The Chase

The Chase

A Story by Craig2591
"

I am re-posting this chapter as a story for a contest. (1209 words)

"

Synopsis:  Chrissy and her eleven-year-old daughter, Emily, are on the run from a drug gang and a crooked sheriff.  After stashing Emily in a secure hiding place, Chrissy creates a diversion and makes a run for the county line to find help.



Chrissy's heart leapt into her throat when she saw the sheriff's car parked at the diner as she drove by. It was partially obscured by a truck and she didn't see it until it was too late.


Maybe he didn't see me go by, she thought, Maybe he's in the bathroom. Maybe... She gave a sigh of resignation. Maybe I'll grow wings and fly to the Spencer River.


She watched her rear view mirror closely and her heart dropped when she saw the sheriff's cruiser pull out onto the road with its blue lights flashing. She immediately started looking for a place to pull off the road and head for the woods. Then she changed her mind. “I'm through hiding in the woods!” she muttered angrily, “If you want me, b*****d, come and get me!”


She gave her motorcycle full throttle.


Sheriff Horst cursed himself for turning on his flashing lights too early. Now the woman would know that he was after her. Sure enough, she immediately began to pull away from him. He accelerated his cruiser and began to catch up with her again. He knew it was only a matter of time before he overtook her. His cell phone rang and he picked it up. It was Mueller again.


Sheriff! She fooled us! She tossed her phone into the back of a pick-up truck and led us on a wild goose chase.”


I know,” Horst replied, “I'm chasing her now. She's headed north on McMillan Road toward the Sycamore Bridge.”


How the hell did she get clear over there already?!”


Someone else must've tossed her phone into that truck. Probably the kid. Get back to that store and search the place. Find that kid! I'll take care of the mother.” He disconnected and tossed the phone onto the passenger seat. “Christ! She must be pushing ninety miles-per-hour,” he muttered, then added with an evil grin, “But it's not fast enough, sweetheart.”


He was gaining on her fast as they approached River Road. He decided he would take her down as she slowed to make the turn. But when they got to River Road she blew right past it.


Hah! The dumb b***h missed it,” he laughed to himself.


Just ahead to the left there was a convenience store. He would wait until they were past it before he wiped her out her so that there would be no witnesses. At the speed they were traveling a motorcycle spill was guaranteed fatal.


But when they reached the store Chrissy suddenly swerved into the other lane and braked hard as a surprised Karl Horst shot past her. She pulled into the store and circled through the parking lot, causing a couple of the patrons to dive out of her way as she came through. She pulled back onto the road and sped off toward River Road again.


Sheriff Horst slammed on his brakes, threw his cruiser into reverse and smoked his tires all the way back to the convenience store. He pulled into the store, spun around and sped off after Chrissy again. He was furious! She'd just made a fool out of him in front of several witnesses. And now she had regained enough of a lead to be able to make the turn at River Road with ease.


It won't do you any good, sweetheart,” he said through clenched teeth, “You've still got several miles to go to get to that bridge. Plenty of time to take you out. Plenty of time!”


A race between a Yamaha V-Star 250 and a super-charged police cruiser on a straight, flat road wouldn't be much of a contest. The Yamaha wouldn't stand a chance. However, River Road was anything but straight and flat. It snaked and curved along the meandering path of the Spencer River and rolled up and down its hilly embankments. Even when it came to handling curves, the cruiser, with four tires against the pavement, would still carry a slight edge over the motorcycle with its two. But when it came to acceleration, the lightweight Yamaha would win hands-down against the much heavier cruiser every time.


And that's why every time Sheriff Karl Horst would close in on Chrissy as they entered a curve, Chrissy would accelerate out of the other side like a rocket and regain several yards of her slim lead. Over and over, curve after curve, hill after hill, he just couldn't quite catch her. It was maddening! His heart was pounding and he could feel sweat dripping down under his shirt as he pushed the cruiser to its limits around each turn, its tires squealing in protest. He knew he couldn't go one mile per hour faster without losing control. And yet she continued to elude him. It infuriated him. He was being outrun by a woman! - on a chick-bike!


He was beginning to fear that she would actually make the bridge. Legally, he could continue to chase her into the next county since he was in hot pursuit of a fugitive. But he would be obliged to notify the next sheriff's department and then they would join in the chase. That would create way too many complications. He had to catch her here on his turf. He had to get her before she got to that bridge!


