10. Surprise

10. Surprise

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Billy Groover and his boys find out the hard way that they're chasing a hellcat.

"

Billy Groover sat at his desk and stared at the bill for a new windshield and passenger side window for Cody's SUV. He brooded. That damn woman was costing him way too much money. She and her kid had to be caught soon!


He sensed rather than saw Payton standing in front of him. “What is it, Payton,” he said with a touch of impatience.


“They spotted that woman and her kid,” he responded.


“I don't want to hear if they've been spotted. I only want to hear if they're dead!


“Um... I think... you might want to hear about it this time,” stammered Payton.


Groover set the bill down and looked up at him suspiciously. “Why? What happened?”


“Um... I... I'm not sure where to start.” He fidgeted.


“How about at the beginning?!” Billy Groover was clearly becoming annoyed.


“Well...” Payton began nervously, “Jimmy and Blake were patrolling along County Road 4 when they spotted the kid standing in a wheat field. When they stopped the truck, the kid ran into the woods. So Jimmy got out his rifle and went in after her.”


Good!” Groover interrupted, “It's about time one of you idiots took a proactive measure instead of sitting on your collective asses and waiting for those two to make a move.”


“Yeah... well...” Payton seemed afraid to continue. “Jimmy fell into a punji pit.” he said meekly.


He fell into a what?!!”


“A punji pit,” Payton explained, “You dig a hole, line the bottom with sharp sticks, cover it over so that no one can see it, and wait for someone to fall into it.”


Oh, my God!!” exclaimed Groover, “Was he killed?!”


“No, it wasn't that big. But his foot and ankle got skewered pretty bad. He's at the emergency room right now.” Billy Groover's face was starting to turn red. He'd already had to pay a bundle for Blake's stitches. Payton continued, “When Blake heard him screaming for help, he ran into the woods to see what was happening. Apparently, that woman rigged the area with trip wires. Blake plunged headlong over one and dislocated his shoulder.” The veins on the side of Groover's forehead were starting to stick out. Payton worried that he was going to have stroke right in front of him. “Then the rest of the guys went into the woods to get them. It took three guys to carry Jimmy. The woman and the kid made a break for it on their motorcycle during all the confusion. They almost got away, but a deputy saw them and chased after them with his cruiser until they escaped into another woods about four miles down the road.”


Billy Groover stood up so abruptly that he knocked his chair over. “You imbeciles!!” He slammed his fist down on his desk. “That woman is making fools out of the lot of you!! I guarantee the sheriff and his deputies are laughing their asses off at us right now!” He came around his desk and advanced on Payton, repeatedly poking him in the chest with his finger as he ranted. “I want that b***h and her brat dead, understand?! Form a search party! Get some bloodhounds! Burn the whole goddamn woods down if you have to!! Just get it done!!”


Payton had been walking backwards the whole time Groover was yelling at him. When he had backed into the hallway, Groover slammed the door in his face with a loud bang. Visibly shaken, Payton turned and headed back toward his desk.


“Bloodhounds,” he muttered to himself, “Where the hell am I going to find bloodhounds?”



© 2013 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
Suggestions and constructive criticisms are always welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Nice to see things from the bad guys point of view.
A really good chapter here.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This chapter is hilarious. Recounting the events to the enemy after-the-fact is probably even better than showing it all happening from Chrissy's point-of-view as it happens.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you!
Oh, I love this and am so looking forward to more!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you, Barb. I'll try to get the next chapter done soon.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

616 Views
3 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 6, 2013
Last Updated on October 6, 2013
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


10. Depression 10. Depression

A Chapter by Craig2591


30. Unsung Hero 30. Unsung Hero

A Chapter by Craig2591





Advertise Here
Want to advertise here? Get started for as little as $5