Suicide

Suicide

A Story by A sea person
"

Written after I heard the song "Faking my own Suicide" by Relient K. That song infuriates me.

"

“Shortly after five-o-clock yesterday afternoon, a student at Christopher Newport University committed suicide off of the Coleman Bridge into the York River.  Divers have recovered the young man’s book bag, but have not located the body-“

-- --

Leslie watched her daughter from the open doorway.  Eddie sat on her bed in her parent’s home in Gloucester.  She stared at the folded note on sitting on her desk across the room.  Unable to bear watching her daughter so lifeless and removed, she walked over to her.

“It’s dinner time, sweetheart.”

Eddie sat immobile.

“Eddie, it’s time for dinner,” she repeated, her tone more firm.

Eddie blinked and turned to look at her mother.

“I’m not hungry.”

“You still need to come down for dinner and sit with the family.”

“I’m tired.”

Eddie rolled over on her side and closed her eyes, effectively shutting out her mother, her room, but not her thoughts.

Leslie left the room, shutting the door gently behind her.  He daughter hadn’t left her room since she’d found that note taped on her car door yesterday afternoon.  Walking down the stairs toward the dining room, Leslie remembered the expression on her daughter’s face when she had walked back into the house.  She tried to ask her daughter what was wrong, but Eddie didn’t say a word.  She just walked over to the den and turned on the television to News Channel 13.

-- --

“-We go now to Lindsey Roberts who is at the scene.  Lindsey?”

“Thank you, Regina.  Earlier this afternoon, witnesses say they saw a young man jumped off of the bridge.  John Insely was coming home from work and saw the man jump.  Can you tell us what you saw, John?”

“Well, I saw this kid up on the rail there, and then he just threw himself off of the bridge.  I stopped and ran over, but by the time I got to the rail you couldn’t see any trace of him.”

-- --

Leslie pulled out her chair and sank down onto it.

Her husband put his hamburger back on his plate and wiped his mouth before asking, “She isn’t coming down?”

“No.”

“Have you read the note he left her.”

Leslie didn’t answer.

“It’s heartless.”

“Can we just eat, please?”

He stopped talking and resumed eating his dinner, watching his wife pick at her food.

“Maybe we should take her to see a psychologist?”

“Please, can we talk about something else?”

He paused and changed the subject, rambling on about a broken machine part he spent two hours working on that morning at work.

Upstairs, Eddie pulled her pillow over her head, trying to shut out the voices running on endless repeat through her mind.

-- --

“We’ve spoken to engineers who’ve informed us that the spot where the man jumped from is 90 feet above the river…”

© 2008 A sea person


Author's Note

A sea person
If anyone has a better idea for a title, PLEASE tell me!!!!

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

I don't know...how about left behind? this story isn't your style either. i don't like it as much as the stuff you bring to our meetings

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Uhmmm,

Suicidal Love?

o.o''

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

oh crap... It deleted my review? I thought it had double posted. Ok, well- you know I loved it. I'm here re reading to see what might have been in the note. This is worse than MySpazz with all the double postings and glitches.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

that's really good and so realistic i can feel how tramutized you made eddie be through you words very well written i loved it :)

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You could really grow on this and make it longer. It was a very well written piece. I don't know of any other titles because this usually isn't my genre of writing, sorry.
-Twilight

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

249 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 15, 2008

Author

A sea person
A sea person

About
I am a published author and poet, a singer and musician, a martial artist and marathoner, a student and teacher. I am an Inkling, a Silverwing, an Airmen, a Christian. v.r. .. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Snapped Snapped

A Story by A sea person