The Fiddler

The Fiddler

A Story by Zethsayber
"

The young daughter of an aging toymaker gets caught up in her father's past, reviving an old struggle he had long abandoned.

"

It was a lonely place; the old wooden buildings desiccated and worn by the sands of time. Snakelike vines infested the façades of the buildings, invading the old boards that once gleamed brightly with fresh paint.

Everything was dead. Even the vines had long dried up, unable to find life in the desolation. A grey dust hung in the air, stifling the few sounds that dared to enter into the somber place. Even the sky, dull and slate with overcast clouds, echoed the despair of the land. No birds sang, and no insects cried out to their fellows. The old cobblestone path had not been touched by life in ages.

Until now, as the sound of slow, measured footsteps echoed around the dusty street.

An old woman rounded the corner of the street, emerging from a hazy alleyway. She looked sadly at the old decaying walls as she walked with purpose down the dead path. She carried an oblong case with her, which bore the scars of heavy use. She passed an old, grime-stained window, pausing to peer inside. She smiled fondly, seeing the old workshop undisturbed. Odd trinkets and toys still lined the shelves, from strange metallic devices that did nothing more than spin crazily in hand, to little wooden toy soldiers on horses. A collection of unfinished and frayed sack dolls lay piled in front of a cabinet; more were scatted around the floor near the stack. Woodworking tools littered the counters and shelves, as if someone left them before finishing what they were doing.

Turning away, she walked further down the street towards the old door, which hung crazily on its broken hinges. Placing her battered case down, she gingerly opened it, afraid that it might turn to dust at her touch. The door creaked loudly as it swung out, crying out angrily for being disturbed after so many years. The woman stepped into the dark room, squinting to take in her surroundings.

The front of the store was in shambles. The shelves that lined the left side of the room had been overturned; toys lay strewn everywhere. Tables were askew all over the floor, their contents scattered and broken. On the right, the counter was bashed to pieces, its splintered shards littering the ground nearby. The stairs in the back were shattered and splintered, preventing her from going up. Dried blood caked a few of the walls. The door to the workshop sat in fragments on the ground, blown completely off its hinges. A smear of something travelled from the doorway to the front entry.

It was just as she left it.

She walked carefully around the front counter and into the workshop, leaving footprints in the thick dust. She had not been able to see that the ground inside was a burnt red, cracked and dried like a wasteland. Her eyes burned, and she turned away, going back outside.

The old woman bent over, her bones creaking with age and use, and opened up her case. Inside was a beautiful fiddle. Though it was as old as she was, its surface gleamed with a beautiful deep red color. It seemed to brighten the grey street, bringing life to the overbearing sense of death.

She lifted the bow out first, carefully applying a touch of resin to its delicate hairs. She reverently took the beautiful fiddle from its resting place, placed it on her shoulder, and began to play a song she had not played for many years.

Her skilled, calloused fingers moved slowly at first, refusing to play the song which brought her so much sorrow. The first notes quavered somberly in the dark, but each one brightened her surroundings slightly. The song accelerated suddenly, the rapid pitches rising and falling manically. Tears sprang forth from her old eyes as the memories flowed in. The street transformed around her as the song built in intensity, color returning to the walls, and everything seemed to move backwards in time.

The little girl gave an energetic hop as the song peaked, her long red hair flowing as she twirled gracefully in midair without skipping a beat. He brown checkered skirt fluttered slightly around her tall boots as she adjusted her long black jacket. She curtsied sweetly while the passer-bys clapped enthusiastically, a few of them tossing coins into the bag at her feet. As they moved along with their business, she sat down against the wall of the toyshop, watching her breath curl lazily out in the cold. She sighed, pulling off her little green beret and wiping her forehead with her sleeve. She looked around the quaint street as she placed her little red fiddle back in its case. The street bustled with life, as vendors lined the cobblestone walkways trying to sell their wares. Leaning forward, she picked up the bag of coins, counting them out quietly to herself, when over the clamor of the street someone called her name.

