life while they got it. Makes me all nostalgic” she curled a lock of her hair around her finger and let it unwind itself slowly.

 

“What do you mean?” asked Nicolas. He had been thinking of their next course of action. Bestalel had said that the last group to be contacted was Sixteen Surgeons, and they only had another day until they were supposed to be heading to Earth-2. Which meant that Bestalel already had a meeting planned, hopefully.

 

“ Your dad. Even when we knew we were on out last legs, and that we were gonna lost the war in a matter of days. We never stopped having fun. Every night in the base camp us and the rest of the guys would party up a storm. Even when the base was being raided and we knew it was our final stand. He never stopped laughing. Just stood there in front of three of Salex’s guard captains smiling like a lunatic.” she propped her head on her interlaced fingers, and gazed over the water. In her eyes was a touch of sadness.

 

“I never really knew my dad. I was born right before the Blaze War, so he was already gone by the time I could walk. I wish I knew him, people always told me how great he was. Especially at the academy, every kid in Cloudtop wanting to become a proper mage wanted to be my friend. They thought being near the son of a clan leader would make them better.” responded Nicolas. His eyes glazed over when he thought back to the academy. Even during the height of the war Cloudtop never abandoned the academy. They always wanted to educate the new generation of mages. He had gone there at the age of six, like all other new students, and had trained there for over ten years. Even after the Blaze War continued the education, and was the only school of mages to survive the war.

 

“I remember when you were born. Your dad and me left right after we made sure you and your mom were ok. Cute kid, you were. Kinda squishy lookin though, by the way, still got that big old birth mark on ya foot. I always thought it looked silly.” she looked at him for a moment trying to keep a straight face. Then she covered her mouth as she burst into a fit of giggles. It was so powerful that she almost fell off her barrel, and as she ran out of breath she drew in great ragged breaths. Then the door behind them opened, and Bestalel stood in the doorway.

 

“We are finished. We are almost late to our next appointment. We have to meet a representative of Sixteen Surgeons. He plans to meet us in the Cats Hotel, and lead us to his base from there.” he announced, and started to walk away towards the other side of the base. Machone exited the room and began to follow him, and from inside Darris yelled a goodbye. After yelling back Nicolas turned around to see that Bestalel was already rounding a corner farther down the base, and he had to run to catch up.

 

“Who is going to be our guide?” gasped Nicolas as he caught up them. They were crossing a rope bridge in single file, and he was in the back. Bestalel was in the front leading the way.

 

“I do not know. From the letters exchanged with Mr. Ernie their leader carries the name of Mr. Q. This messenger is supposed to be one of his black ops agents.” they reached the other side of the bridge, and Nicolas sped to walk next to Bestalel. They approached the bridge leading into the village. Nearly all the houses were dark, most likely because most of the villagers were already at the party. As they neared the platform with the elevator Bestalel increased his pace slightly.

 

“Why are you goin so fast Besty? I almost have to run to keep up” Zeckle said from the rear of the group, it was true. Her strides were shorter and she had to keep nearly frantic pace to keep up. They stopped in front of the platform, and Machone began to pull levers on a small control panel.

 

“You have never heard of the leader of Sixteen Surgeons have ya? Ruthless b*****d. If he said his messenger was gonna be there area particular time I suggest ya be dere. We have had dealins with him before. Had to cut it off cause when one of our messengers was a few minutes late. He had em gutted like a fish, and sent back in a body bag. We woulda started a war over it, but dey are probably the most powerful guys around. They certainly outnumber us, and startin up a conflict woulda left us both crippled if Salex decided to  “ said Machone as they waited at the foot of the platform. A small object appeared at the ceils and slowly drifted downwards.

 

“If they did that, can we trust them?” stammered Nicolas

 

“Yeah, course ya can. They hate Salex even more than you do.” said Machone as the elevator slowly approached ground level. It hit the group with a thud, and Bestalel stepped onto the wooden platform.

 

“Why, what has Salex done to them?” asked Nicolas as the elevator began to ascend upwards.

 

“No idea, why don’t ya ask em yerself” yelled Machone after us, and as we lifted up into the darkness Nicolas gazed out to see the beacon of light that was the festivities of their victory.  



© 2010 aaaa


Author's Note

aaaa
sorry for the delay, the whole mothers day extravaganza coupled with a temporary computer failure caused me to not write a chapter for the past two days, but today I present to you chapter 24!

Also, I am not feeling to great about this chapter. I was having a bit of writers block, because this connects to story ideas. This is going to be used to transition into The Sixteen Surgeons meeting.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This is good. Not as good as some of your chapters, but I think you could fill it out a bit and it'll be fine. I love your dialogue. nice work.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It does seem a bit weak, but nothing a good once-over couldnt fix, as well as grammar. What I found lacking in this chapter was Nicolas' personal feelings about the whole situation. It would be nice to have a bit of an inner monologue.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Interesting installment, again. I like that you're spending a bit more time on character development again. That never really hurts you in writing. :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


Some polish is needed, I agree. The story seems to be moving forward and my only true suggestion is to be a bit more creative with your sentences. Spice them up a bit.

Posted 13 Years Ago


Nice work, just needs a bit of polishing. But for the most part, intersting story you have here.

Posted 13 Years Ago


It wasn't bad, I liked it as I always do. Just work on grammer.... P.S. Zeckle rules!!!!!!!

Posted 13 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

583 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 10, 2010
Last Updated on May 10, 2010
Tags: Dark, Gay, Hate, LGBT, Life, Sad, adventure, death, epression, fantasy, fiction, heart, horror, lost, love, pain, poem, poetry, romance, teen, two, halves, science

Two Halves


Author

aaaa
aaaa

Tracy, CA



About
aaaa more..

Writing
Sky Rails Sky Rails

A Book by aaaa