Prologue | Tomorrow

Prologue | Tomorrow

A Chapter by Keevan
"

Prologue to "Before The Lobotomy." Enjoy, please no harsh reviews.

"

Prologue

 

 

 

Gavin sat up, through with trying to sleep. He glanced at the clock on the wall facing him, which said seven forty three.

     That clock's been broken forever, Gavin thought. He turned his head to the right and looked at the sleeping form of his roommate, Carla. Her blanket had been pushed to the end of her bed, and her stuffed horse has fallen on the floor, just like every night. She was a restless sleeper.

     Gavin got up out of bed, feeling the cold cement under his bare feet. Silently, he walked over to Carla's side of the room and picked up her horse from the floor, which she almost never let go of. He rolled Carla onto her back, tucking the horse under her arm. He then proceeded to pull her blankets up and tuck her in for a second time that night.

     "Gavin?" Carla said, sleepily looking at him.

     "Didn't mean to wake you, Carls," he whispered, pulling her blanket back up to her chin. "You looked cold."

     "I was fine," she said. "Why are you still awake, Gav?"

     "Can't sleep," he said quietly. "Keep your voice down, Laramie might hear."

     "Laramie won't hear us," she said, though she did speak quieter. "It's really late." She paused. "Did the elephants come through tonight? I think I missed it."

     "You missed it," Gavin said, playing along. "You fell asleep early tonight."

     "Shoot," she whispered, her eyes closing again. "I wanted to see them tonight, Gavin."

     "You can see them tomorrow, Carla," Gavin whispered, his chest tightening. "Go back to sleep." But she already was. Gavin bent down and lightly kissed her forehead. "Goodnight, Carla."

     He walked back to his bed, thinking about the elephants. Carla says she sees elephants, when there are clearly none. Just like everyone else at the hospital, her brain isn't totally sane, either.

     Gavin laid back down, closing his eyes. He started thinking about tomorrow. Tomorrow was when they would come for him. The bitter end to his bitter world.

     He imagined how it would happen. Two nurses would probably come for him. They would take him to a dark and secluded area of the hospital and sit him down in an uncomfortable chair and strap his wrists and ankles to it. The nurses would maybe try to tel him it won't be so bad, that he won't even feel it. He wouldn't believe the nurses.

     And then the neurosurgeon would come in holding a silver tray filled with water. He would lock the door behind him and set the tray on a small table by his tools.

     'Are you ready?' he would ask. Gavin wouldn't answer. The neurosurgeon then would pick up his ice pick and small hammer and say, 'It'll all be over soon.'

     Gavin couldn't think past that. It was beginning to scare him. But, he was going to welcome it. Anything could be better than the life he's lived.



© 2011 Keevan


Author's Note

Keevan
The prologue is mainly foreshadowing. The following chapters are going to take place in the events leading up to "Tomorrow." Just letting you all know in case there's some confusion.

Besides that, what does everyone think so far? :D

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Carla seems like such a cute little character. It almost makes me sad that she sees elephants and that she missed them that night. Gavin kind of seems to have a caring personality. I guess I'll see how these characters develop! :3 This was a really good introduction to your story because it really interests the reader and makes them want to know what happens! At least that's the case with me. You're such a good writer. :) I really do look forward to reading this book! It's going to be great!
On to the next chapter! --->

Posted 12 Years Ago


I thought this was a good write. I think this was just really interesting. :)
I wonder why he is in the hospital. I guess I will see why when I read on. Thanks for sharing. :)

Posted 12 Years Ago


I read this out of order, go figure, and reading chapter 1 before the prologue, makes this chapter make more sense. I am enjoying this and will be favoriting like I said. Can't wait for more. Thanks for sharing.

Posted 12 Years Ago


Okay, honestly, I thought of American McGee's Alice when I read that whole thing about Carla tucking the horse under arm. This whole thing is very reminesent of it. But thats just because Im a gaming giganto nerd. :P

ANYHOW, I have a feeling that Im going to like Carla. At first I was like "What elephants?" but then you explained it and I was like "OOOOH". I honestly thought they lived in Africa at first, like maybe they herded in the elephants at night? Meh, Im dumb leave me alone.

So is everybody in Gavin's wing scheduled for a lobotomy? If so, then I can imagine the sense of horror and fear instilled in the patients. I cant help but feel like Carla is either emotionally before her age or is actually under 10 years old. If she was under 10, then that would force the reader to have some sort of sympathy towards the story as a whole. Im excited to see where Carla's character goes. :D

NAO, ABOUT GAVIN...Im very curious as to how he got into this hospital in the first place. Carla obviously is some sort of schizophrenic (sp?) and that excites me. As for Gavin, not much background is given. How did he get there? Why did he get there? Whats so wrong with him that he needs a lobotomy? Guess I'd better read on to find out!! :)

All in all, very interesting and I cannot wait for more!! Im hooked!!!

Posted 12 Years Ago


You put a sense of innocence through the madness of Carla's "visions". The hook was unique, starting at the end and jumping to the beginning to discover the reason for the outcome. It's like flipping to the back of a book and reading the last chapter, wondering what all of it means. It compels you to actually take the book and start from the beginning. Very nice job. I'm excited to learn about Gavin and what brought him to this point. Very eccentric. I hope you continue.

_Cloud

Posted 12 Years Ago


I loved it, it's a unique way of starting off and it's great. I liked the part where Gavin went over to pick up Carla's stuffed horse and tucked her in, that was so touching! :]

can't wait for more =]

Posted 12 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

390 Views
6 Reviews
Added on September 25, 2011
Last Updated on September 29, 2011


Author

Keevan
Keevan

MN



About
This account is active from time to time, but not much. If you send me a message or friend invite, odds are I won't respond. Since I"m in college, I'll be here from time to time but there are abso.. more..

Writing
Experiment 909 Experiment 909

A Story by Keevan


I I

A Chapter by Keevan