“Alicia!”

She looked to her left to see an older man poking his head out of the workshop window.

“I had the window open and heard your song. You’re getting much better!” he said, smiling through a bushy brown beard, flecked with gray. His thick glasses magnified a pair of cheery blue eyes.

“Thank you Papa, but you know you’ve heard it before,” she responded, smiling back at him.

“That doesn’t make it any less good!” he called, “Now come on back inside, let’s have some lunch. You must be hungry after all that!”

Alicia nodded profusely as she picked up her fiddle case and bag of money and walked to the entrance. The front door was open, but no customers were inside. It swung silently behind her as she closed it, making sure to place the “Out to Lunch” sign on the outside first. She watched her father as he placed a few toys on the shelves.

“And how is my dear Alicia?” he shouted suddenly, picking her up in a great bear hug and spinning around. She gasped at his sudden attack and laughed as they spun.

“Put me down you big bully!” she cried jokingly.

“Not a chance! I’ve got to cook you for lunch today! I’m all out of chicken and I hear little girl soup is quite delicious,” he taunted, slinging her over his shoulder and making for the stairs.

“I’d taste terrible!” she moaned, whacking his shoulder lightly with her fists in mock tantrum, “I’m all skinny and gristly!”

“Well then I suppose that we’ll just have to settle for sandwiches now won’t we?” he conceded, placing her down gently at the top of the staircase, “and no complaints, it’s all we have right now.” Alicia grumbled a little, but she knew better than to make a big deal. She sat down at the little table, watching her father move about making food. He was thinner than she remembered, though he was still a powerful man. He was very tall, but stocky, although his large, calloused hands belied their delicacy and expertise in craft. He kept his tangled mane of hair pulled back to keep it from interfering with his work, for when unfurled it often exploded into an unmanageable furry mess. He wore a simple tan shirt and slacks, over which he usually wore an apron where he kept his tools.

Distracted, she looked around their humble kitchen. It was a cramped room with a small counter on the left, at which her father was currently preparing the meal. On the other side was a wood-burning stove, whose grated door stood quiet and cold. A thin layer of wood dust sat on the ground beside it. Opposite her was a door that led to their bedrooms.

He came to the table with their meager lunch, looking tired.

“So how much did your wonderful music make us today?” he asked.

Frowning, Alicia put the coin bag on the table, which made a dull clink, “Just a few pennies, I think there might have been a silver in there too.”

Her father sighed, “Well it’s better than nothing. The silver is lucky at least. It’s so hard to make money these days with all the soldiers everywhere. Nobody feels safe going out, and the taxes are just too high. People can only afford the bare necessities,” he stopped to take a messy bite out of his food, “Nobody needs a toymaker like me.”

“But I like your toys!” Alicia asserted.

“I know you do. But not everyone does, and even if they do, they probably can’t afford them right now.”

“Why do the soldiers have to make thing so bad, Papa?”

“I don’t know, Alicia. If we knew the answer to that we might not have wars anymore.”

Just then, there was a violent knocking on the door downstairs. Alicia’s father gave her a “stay here” look, and he went downstairs. She could hear the door opening, and the muffled sounds of her father talking to someone. She could not make out exactly what went on, only something about “all I have” and “it’ll be enough for today.” There was some shuffling and what sounded like metal clinking together, then footsteps and a loud slam.

Her father emerged a few moments later, looking sullen.

“Who was that?” Alicia asked.

“Nobody really,” he responded dully.

“It was a soldier wasn’t it, Papa?”

He ran his hands through his hair in despair, “Yes, he came earlier than usual this week. I don’t know what to do anymore.” He let out a rather hefty sigh; he was a sturdy man, “I wish your mother was here,” he sighed loudly, staring off at nothing, “She’d know what to do. Took everything we had of her except that violin and it’s hardly doing us any good either. Damned Imperials!”

