8. A Change of Scenery

8. A Change of Scenery

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy gets moved to a new location during her recovery

"

After four weeks, the hospital released Chrissy to Broadfield Estates, a nursing home/rehab center in the city. It was conveniently located on the way home from Ian's job, making it easy for him to stop by and visit her each day. The nursing home ordinarily kept the rehab patients on their own wing, but that wing was under renovations during Chrissy's stay, so she was placed in with the elderly resident population.


On her second day there he found her sitting in her wheelchair in the lobby waiting for him. She had a surly look on her face. As he approached, he noticed she was wearing a small, hand made sign that read, No! I don't want to play bingo!. He tried - and failed - to suppress a laugh.


They took away my first sign,” she said sullenly. “This one's the G-rated version!”


He pulled up a chair and sat down next to her. “I guess there's no sense in asking how you're feeling,” he said.


Ian, you have to get me out of here!” she said earnestly.


Already? It's only your second day. You've got at least two more weeks before your casts come off, and you need round the clock care until then.”


Oh, God! I'll never make it two weeks in this place.” She sounded desperate. “See that old lady in the pink sweater by the window? That's Sylvia. She thinks I'm her daughter, Patty, and bosses me around all the time. There's two old guys that follow me around in their wheelchairs hitting on me all day, and if I have to listen to one more episode of The Price is Right, I swear I'm going to gnaw my casts off and crawl out of this place myself! They must have it on every goddam TV in this place. I can't get away from it! It's not funny, Ian!!”


Ian stopped laughing and tried to compose himself. “I'm sorry, Bittersweet, but I have to work everyday and you can't stay home by yourself.”


Patty? Is that your new boyfriend?” called Sylvia from across the room, “Bring him over here so I can meet him.”


In a minute, Mom,” Chrissy called back rather tersely, then said to Ian, “I don't even bother arguing with her anymore. It doesn't do any good.”


Here,” he said, reaching into a small bag he had brought with him, “this should cheer you up.” He pulled out an ice cold bottle of Hammerhead Cream Ale.


Chrissy snatched it out of his hand and stuffed it down the side of her wheelchair. “Ian, are you nuts? Someone might see you!”


Don't worry. I checked with the nursing home staff and they said it was okay as long as your doctor approved it. So I called him and he said you could have one a day.”


Really?!” Chrissy pulled the bottle out and regarded it for several moments.


Yeah, I know, it's not as much fun if it's allowed, is it?”


No, it's not. But that's not going to stop me from drinking it!” She stuck the bottle in his face. “Open it!” she ordered.


He twisted the cap off and handed it back to her. She took a swig and a look of bliss came over her face. “Oh, God! that's good!” she said, “Ian, I know I act s****y sometimes, but I really do appreciate what you do for me.”


He smiled. “I'll bring Emily with me tomorrow and you guys can play backgammon.”


I'd like that. Is she doing okay? Are you keeping up with her school work?”


He nodded. “She misses you. We both do.”


Neither one of them noticed that Sylvia had rolled over to them in her wheelchair. “Patricia!” she said sternly, “Is that beer you're drinking?! You give me that bottle and go to your room this instant!”


Ian,” Chrissy begged, “you have to get me out of here! Please!”



© 2012 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
My wife is the Activity Director at a nursing home. She thought this chapter was hilariously accurate.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Absolutely great! I know how Chrissy feels. When I had to have my leg operated on and needed nursing care, they put me in a nursing facility, where all the old women looked daggers at me. I felt my younger years really pissed them off! I was in my early thirties! I was in there for a month and it seemed like a year! And having to go to bed at 8:00 was no picnic!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.



Reviews

Absolutely great! I know how Chrissy feels. When I had to have my leg operated on and needed nursing care, they put me in a nursing facility, where all the old women looked daggers at me. I felt my younger years really pissed them off! I was in my early thirties! I was in there for a month and it seemed like a year! And having to go to bed at 8:00 was no picnic!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks! I'm glad you enjoyed it.
The ending of this chapter made me laugh. Good chapter. She is getting better and better. Once she's out of the nursing home I bet she'll be even better.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thanks again.
Tina Kline

11 Years Ago

I'm enjoying your book a lot.
Its short but sweet and to the point. I can imagine how horrible it would be there for a woman like chrissy. Great job

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you.
Chrissy feels ao much like family to me. Her charactor is so very much like myum, or really most of the girls in my family on her side. She's so cute (even though she'd kill me for saying it!!!)

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

638 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on November 16, 2012
Last Updated on November 16, 2012
Tags: humor, hospital, accident, romance, love


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..