They were less than a mile from the bridge when he saw Chrissy suddenly brake for a slow moving car in front of them. He smiled. “I've got you now, sweetheart,” he muttered out loud. Then, to his utter amazement, she pulled her motorcycle into the oncoming lane and started to pass the car in the middle of a large s-curve. “Christ! She's got nerves of steel!”


He wasn't about to let her leap-frog in front of the car and get away from him, so he pulled out to pass, too, praying that there was no oncoming traffic. Chrissy was abreast of the slower car when a giant cement truck came barreling around the curve at them. She had nowhere to go! She sidled her motorcycle up next to the car so close that her elbow actually brushed against the driver's side window. The wind from the passing truck almost spilled her as it roared past, missing her by mere inches. After it passed she accelerated and continued passing the car.


When Sheriff Horst saw the cement truck he hollered, “S**T!” and slammed on the brakes. He swerved back into the right lane just in time to miss the truck by less than a foot. But in his panic he over-compensated and went off onto the right shoulder, taking out three mailboxes as he did. He pulled the cruiser back onto the road, but the front tires grabbed the pavement before the rear tires did and the back of the car started to swing around. He steered into the skid and actually managed to regain control of the cruiser... but not in time to negotiate the next curve. He careened into the oncoming lane and hit the guardrail.


The last thing he remembered as his car went airborne was seeing Chrissy's motorcycle speeding across the Sycamore Bridge.

© 2015 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
This is a chapter from my novel "Shadows in the Woods". It is the story in which a mother and her tween daughter take a road trip on the woman's motorcycle and suddenly find themselves being pursued by mysterious people that want them dead.

http://www.writerscafe.org/writing/abcblair/1237161/

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.
I love how all of your stories could be put together for a novel, as you have it, or have it just separately as a short story with mystery just oozing out of it. I forgot how much I loved your writing, it's been so long since I was really on here. I couldn't stop reading and you really made me feel like I was watching this scene play out. I love how quickly you developed the character of Sheriff Horst though his thoughts and mumbled dialogue. Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you. This is a chapter from a novel that I wrote and reposted for a contest. Chrissy is tryi.. read more
K.

8 Years Ago

Sweet! I will have to check that out.



Reviews

Just reading this my heart is racing. I felt like I'm running with Chrissy. Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you. This is a chapter from a book I wrote that I reposted as a story for a contest.
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
K.
I love how all of your stories could be put together for a novel, as you have it, or have it just separately as a short story with mystery just oozing out of it. I forgot how much I loved your writing, it's been so long since I was really on here. I couldn't stop reading and you really made me feel like I was watching this scene play out. I love how quickly you developed the character of Sheriff Horst though his thoughts and mumbled dialogue. Great write!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

8 Years Ago

Thank you. This is a chapter from a novel that I wrote and reposted for a contest. Chrissy is tryi.. read more
K.

8 Years Ago

Sweet! I will have to check that out.
Really good plot and very well written! I found myself caught up in the action and wanting to read more! Great job!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Thank you.
Very dramatic chapter. This is definitely a fun story given how everyone who likes speeding is always on the lookout for cops lest they pulled over and slammed with a ticket! Or so I thought initially, that she was just trying to get somewhere fast not wanting a ticket. Then, gradually, you reviewed she was wanted for something else- dun dun DUN! Chrissy's so badass. I know she loves making people look like idiots too. It's a good time.

Good job showing Sheriff Horst's contempt for women too- damn straight a woman showed you up!

Posted 9 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

9 Years Ago

Yeah, this story involves a lot more than just speeding. The sheriff (and company) are definitely n.. read more
Craig2591

9 Years Ago

If you're interested... Chrissy is trying to get to the next county and report Sheriff Horst to the .. read more
I'm hooked! This is truly amazing; I'm looking forward to reading the rest :)

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thank you very much! The novel is actually finished. If you want to start at the beginning, here i.. read more
Megan Simpson

10 Years Ago

I'd love to! Thank you
Lots of action in this. It should get peoples interest to want to rad the whole story which is very good!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Oh that was an exciting chase! Couldn't sit still in my seat!

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Thanks, Barb.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1062 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on December 8, 2013
Last Updated on January 11, 2015
Tags: mother/daughter, motorcycle, chase, roadtrip, Amish, adopted, adoption, drugs, drug gang, gangsters

Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Allie Allie

A Poem by Colton Warr


Lovesick Lovesick

A Story by Philip Muls