Rape

Rape

A Poem by Art Freeman

sadness dampens her pillows
inside and out
each comforter
loses its softness
and clout
yet
she's forced to find comfort
without


everything south is
soaked in tears
and premature sweat
her fear
has left evidence
a stain
on
sentiments of a self
to blame


ashamed of a child
she's now forced
to abort as the
first and last resort
a thought
she
uses as closure to an entry forced
wide open


shut from the world she trusts
hoping for something
taken abrupt
from someone still
infant enough
sweet
innocence turned sour
devoured


and cut by the sharp edges
of a love
she used to lust
after before laughter
turned sore
ignored
with each deep emotion
stored


a price she was forced
to afford
with no credit
for stature or esteem
thus a fetish
captured much of her
preteens
spent most of her time dreaming
deep dreams


sinking to the depths
of a shallow pool
of someone else's sweat
she sees scenes
drenched in regret with
colors
she bled in silence as a sign
of respect

© 2010 Art Freeman


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

"She bled in silence as a sign
Of respect."

Very powerful line, complicated the entire piece for me. Evoking in me my own rage, my own pain. Innocence robbed from a youth, I would imagine this to be an incestous rape. Ashamed of child....gave me this thought.
You evoke alot of pain here...and you as a man have penned from the womens perspective with great passion. I am perplexed with the respect....aspect in the end...i want to know why she would have bled with respect....I am curious...who is it she was respecting...see i am all twisted up in this last line...
And maybe you intended this...
Thank you for the invite. Peace

Posted 16 Years Ago


23 of 23 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

This is very strong. The pain came through and you painted such a vivid picture of this person....

Posted 12 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I have no words. This was stunning.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

you did an out standing job with this Art! great great work

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

So profoundly deep and an inside journey of a torturous event that took place. As hard as rape hurts, you capture the mental ruin it causes.

Perhaps she feels she is stuck with a scarlet letter for the rest of her life. She is stronger now.

You hit a subject that may be hard for some to swallow, but a harsh reality driven poem here. I like your empathetic nature in this poem.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

You know i often think about my own existence because I was told there is no imformation on my birth father and my skin complextion. I was adopted at the age of 3 months. I was told does not match that of my birth mother age 13 and grandparents. Maybe I am a product of a rape who knows but I often think of that. Man your work is inspiring thanks. If you get a chance can you read and review my poem that "Lost Rose".

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ok. let me be the lone voice of dissent. I like it, I think, but I hate the ending. the last two or three verses don't fit the powerful beginning or rather the middle. it leaves me disjointed and guessing about what happened and speculating on whether she herself was a child and whether it was the rapist fetish or one that she developed because of being raped. And respect for the rapist? why?

So i'm left lacking closure. it is thought provoking but in the wrong way. I donzt want to be guessing and thinking about what actually happened. I'd rather be focused on her loss and her pain and even her resolve to carry on despite it all.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This was very powerful and saddening that this happens in real life. The rhymes were powerful and I liked how you split up the sentences into different lines. The first stanza however doesnt flow with the rest of the poem because the rhyme seems forsed. The pain and suffering was so strong through this it leads you through the whole poem holding your breath... great write.



Blessed Be

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Damn Ras this is some real hardcore thoughts put together spelling masterpiece. I really respect this writing and I would like to understand it better. The last line read "She bled in silence as a sign of respect," what does that mean? I kinda had two different meanings in mind and I would like for you to clarify it for me.

Posted 16 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a perfect piece of written beauty.Your words are powerful and a painfull pleasure.This made me cry. I found out 6 years ago that i was raped, but my outside self cannot relate because it happened to me over 20 years ago, and my feelings haven't caught up yet. You touched on a subject that no one does. Thank you

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I have friends and family who have experienced rape. You captured every aspect of the horrible experience people face and your ending was very deep.

She bled in silence as a sign
Of respect.

Wow. I'm stunned at how good this was. Great job!!

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1254 Views
76 Reviews
Rating
Added on April 20, 2008
Last Updated on October 25, 2010

Author

Art Freeman
Art Freeman

Brooklyn, NY



About
...I rode for Miles on Coltrane...became Dizzy when I met the Duke...spent the Holiday with the King...and a handsome Monk...but it was a colorful Hancock that taught me how to Cooke and Count... - a.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Poetry Poetry

A Poem by Art Freeman


Kiss Kiss

A Poem by Art Freeman