He growled angrily, walked across the kitchen to his room, and closed the door loudly, leaving Alicia to finish her food alone. She wondered why the soldiers wanted so much from them. She sat in silence for a while, chewing disinterestedly on her sandwich occasionally, until she drifted off to sleep. She saw her mother in her dreams; she sang to her sweetly while playing lullabies on the beautiful fiddle.

***

Her mother’s singing faded out, and suddenly Alicia found herself surrounded by trees, chilled by wind and drenched with rain. Thunder shook the ground as she ran, tugged along by her father’s iron grip. He was clean-shaven, his body well shaped and muscular. A small group covered their rear, led by a tall woman, who fired a large crossbow into the darkness. She carried a dark case on her back.

“Leanne!” Alicia’s father bellowed, “Stop wasting your shots and hurry! We’ve got to get to safety!”

Alicia stumbled, catching her boot on a large root crossing the path, and slipped from her father’s grip. She coughed painfully, and tears mixed with the rain on her face. Slipping to a halt, he turned and scooped Alicia up into his powerful arms. As she bounced gently in his grip, she could hear the sounds of shouting men drawing closer behind them, punctuated by cries of death.

“Leanne!” her father shouted again. The woman ran up alongside them as a flash of lightning lit up her crimson hair like fire.

“I’m here, I’m here,” she gasped, “Those men need all the help they can get, Nathan”

“We’re almost to the road, and I can’t lose you,” he said, breathless, “Stay up here with me, the troops can handle themselves,”

The sounds of the storm took over again, and Alicia stared in confusion at her parents. She did not know exactly what was going on, but she knew her parents would keep her safe. After a while of running, Nathan stopped, and swung her back to the ground gently.

“Can you walk?” he asked. A few soldiers came up from behind, their armor clanking loudly.

“Yes, Papa, I’m ok.” Alicia responded. Though she was still a little shaky, she wanted to strong like her parents. She looked around at the large clearing where they stopped. Ahead of her, she could make out a large carriage, drawn by two horses. A small road turned away and out of sight. Everywhere else was a thick wall of trees.

“Come on Alicia,” Leanne said softly, “Let’s get you into the carriage.” She took her hand and walked her carefully to the road, Nathan following close behind. They helped her up into the cab. Leanne removed the fiddle case from her back, handing it to Alicia, and shut the door once she was safely in.

“No, you too,” Alicia heard Nathan shouting through the door, “We need to get to safety before they catch up to us.”

“There’s no safe place in this land as long as Richard is on the throne,” she said adamantly, “and the only way to make is safe is to kill every last one his men! You of all people must understand this, Nathan. I’m staying and fighting.”


“We’re fighting a losing battle here Leanne, there’s no way we can stop them all. It’s about time I give up on this and start change from the inside.” Alicia inched closer to the door of the cab, which had a small window in it. Wiping a clear spot in the condensation, she could make out her parents. He mother straightened, glaring at Nathan.

“That is not the Nathan I know.” She said coolly, “He would fight to the last breath for what he believed in! Not give up, tail between his legs.”

“I’m not giving up!” He countered, “Can’t you see? We’re running for our lives, fleeing our homes! We’ve lost this war. We need to disappear, to start anew. We can change this land from the inside; I can feel it! But I need your help to do it.”

Leanne gazed at Nathan, still breathing heavily.

“Fine, but only—”

“There they are! Get them!”

From the trees, a throng of soldiers clad in red armor poured out, brandishing an array of weaponry. The few men who had been with Alicia’s parents came out and met them, and Leanne fired a few shots into the oncoming forces.

“You have to escape, m’lords! We’ll hold them off!” A soldier shouted, but Nathan had already drawn the large sword he kept at his side. He charged in, tearing a path of death wherever he swung.

“Hear me, I am Nathan the Viper! Feel my fangs!” He laughed maniacally, “To the gates of Hell with all of you!”

Alicia could not quite make out everything through her small window, but it looked as if the Imperial soldiers were being pushed back.

