(Project) Draegoan: Chapter 3

(Project) Draegoan: Chapter 3

A Chapter by Zethsayber
"

Meanwhile, in the Kingdom of Galdur, Prince Aeron is about to undergo tests and trials of his own in his effort to become a Captain in the Knights of Gladur

"

 

Draegoan

 

Chapter 3

 

~~~

 

                Marcus sighed as the young man stumbled out into the courtyard, his long black hair in a tousled mess that stuck out at odd angles in odder places. Marcus crossed his arms over his chest, blocking from view the ornate coat of arms which was emblazoned upon it. The bottom of his faded black tunic ruffled slightly in the cool morning breeze, though the mid-morning sun revealed that the day was not going to be cool at all. He tapped his foot impatiently on the ground, the sole of his battered but faithful footwear making a solid thunk which echoed slightly in the outdoor garden. The rumple-haired youth continued to walk blearily towards Marcus, still rubbing sleep from his eyes which were still becoming accustomed to the bright outside light. He wore a sheepish grin as his eyes met those of Marcus. They were equal height, but Marcus’s bulk made him far more imposing. The boy wasn’t small, but Marcus was bigger.

                “I, uh, suppose I overslept again…” he said uncertainly.

                “Aeron, how long will it take you to learn to wake up at a regular time? I can’t count the number of times you’ve slept almost to lunchtime. You may be a prince, but you’re also a captain under my command; you’re lucky I’ve taken you under my wing. Any other general would not be as merciful as I am.

“I do have my limits though…” He commented as he let his eyes take in Aeron’s frowzy appearance.

Aeron did not argue with that. He was the second born prince of the Kingdom of Galdur, and therefore not eligible for inheritance, unless his brother, elder by three years, Erroan, were to die. Such an event, however, was highly unlikely in times of general peace; most of the continent of Nanthos had been blessed by a peace that had lasted so far for over thirty years. Since Aeron was not in direct line for the crown of Galdur, he had received a position in the Knights of Galdur two years earlier, when he had came of age.

Most of the other officers had not agreed with Aeron’s appointment to captain because of is young age. Marcus, a longtime friend of Aeron’s father, King Garm, as well as Senior Commander of the Knights, had defended Aeron’s situation. In the end, the Board of Officials had conceded on the grounds that Aeron would receive intensive training. Since then, he had taken Aeron as his charge, advising and training him in order to prove himself to the other commanders and captains; he had become like a second father to him. Even so, Marcus was not one to simply dismiss lack of responsibility. Too many years of being pampered in the castle life had softened Aeron to an extent. Marcus had, with some difficulty along the way, eradicated most of the effects of Aeron’s easy early life, replacing them with qualities he might need in battle.

Though relations between Galdur and its neighbors were at least on speaking terms, the kingdom had its fair share of domestic issues. More often than not the Knights of Galdur, years ago respected and feared for their ferocity in battle and undying loyalty to honor, had become more of the high police force in the country, when town and city militias were ill prepared to combat aggression from local enemies. To Marcus, who had fought in the most recent of small wars and battles over thirty years ago, such a mundane demeaning existence besmirched the noble legacy of the Knights of Galdur. Nonetheless, he was bound to serve the throne with loyalty and honor despite his objections to his purpose. As a soldier, there was no why something was, but simply that it was. Orders were orders, no matter what a simple soldier thought. Marcus had learned this lesson quickly, and intended to bring this same message home to Aeron. The boy was not unintelligent, but he was always ready to challenge anything, be it commands, strategies, or even long held customs or nature itself. In all of his challenges he was headstrong and passionate about his views. This had been Marcus’s biggest roadblock in training Aeron. Though challenging unjust or irrational ideas was not necessarily a bad quality, Aeron’s tendency to act before he thought was a bad trait, and it often led to breaking unnecessary rules. Marcus feared too much of this behavior would have an adverse effect on his squad.

Although Marcus had been working with Aeron for over two years now, he had not yet been assigned a squad. He had more than proven himself in combat exercises, but his temperament still denied him command responsibility. Unfortunately, this only made him more restless, challenging Marcus’s judgment more often than in the past. Until he overcame that, he would not receive absolute command of his own contingent of troops.

Today would be the beginning of the test of his responsibility and ability to be trusted with commanding power. In the past week, a small uprising of local bandits and upset militiamen had been causing trouble in the trade city of Corali. Because some of the revolting forces were of the city’s own forces, they were having trouble quelling the violence, and had petitioned for the aid of the Knights. Marcus had decided that the job was relatively small but challenging enough that he would allow Aeron to take it on as a test to his past years of training. If executed to Marcus’s and the Board of Officials’ desires, Aeron would be allowed his position as a captain in the Knights.

Marcus’s dark eyes returned to Aeron’s before he spoke again. His tone was no longer reprimanding, but stern and official.

