32. Jury Duty

32. Jury Duty

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Honey? Could you come get me? I'm in jail.

"

“You are not to discuss this trial with each other until it is over and the deliberations have begun,” the judge instructed the jury members. Ian nodded along with the others. “And you are absolutely NOT to discuss it with anyone outside of this courtroom - not even spouses or family members!” she continued, “Is that clear?” They all nodded again. “And you are not to watch the news on television or read the newspaper as long as you are serving on this jury.”


“Can we read the comics?” asked an elderly man in a suit. There was scattered laughter throughout the courtroom.


The judge smiled. “Only if you turn to the comics page without looking at the rest of the newspaper,” she replied. There were a few more chuckles. “If there are no questions, then you are dismissed until tomorrow morning.”


“All rise!” called the bailiff as the judge stood and exited the courtroom. The jury was then lead out by a guard to the room where they had left their belongings and were told they could leave.


“So, what's the trial about?” Chrissy asked Ian over dinner that evening.


“I'm not supposed to talk about it,” he answered, “But... I suppose it couldn't hurt to tell you what it's about. It's an attempted first-degree murder case.”


“Wow! That's a serious one.”


“Yeah. I hope it doesn't last long.”


“What's the matter? Don't like doing your 'civic duty'?” she smirked sarcastically.


“Not really! Would you?”


“I don't have to worry about it. Every time I get called for jury duty, the prosecutor takes one look at me and I'm dismissed,” she answered.


Ian showed up at the Justice Center the next morning and was ushered into the room where the jury was supposed to meet. From there they were all led into the court room to the jury box. Eventually the bailiff called for everyone to rise and the judge entered and sat down.


The trial began with the prosecuting attorney giving his opening statement. He stood in front of the jury and told them a detailed story of how the defendant had shot the victim five times outside of a bar in an attempt to kill him. Incredibly, the victim survived.


When he was done the defense attorney stood up and gave his version. He told them that the defendant admitted to shooting the victim, but that he had done so in self-defense. He intended to prove that the victim had pulled a gun and fired at the defendant first.


Ian was amazed at how young the two attorneys were. They both looked like they were fresh out of law-school and seemed a little awkward and nervous as they presented their cases.


As the hours passed, witnesses were examined and cross-examined and the evidence was presented. Ian began to get very interested in the case. Apparently, there had been some 'bad blood' between the two men in the past. They had confronted each other inside the bar that night and the victim claimed that the defendant had threatened him with a gun before walking out. As the victim left later, the defendant was waiting for him outside of the bar and shot him five times. The defendant claimed that the victim had pulled a gun and shot at him first. No gun was found anywhere near the victim by the police or medical personnel. However, there were bullet holes in the car behind the spot where the defendant had been standing. Someone must have shot at the defendant. Did someone take the victim's gun before the police arrived? Did someone else shoot at the defendant?


Ian was fascinated. He sat on the edge of his seat and listened intently as the prosecutor questioned another witness. Suddenly, the defense attorney stood and asked to approach the bench. Both attorneys went up to the judge's bench and all three of them spoke in hushed tones. Just like on TV, thought Ian with amusement.


When they finished their conversation, the judge turned to the jury and said, “Because of something that the witness just said, I am afraid that I am going to have to declare a miss-trial. The jury is dismissed from duty and may leave. I am sorry if we have inconvenienced you and I thank you for your service.”


As she stood to leave Ian blurted out, “What?! Just like that?!


Everyone in the court room, including the judge who was still half-way between sitting and standing, turned to look at him.


“I want to hear the rest of the story!” Ian continued, “I want to know if he's guilty or not!”


“Sir!” the judge said sternly, “You are out of order!”


“But it's not fair!” he went on, “I didn't even want to serve on this stupid jury. But I agreed to do my 'civic duty' and showed up. Then you get me all interested in the case and now you're going to send us home?! I want to find out what happened!”


The judge's face was beginning to redden. “One more outburst from you and I will find you in contempt!” she said angrily.


“But... it's not fair!


As long as Ian had known Chrissy, he had, from time to time, considered the possibility that the day might come when he would have to bail her out of jail, most likely for fighting. Never, ever in his wildest dreams did he ever think that it would happen the other way around.


Chrissy was waiting for him at the front desk of the justice center as the guard escorted him from his cell. She greeted him with stony silence. He could see that her jaw was clenched. She wouldn't even look at him. He signed for his personal belongings and sheepishly followed her out to the car. It wasn't until she was pulling out into traffic that it finally dawned on him. Her silence and clenched jaw weren't from anger.


She was trying not to laugh.


She finally glanced over at him... and lost it. For Chrissy to laugh out loud was a rare occurrence and Ian was annoyed that it was at his expense. When she was finally able to stop laughing long enough to speak she said, “The next time you're going to get yourself thrown in jail, come talk to me first. I can give you some pointers... like, don't accept candy from the other inmates.” She laughed again.


“Believe it or not, I already know about the candy rule,” he responded sullenly, “It's moot point. They stuck me in a holding cell by myself. How much was the fine?”


She smiled as she shook her head. “You're lucky the judge was in a good mood. She dropped the contempt charge. She thought a couple of hours in a cell would be good 'shock probation' for you.”


“She was right. It worked.”


Chrissy burst out laughing again. “Honestly, Ian! I did some really stupid things during my days as a junky. But I always, ALWAYS knew better than to piss-off the judge!”


“In case you haven't noticed, I'm not laughing!”


“C'mon, Ian,” she said, “Lighten up. What do you say we go home and play 'The Inmate and the Warden'. Only this time, I get to be the warden!”


He couldn't help but finally laugh at that.




© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
I served on jury duty several years ago and this is a recreation of that trial, right down to the old man asking if we could read the comics. However, the part where Ian gets upset about the miss-trial is made up.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I really like how Ian got sucked into the case and was mad about it ending early. It's been awhile since there was an Ian-centric chapter as well.

Do you have more of these planned? The story doesn't feel like there's an end in sight - like these shorts could go on perpetually.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Yeah, I felt it was time to put Ian back in the spotlight.

I am currently working on a .. read more



Reviews

I really like how Ian got sucked into the case and was mad about it ending early. It's been awhile since there was an Ian-centric chapter as well.

Do you have more of these planned? The story doesn't feel like there's an end in sight - like these shorts could go on perpetually.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Yeah, I felt it was time to put Ian back in the spotlight.

I am currently working on a .. read more
I really like the fact that Ian started to take the case personally, and I found it hilarious when he got thrown in jail. Also, the little pun at the end about playing the warden. I also how you do decide to play into human nature-not wanting to do but finding out its more fascinating than you had planned. Very nice. Will he try to investigate on his own or is he going to let the case go is what I want to know.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Ian had to have felt horribly frustrated at having the whole thing called off right when it was getting interesting to talk to a judge like that. Very amusing. One just knew he was in for it after the first outburst. I'm glad Chrissy was only amused and not angry with him. Great chapter! I really enjoyed it!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Thank you!
Poor Ian! I suppose it was like watching a tv program and someone comes into the room and switches the tv off! Hey, I was watching that! You made me laugh and I have come to love Ian and Chrissy!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

11 Years Ago

Well, I know just how he feels because that is exactly what happened when I served on a jury. Excep.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

704 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 9, 2013
Last Updated on March 9, 2013
Tags: romance, love, humor, jury duty, jail


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


30. Unsung Hero 30. Unsung Hero

A Chapter by Craig2591