Suddenly, a second force swept in from the other side of the clearing, bearing down on the weary defenders. At their lead was a slender man shouted over the din.

“I’ve finally got you cornered, Viper! This is the end for you!”

Nathan turned to face the new forces, his sword dripping with blood.

“Leanne! Take the carriage and get yourself and Alicia out of here!” She nodded, aware of the change in events, and sprinted towards the carriage. The world moved in slow motion for a moment as Leanne stumbled. An arrow seemed to grow from out of her chest, and she fell to her knees.

“Mama!” Alicia shouted, bursting out of the carriage.

“Alicia!” Leanne coughed, struggling to stand back up, “Go back inside, it’s not safe, please. G-go back.” Alicia tried to help support her weight, but she was not strong enough.

“Papa! Help!” Alicia called out. Nathan whirled around, pulling his blade from the limp form of an enemy. He motioned to a few of his allies and fell back to his wounded wife. He lifted Leanne gingerly in his arms.

“N-Nathan,” she cried, “Get out, so you can keep f…fighting,” her voice shook tenuously.

“Not without you. Get back in the carriage Alicia. Hurry!” he shouted, and turned back to the battle, which was growing ever closer, “Alex! You know where to meet us!”

Alicia clambered back up into the carriage again, while Nathan laid Leanne in as gently but quickly as possible.

“Keep an eye on her, it’s going to be a bumpy ride,” he admonished, and leapt into the front, grabbing the reins. There was a lurch, and they were off into the darkness, leaving the brave few soldiers to retreat into the woods. Leanne coughed feebly as they sped down the old road. Even in the darkness, Alicia could see a dark patch of blood seeping into her mother’s rain-soaked tunic. Her breath came in ragged gasps, even after she drifted off into a fitful sleep.

Alicia felt tears come to her eyes. She hated those soldiers in red. She could not understand why they had to fight her parents. The trip was a blur in her memories, and when they finally came to a halt, the first signs of dawn were creeping on the horizon. She could hear the muffled sound of her father talking to someone.

“The decoy coach was sent away as you asked, sir,” a voice said.

“Good, good. No one followed you? How many men did we lose?” Nathan asked. He sounded tired, but relieved.

“We lost threescore. Grayson is currently in the city helping with the wounded, and the rain was more than enough to cover our tracks,” the other man responded.

“Alright. Take care Alex. I don’t think we’re going to sacrifice any more lives for a while. If I ever need you again I’ll contact you somehow. Now, I need to see to Leanne,” Nathan said.

“Yes m’lord, are you sure you want to do this?” Alex said.

“Please Alex, I’m just Nathan now. Nathan the Toymaker,” he paused, and then chuckled, “Quite a change in careers. And I’m sure it’s the right thing to do. Leanne may not agree right now, but I’m sure she’ll realize that we’ve spilled too much blood already.”

There were footsteps, and Nathan opened the door to the cab, smiling fondly at Alicia.

“My brave little Alicia,” he said, picking her up, “let’s get your mother to the doctors,”

“Is Mama going to be ok?” Alicia asked.

“I don’t know, little one,” he responded, looking at Leanne’s wound, “I don’t know,”

The scene melted away, and Alicia was kneeling by her mother’s bed, dry-eyed and solemn. Nathan was next to her, his heavy hand resting shakily on her shoulder. His eyes were bloodshot, and he looked like he had not shaved in several days. Across the bed, a gray haired man frowned, putting a few rolls of blood soaked cloth in a handbag.

“The wound is deep, and the bleeding won’t stop. Your wife is strong; you should be happy she has survived this long.” He paused, looking at Nathan sadly, “I am truly sorry.” He stood up and walked silently out of the room.

Leanne smiled weakly, wincing. There was a faint red stain showing through the bed sheets.

“I’m sorry for being such a burden,” she said, her voice faint and shaky.

“Don’t be,” Nathan said, his voice cracking, “You don’t need to apologize. I didn’t protect you well enough.”

