I Shouldn't Start With A Memoir

I Shouldn't Start With A Memoir

A Story by ZeniaK
"

Uh... a memoir

"

I Shouldn’t Start With a Memoir

 

            Deep breaths, girl… in, out, in, out…

            Heh. Prime of my youth, baby, and what am I doing? Well, while some people my age may be out “partying it up” or “at a sports game” (though I was never into either one. Waste of time, in my opinion), this girl was… well… quite possibly trying out for “The Wizard of Oz”. If I could get my damn nerves together in time, that is.

            I was standing outside the doors of the auditorium at my high school, while another girl was inside auditioning. Four other girls were waiting outside with me, but only one of which I could identify, Helen. I felt almost a little jealous of these other girls, who seemed to ooze confidence out of their pores and spoke to each other about the glamor of stage life. How many auditions have they been to? Like every one since they were, what, six? Oh, and before I forget to mention… this is my first one. Ever. I felt like I was in one of those ridiculous diver tanks when they swim around with the sharks. Everyone had sharp teeth and everyone was out for blood. I hadn’t realized how serious “The Wizard of Oz” could be, and quite frankly it was starting to scare me.   

            “I want to be Dorothy, obviously, who doesn’t?”

            “Really? I was thinking Glenda, I know I can totally rock her solo.”  

            I was only half-paying attention to them, but for some reason the way they talked really got on my nerves, like they already had it in the bag and they hadn’t even tried out yet. I rolled my eyes, though Helen was the only one who caught it. She smiled, and I could guess she knew what I was thinking. Helen was a pretty girl, and reminded me of a unicorn in some ways. She seemed quiet on a regular basis, but was very beautiful and had really large blue eyes that seemed to project kindness. She seemed like she didn’t fit in well with these other girls.

            The girl who was auditioning came out of the large double doors with the cocky smirk that seemed mirrored all over the other girl’s faces.  

            Well, shoot. That meant I was next. I could just hear someone in my mind yelling, “Next victim!” and I gulped. It wasn’t that I was scared of talking in front of people, actually I really enjoyed that, but it was the extremely small crowd of three or four “judges” that got to my nerves.

            The theater director at my school was a short woman with eyes that reminded me of a cat. She said, “So…” She looked down at her clipboard, “ZeniaK, what part do you want?”

            “Uh…” My mind blanked out on me. S**t! Why hadn’t I been thinking of that? I never thought I’d get a big part, anyway, so I never put much stock into the idea of which one I’d want.

            “Honey, you have to pick one.” Ouch. Impatience.

            “Wicked Witch.” I said off the top of my head, and I mulled the idea around in my head. Wicked Witch… well, I did have long, dark hair, so maybe…

            I won’t bore you with every detail of how I tried out with a section of “The Yellow Wallpaper” as my audition piece, but I will say that my solo of “Reflection” that I sang out of the Mulan Disney movie wasn’t bad (not that it mattered since I was trying out for the Wicked Witch and she didn’t have singing parts, but I guess it was just a formality… or something).

            We’d get callbacks a week later. That determines who sucked and who did not suck. In other words, who would get a main part and who would get to be a tree. I was banking on the trees.

            There would be eight or nine people at callbacks for the final decisions of the main cast. I didn’t bother to look at the list. I was a newbie, and these people had years of acting experience.

            Cassandra, who I’m very close friends with, came up to me later that day. “ZeniaK! I made it to callbacks, too!” She hugged me and squealed (and made me drop every one of my books).

            “Too?”

            She gaped at me in disbelief. “You didn’t read the list of who made it? But… but you’re on it!”

            You want to hear something funny? All those sharks standing outside with me at auditions? I didn’t see a single one of them on callbacks night.  

           

© 2013 ZeniaK


Author's Note

ZeniaK
Please review and I'll review you back. Say what you'd like, though if I really suck I'd ask you to refrain from swearing a lot. You may swear only a little. Thank you!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

You set the whole story up with you at a distinct disadvantage and really let it get nearly self deprecating. And then some how you best every one else. I liked the details and the characterization, but the ending was kind of a key down. For me personally happy endings just don't it.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ZeniaK

10 Years Ago

lol well it just so happened that part of my life had a happy ending. I got the part, btw, for the w.. read more
Seeing as this seems unique, I am going to go out on a limb, and presume that your other story you are writing is not going to end up being cliche. Love the way you depict the majority of the people trying out for the parts; cause dang, some people take that stuff really serious, almost to the bloodthirsty level you depict. This was a nice short story, just a small snippet.

Posted 10 Years Ago


Wow! Great story! I really enjoyed how you called the other people 'sharks' and things like that, to really show how nervous you were (although I'm guessing this was based around you . . .). Anyways, I really enjoyed reading, and I really liked the ending. Nice job!

Posted 10 Years Ago


This is a nice story. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ZeniaK

10 Years Ago

thank you very much.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K
So do you get to be the coveted "tree"? :-) It's a nice story. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Posted 10 Years Ago


ZeniaK

10 Years Ago

thank you for your review :)
Praveeta

10 Years Ago

You are welcome.
sounds really good you should really continue it

Posted 10 Years Ago


ZeniaK

10 Years Ago

well I have to live the next part before I write it, but I'll keep that in mind. :)
Alexis

10 Years Ago

lol good you should hope you get the part
ZeniaK

10 Years Ago

thanx!! :)

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

429 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 31, 2013
Last Updated on December 31, 2013

Author

ZeniaK
ZeniaK

Neverland, U-Kiss



About
Hey! So if you'd be so inclined to read and review my work, I will read and review yours back. I love reading, writing (Don't we all???), and wasting time on YouTube. I'm a nerd and I'm proud and I li.. more..

Writing
Good Boy Good Boy

A Story by ZeniaK


Crooked Chapter 1 Crooked Chapter 1

A Chapter by ZeniaK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


NEVERLAND NEVERLAND

A Poem by ZeniaK





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5