3. Waiting

3. Waiting

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

When someone you love is hurt or ill, waiting for the outcome can be hell!

"
It had been over three hours since Dr. Serta had told Ian that Chrissy would probably not survive her injuries.  He sat on a sofa in the waiting room and stared blankly at the floor while Emily dozed against him. Michael and Dani sat in chairs across from him. They had arrived soon after he had called and told them the news. Ian asked Dani to take Emily to the hospital cafeteria to have some dinner. He didn't want to leave the waiting room in case there was any news. They brought him back a sandwich and a bag of chips. Suzee got there soon after that and ran to him and tearfully hugged him. Then they all sat down and waited... and waited...


Dani was trying to lighten the mood with a humorous story about the time her aunt was in the hospital. But Ian wasn't paying any attention to her. Instead, he was staring at a dark skinned, middle-aged man wearing scrubs that had entered the waiting room and walked up to the counter. The man spoke to the receptionist and she pointed toward Ian. They all became quiet and followed Ian's gaze as the man approached them.


“You are Chrissy Allen's husband?” The man spoke with a thick accent. Ian guessed he was from India. He nodded and stood up. “May I have a word with you in private, please?” the man asked as he gestured toward the other end of the waiting room. Ian followed him. “I am Dr. Khetran,” he said, extending his hand for Ian to shake, “I have just come from surgery with your wife. First, let me tell you that your wife is recovering from her surgery in our Critical Care Unit.” Ian didn't realize he had been holding his breath until he let it out in a big whoosh! He turned and gave the others a quick nod and a thumbs-up. They looked relieved.


“Your wife's injuries are quite extensive,” Dr. Khetran continued, “She has a fractured clavicle (or collar bone), torn rotator cuff, fractured humerus, three fractured ribs - one of which punctured and collapsed her lung, a fractured pelvis, ruptured --”


“Stop! Enough!” Ian exclaimed, holding up his hand, “Give me a list of her injuries another day!” It was all too much for him to take right then. He was too emotionally exhausted.


Dr. Khetran smiled. “Of course. I understand. I also have some good news, so I'll give you that instead. First of all, she was wearing a helmet, so there was no serious head or brain trauma. She does have a moderate concussion, but that's to be expected in an accident like this, even with a helmet. I don't expect any problems with that. She also has moderate whiplash, but there are no serious neck or spinal injuries. I was able to do everything I wanted during this surgery and I don't think I will have to perform another.”


“You're sounding awfully optimistic there, Doc,” said Ian hopefully.


“Well, I am an optimistic man. But make no mistake! Your wife is not out of danger! She is still in critical condition. I probably shouldn't say this but, there are some on our staff that find it remarkable that she is still alive. She is a very tough woman!”


“Yeah, she's a fighter.”


“Well, that's good because we have done all we can and now the rest is up to her. The next twenty-four to forty eight hours will be critical. If she can hang on that long, then her chances will improve significantly.”


“Can I see her?”


Dr. Khetran made a small grimace. “She needs rest right now, but... I will allow it after the nurses get her settled in. But you must not disturb her!”


He shook Ian's hand again and walked off. Ian went to the others and told them everything the doctor had just told him. “I guess we just wait now,” he told them. He thanked them all for coming and offering their support for him and Emily. Then he looked down at Emily and said, “Buttercup, you have been a big help and a source of strength for me. You've been so good and haven't been any trouble and I appreciate that. But now I want you to go home with Michael and Dani and stay with them tonight.”


“Nooo!” she said in a plaintive voice, “I want to stay here with you.”


“Please, Emily. I have too much to worry about right now and it would be a big help to know that you're someplace safe with someone I trust.”


She hung her head sadly. “Okay.”


After everyone left, Ian went to the Critical Care Unit. A nurse took him to Chrissy's room. One of the walls was all glass and looked out on the nurses station. Ian tried to prepare himself for what he was about to see, but it was still almost too much for him.


Chrissy was lying in the bed with a neck brace. She had a breathing tube from her mouth to a respirator and a feeding tube in her nose. She had an IV line to her arm and several wires coming from her body that ran to various machines surrounding her making a small cacophony of noises. Her whole left side seemed to be in a cast. Her left arm was bent at the elbow and wrapped to her chest. On her right side there were many scrapes and bruises and bandages. She looked so helpless and frail! Ian was so physically tired and emotionally exhausted by that time that he almost sat down and started crying when he saw her.


“May I hold her hand?” he asked quietly.


“Gently,” the nurse replied.


He pulled up a chair, sat down next to the bed and took her hand in his.


"Bittersweet?  It's me... Ian,” he said softly, "I'm here."



~*~



After Michael and Dani got back to their apartment, Dani took Emily next door to let her gather a few personal things. Emily grabbed a canvas tote bag and went to her bedroom. She stuffed a pair of pajamas and a change of clothes into it. She went into the bathroom and got her toothbrush and comb and tossed those into the bag, too. She went back to her room, grabbed a couple more items and said to Dani, “Okay. I'm ready.”


Dani picked up a small teddy-bear off of her bed and held it toward her. “Don't you want this?” she asked.


Emily hesitated a few seconds and then shook her head. Dani smiled, leaned closer to Emily and said in a quiet voice, “If I tell you a secret, will you promise not to tell anyone?”


Emily nodded.


“Sometimes,” Dani continued, “When Michael is working the late shift and I'm all alone in the apartment...” she looked back and forth as if someone might hear her, then she whispered, “I sleep with a teddy-bear.” She held the teddy-bear out toward Emily again. Emily hesitated, then took the bear from her and dropped it into her tote.


“Okay... now I'm ready.”







© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and criticisms are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A powerful chapter. I'm glad Chrissy is still around and I can understand how Ian would want to just drop on the floor and sob. He's going through a terrible experience. A touching end to this chapter.

I'm really enjoying your story staring Ian and Chrissy.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.



Reviews

A powerful chapter. I'm glad Chrissy is still around and I can understand how Ian would want to just drop on the floor and sob. He's going through a terrible experience. A touching end to this chapter.

I'm really enjoying your story staring Ian and Chrissy.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
You are breaking my heart!!! Poor Chrissy, poor Ian... And my heart is just breaking for emily. Such a way with words.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you, Kaya.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

568 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 4, 2012
Last Updated on June 8, 2013
Tags: love, near death, accident


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591