“Stop your nonsense. If anyone is to blame, it’s Richard.” She said hoarsely. Alicia looked at her mother, her eyes burning now.

“Mama, I’m gonna get him back for this, I promise! I’ll be strong like you,” Leanne laughed a little, which caused her to cough in pain.

“My brave, brave daughter,” she smiled again, “Don’t throw your life away just yet Alicia. Help your father,” she closed her eyes, breathing deeply, “I want you to have my fiddle; you’ve always loved my songs, so bring happiness to others.” She turned her head to Nathan.

“My beloved Nathan,” tears welled up in her eyes, “I’m sorry we couldn’t stop that man together. Keep on fighting for us. D-Don’t give up. You can still win, I know it. I leave everything to you...” she struggled with her last words.

Leanne laid her head back against the pillows, and she breathed her last.

“Leanne!” Nathan choked, fighting back tears, placing his hands on her strong, yet delicate shoulders, “Leanne! Please, come back! You can’t die yet!”

“Mama…” Alicia whispered to herself, tears running silently down her cheeks.

***

Alicia woke suddenly to a massive noise outside. She sat up, her mind slowly returning to the present, when suddenly Nathan bolted past her, a blur in the growing darkness.

“God no, after all these years?” he yelled at no one in particular as he bounded down the steps three at a time, adding as he went, “Stay in the house Alicia!”

She sat up, now fully awake, wondering what was going on. She could hear shouting from outside. There was another loud crash, and she could feel the ground shake. Curious and frightened, she walked nervously down the stairs and into the workshop to peek out the window.

Outside, there was utter chaos. People were running everywhere, and others lay still on the ground. Soldiers in red armor marched systematically across the street, cutting down anyone they saw with their blades. A few carried large bows and fired into the crowd, cleaving a path of death wherever they shot. The sun had almost set, covering the scene in an eerie blanket of red twilight.

Her mother’s final words echoed in her ears as she watched the men slaughter everyone in sight. She grabbed one of her father’s carving knives from a worktable, and ran outside, ignoring his admonition.

She looked over her shoulder, afraid soldiers would see and follow her, but none were in sight. They must not have made it far into the city yet. She hoped she could find Nathan quickly. She ran down the streets, her boots echoing over the sounds of distant battle. Ahead of her, she could see a tall man, walking slowly towards her. She stopped, not sure if it was her father or not. The man continued forward, and drew a large axe from his waist.

Without warning, he charged forward, brandishing his weapon violently. Alicia stood her ground, determined not to run away. She could see her mother still, fighting bravely until the very end.

The soldier lunged forward, but Alicia was ready, she slid out of the way as he brought his heavy axe down, striking only the stone street. The impact jarred him, and Alicia moved behind him, jabbing and slicing at the back of his thighs. He howled in pain, falling to one knee.

Surprised at her actions, Alicia let go of the knife, which remained lodged in the man’s leg. He twisted around, trying to grasp for her, but she had backed up against a wall out of his reach.

“That’s for my Mama!” she taunted, scowling at the wounded man.

“You little wretch!” he growled, ripping the knife from his leg and standing back up, “I’ll teach you a lesson you won’t soon forget!” Alicia started to run but the soldier was faster, despite his injured leg, and he pinned her to the wall by her neck.

“Stop right there!” a voice shouted. Alicia’s assailant turned to the newcomer, another Imperial soldier.

“Is there something wrong Sergeant? The Commandant said show no mercy and this little brat attacked first anyways!”

The second man regarded his subordinate coolly. “Yes he did, but do you realize who you have here?” He turned to Alicia, “What is your name, little girl?”

Alicia glared at the Sergeant, “I’m Alicia,” she said as proudly as she could through his tight grip, “Alicia Vende.” Her attacker released her from the wall, astounded.

“You mean?”

The Sergeant nodded, “Just as I thought, she’s the Viper’s daughter. She looks just like his wife. Bind her. We can use her to lure him out.”