“Come to attention!” he barked. It was not just Marcus speaking, but the valiant Senior Commander Marcus Oliver Venn, who needed no weapons besides his voice to strike fear into most hearts. As Aeron snapped to attention, Marcus let his hands fall away from his chest where they had been folded, allowing Aeron to see the Coat of Arms of Galdur: A double-hilted war sword with a serpent-like dragon coiled around the blade.

                It was said that the Knights of Galdur had been known as the Dragonsbane over two thousand years ago when dragons had threatened the people on Nanthos. Legends about those times told of mythical battles of magic and destruction when magic was a common thing in the life of people. It was also said that Beirm, the capital of Galdur was carved from a mountain by the wizards of old. Despite these legends, only a few ancient texts and mysterious places retained magic. Some people claimed of remote places where there were creatures that supposedly possessed magic, but these claims and sightings were becoming rarer. Most young children only believed magic as part of a big fairytale their parents used to get them to sleep and that it never existed in the world.

Marcus watched Aeron, who seemed to be concentrating on the Coat of Arms, probably recalling some of those fairytales he undoubtedly heard from other children while he was young, but also realizing that something important was about to happen. Marcus never wore the crest unless on official business. Marcus cleared his throat, causing Aeron’s eyes to instantly snap up to his. He maintained his impassive commanding tone

“Aeron, a recent report has come in from central Galdur. The trade city of Corali has recently been under attack by a large force of bandits, as well as suspected deserters from their own militia. It is not know why the militiamen have joined forces with the bandits, but the city has petitioned for the assistance of the Knights. I have come to issue you authority for the task. You will be given a small contingent of soldiers in order to complete your task. I will accompany you, but only in observational capacity. This will test your ability to lead and command troops effectively.

“You will depart from Beirm in three days at sunrise. I suggest that you gather anything you need well in advance to departure.”

Aeron looked blankly at Marcus. It was apparent that he was a bit taken aback, partly because of his disheveled appearance, and partly because he was not fully awake. Marcus watched as realization dawned on the young man before him, his eyes growing with awe. He quickly snapped a salute to Marcus, bowing deep as he did so.

                “Right away sir, I won’t disappoint you, you can count on that.”

                “See that you don’t. Do what you feel is necessary to prepare. From this moment, everything is your responsibility. Dismissed.”

                Marcus watched as Aeron rose, turning on the spot as he did so, and rushed off in the direction he had come from, now fully awake. The old commander smiled to himself as Aeron disappeared around the bend. He only hoped that the boy could keep his head in the days to come.

•••

                Aeron burst through the door into his room, hardly able to breathe. He had dashed full speed through corridors and dozens of flights of stairs without stopping, filled with the excitement of the moment. His first official mission. His heart raced with the thought of it. As a young boy, he had always looked up to the captains and leaders of the Knights, and had always dreamed of becoming one. Now he was being given the chance to live that dream.

                He reprimanded himself. This was a test. He had to keep his cool and act like a proper leader to prove his mettle. Marcus might be coming along, but Aeron knew that he would not go easy. He may have become a fast friend to the cantankerous old giant, but that did not mean anything when it came to matters of business. The sudden formal address just a moment ago was proof enough of that.

                Aeron straightened himself, hoping to regain a little composure. He had to do this job right. All his life, he had longed for acceptance in his father’s eyes. The man who had cast him aside, supplying his brother Erroan with everything he could ever want. Granted, Aeron did not live a hard life, but compared to the opulence that his father Garm supplied to Erroan, Aeron was like a peasant. He had been initially excited when he had been informed that he would be part of the Knights, but later he decided that his father had simply arranged it so that Aeron would be out of the way and occupied so that he would not need to bother with him.

                He walked across his room and threw aside the curtains on his windows, blinking as the morning sun melted the darkness that had previously gripped his room. As dust motes spiraled languidly downward in the beams of sunlight, Aeron drew up a mental plan for the next few days. He would need to check and make sure all of his equipment was ready to go, meet his squad members, and more than likely find more information about the task itself.

                In the next few days, he would prove himself to those who doubted him, and he would be on his way to his dream of becoming the greatest Commander of the Knights of Galdur that ever lived.



© 2008 Zethsayber


Author's Note

Zethsayber
I wanted a little more out of this chapter, but I ran myself into a wall. If it feels like it ends abruptly, that's why. I still can't seem to get the indenting to look right after copy-paste.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

272 Views
Added on May 10, 2008


Author

Zethsayber
Zethsayber

Ashburn, VA



About
I am a student of industrial design at Virginia Tech. I do mostly drawing, but I also enjoy the act of writing. Poetry and prose, anything is fine, though I don't prefer essays and much non-fiction; i.. more..

Writing
The Fiddler The Fiddler

A Story by Zethsayber


Songstep Songstep

A Poem by Zethsayber