“Damn right you can!” a voice bellowed. The first soldier was knocked flat by Nathan as he came crashing in on him from the side. Grabbing the fallen man’s axe, he shouted, “Look away, Alicia!”

Alicia clamped her eyes shut, and heard a whooshing noise, followed by a dull thud. “Papa, are you ok?” she called.

“It’s ok, open your eyes Alicia,” she opened them to see her father looking back at her. He looked at her sternly, “I told you to stay in the shop, Alicia, why didn’t you listen?”

“I was worried and scared,” she said, “And I wanted to help fight. Mama would have too.”

Nathan smiled fondly, “You’re right. You really are your mother’s daughter,” his expression turned stern, “But you have to be careful, this is serious. Now, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, I hurt the soldier more than he did me!” she said confidently, standing up easily.

“Let’s go then. Take my hand, we have to hurry,” she grabbed his outstretched hand, and they took off running. Alicia struggled to keep up as Nathan ran pell-mell through the streets, ducking into alleys and felling soldiers who tried to stop him. There was no one by the toyshop when they arrived.

“Quick, get inside before anyone comes!” he pushed her roughly inside and shut the door behind them, locking it tightly.

“What’s going on, Papa?” Alicia asked, her voice quivering with fear.

“I don’t have time to explain right now Alicia, you have to understand,” Nathan said, looking away from her, “I’ll explain when we get out of here. Right now, I need you to gather everything you can fit in a bag, and your fiddle. When you’re done come back down here,” he paused for a moment, flustered, before walking to the other side of the room.

“Grayson! Alex! Are you here?” he called. Almost immediately, two men bounded down the stairs. They were clad in simple chainmail tunics, and each carried a long spear.

“At your service, m’lord,” they chimed, kneeling.

“Cut the formalities. Thanks for coming out to fight for me one last time.  I don’t know how Richard located us, but he seems to think we’re still intent on fighting. I’d all but given up after he took Leanne, but if he wants one more fight, we’ll give it to him.” The two men nodded gravely.

While Nathan explained something to the two men, Alicia ran up the stairs, gathering the few things she owned, and stuffing them into an old canvas bag. She grabbed her mother’s fiddle, and came back down the stairs to see her father fastening his old sword around his waist.

“Alright, they have almost all of the exits out of town blocked, but I know of a couple back alleys that will get us out of here safely and without their notice. Stick together, and have your wits about you. Grayson, bring up the rear. Alex, I want you in front with me. Keep Alicia between us,” he turned to his daughter, and handed her a small dagger.

“This was your mother’s,” he said quietly, “Keep it on you and don’t be afraid to defend yourself. You’re a strong girl. Now, let’s go.”

Before they could do anything, there was a loud crunch from the door.

“Damn it! They’re already here!” Nathan yelled. He swept around and kneeled close to Alicia. “I want you to go hide somewhere, right now. Stash your things under the loose floorboards in the workshop, but keep that dagger on you, no matter what! Stay hidden until I say to get out. And no buts!” he whispered, and quickly stood up to face the door, which had just taken another heavy blow.

Alicia hurled herself into the workshop and lifted up the floorboards by the entrance, putting her fiddle and her bag under them first. She looked high and low for a place to take refuge. It was a relatively small room, accessible only from behind the store counter. A long worktable was set against the right wall, which continued to the far side of the room. To her left were a series of small tool cabinets and shelves. In front of them was a large pile of unfinished dolls, large enough that she might be able to bury herself in them. She did not have any other options, so she quickly scrambled under the mountain of stuffing and hid the best she could.

Pushing a few dolls slightly, she made a slit from which she could see the front room. She had never seen her father act like this since the night in her dreams. She wished her mother were still here to help.

There was another crash, and from a little space in her doll mound Alicia could see the door crash inward, splinters flying. It swung crazily on its bottom hinges, and three men stepped inside. It was hard to tell who they were, but she knew they were not friendly. Nathan, Grayson, and Alex stood valiantly blocking the way.

“Kill the others,” a bored sounding voice said, and the two other men to either side of the speaker lifted their weapons. Alicia felt Grayson and Alex’s body hit the ground like sacks. The Imperial soldiers calmly wiped the blood from their weapons as the third man stepped forward. He was thin and bony looking, his skin seemed to stretch too tightly over his bony face. He had thin, brown hair that looked like a mass of thin spikes protruding from his skull. His small eyes were cold and dark, masked behind disinterested, half-closed eyelids. His posture was impeccable, and kept his hands clasped behind his back. He wore a simple black and red uniform with a high collar. He stood in front of Nathan, staring directly into his eyes; they were of equal height. Neither man moved a muscle.

“So, Nathan…you were here the whole time, under our very noses,” the bored sounding man said, now pacing calmly around the store. “A toymaker?” he cackled, “Not very fitting for a man of your repute. I can’t believe you managed to avoid me so easily for so many years. Five years it’s been now?” Nathan stood stoic, unspeaking.

“No matter, I finally have you. Now then, where is Alicia? This just won’t be the same without her here! I can’t believe she wouldn’t want to meet her only uncle!” he said almost cheerfully, clapping his hands together and sneering. Nathan stood, his eyes burning with hatred.

“You are no brother of mine, you scum!” He growled, “The Richard I know died long ago with my father.”

Richard laughed, a sort of high-pitched cackle, “You still believe in that old dried up man’s dreams? That’s why I am now the Emperor; I cast aside his petty ideals and visions. He was delusional.”

“No, you’re the Emperor because you murdered him, little brother, and banished everyone who didn’t agree with you!” Nathan countered, “And now thousands suffer because of your decisions.”

Richard grinned cruelly, “You have it all wrong, Nathan! My plans were fine. Besides, Father was sick and dying anyways, I just did him a favor. If you hadn’t interfered with your little ‘resistance,’ everything would be wonderful! Yet now you leave me no choice but to dispose of you. To think I would have to kill my own brother, who would cause so much pain and strife…”

“That’s why I cast that behind me! I gave up and stopping you by force long ago! Ever since you took Leanne from me, I didn’t know what I was doing! I thought I could stop you by changing this land from the inside, but I guess I was wrong.” Nathan said, tears in his eyes, “You’re a lunatic, blinded by your own power and ego.”

“Maybe,” Richard said, “But you still had men in this city today. I can’t trust that you won’t rise up again. Now, if you’ll do the honors, Captain, I don’t think I could do it myself,” he said in mock sorrow as he turned his back, waving his hand distractedly.

In that instant, Nathan charged the men, dropping down and kicking their feet out from under them. One of them cracked their head against the counter, leaving a large dent in the surface. Alicia lost sight of the brawl when they went down, but in a moment, her father stood up. He started moving towards the workshop door when Richard struggled back up and dove at Nathan from behind. They tumbled forward, smashing the part of the front counter to pieces. They rolled through the doorway to the workshop and crashed into the cabinets next to Alicia. Nathan was on the bottom, now trapped sitting up against the shelves.

“Bah!” Richard scoffed. He stood up, his foot on Nathan’s chest, preventing him from getting up, “They don’t call you ‘The Viper’ for nothing, Nathan, but you’ve grown slow. You should have known it was useless to stand up to me. Now, I’ll ask you again. Where is your daughter? I can’t be bothered to let any of your family live.”

“She’s got nothing to do with this, Richard!” Nathan pleaded

“Fine. I’ll look for her myself then. With any luck she’s already dead on the streets somewhere,” he added, grinning cruelly. He pressed his foot down, and a there was a loud crack as Nathan screamed in pain.

“Goodbye, dear brother,” he said, smiling, and pressed his full weight down on his chest. There was a sickening crunch, Nathan gasped, and then lay still. Richard scowled, and turned to limp out of the room.

Before he could get to the door, Nathan heaved his body up and dove at him. The man shrieked in anger as Nathan’s arms wrapped around his neck.

“Looks like you really do live up to your name, Nathan! Just like a snake, I can’t kill you without taking off your head!” Richard yowled, throwing him off.

“I said, goodbye!” he said, pulling out a small knife. Alicia closed her eyes, but she could not block out the sound of her father’s body falling to the ground.

When she dared open her eyes, Alicia could only stare in horror at the limp form of her father, unable to move at all. She could hear his killer shouting orders to search the outside, and a few soldiers marched into the house. They picked up the bodies of Grayson and Alex, and dragged them outside. After a while, more men came in, checking all the corners of the house. A few ransacked the drawers behind the front counter where her father kept the money. Others overturned the tables and shelves, ransacking the house and store for everything it had.

Alicia froze in fear every time they looked at her in her hiding place, but it seemed as if no one wanted to come near the body of Nathan. Just when it looked like the Imperials had moved on, Richard entered the building and walked over to his brother’s body, still limping slightly.

“It’s a shame it had to come to this,” he said quietly to himself, looking around the humble workshop. His eyes fell on Alicia’s hiding place. His bored eyes narrowed, and she could see his face light up in another twisted smile.

“Hello, Alicia,” he said, reaching his arm out towards her. As he neared, she gripped her mother’s dagger tightly in her hands, and lunged upwards without warning. The half-finished dolls scattered around the room, where they quickly began to suck hungrily at the blood that covered the ground.

Richard gurgled slightly, staring in horror at the dagger that protruded from his neck. His hands groped silently at Alicia, but reached only air as she removed her blade and stepped backward, shocked at what she had done.

“Looks…just like…Leanne…” Richard choked, as he slumped to the ground. His eyes rolled back in his head, and he lay still as his brother.

Alicia huddled against the wall, her body racked with silent tears. She wept long after the sun had set. She did not remember how long she sat there, or if she had even been awake the whole time. It was like a dream that was all too real.

Eventually she found the strength to stand up. Everything was silent. The Imperials had clearly left, but it would only be a matter of time before they realized Richard was dead, and would return. She pushed his limp form aside, retrieving her things from under the floorboards. She began playing a somber song. Its sad and mournful notes cried for the town, for everyone who died. Solemn tears froze against her cheeks as she played for what seemed like an eternity.

The color slowly faded from the world, and the dead vines crept eerily back up the sides of the buildings as Alicia’s mind returned to the present. As the last notes of her final song echoed sadly around her, she slid backwards against her old house, her father’s old store, the beginning and end of her sadness. A lifetime of memories flooded over her. A lifetime of running. She saw a land wracked with pain from the Brothers’ War. A land in turmoil as it scrambled to find her, the only heir to the throne. Her fiddle and her music had followed her through all the anguish and fear. It comforted her, like the lullabies her mother once played on it. Long had she traveled from place to place, hoping to offer solace to others. She had never stopped fighting. She had brought a little happiness to others along the way. She was finally at peace. Quietly, she thanked her parents for their courage, and drifted off into sleep.

© 2009 Zethsayber


Author's Note

Zethsayber
A quickie that I wrote for a creative writing class. I based it off a stock photo I found somewhere on deviantART. I don't have the picture anymore, unfortunately, but it was a young red-headed girl with a fiddle in front of a worn looking facade. This only went through one or two revisions, so there's probably still room for improvement.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like this write, I found it amazing, full of charm and life.
Such emotion you put into this. It's very well written.
Lovely imagery and details. Enjoayble read.

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

277 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on November 11, 2009

Author

Zethsayber
Zethsayber

Ashburn, VA



About
I am a student of industrial design at Virginia Tech. I do mostly drawing, but I also enjoy the act of writing. Poetry and prose, anything is fine, though I don't prefer essays and much non-fiction; i.. more..

Writing
Songstep Songstep

A Poem by Zethsayber