3. Make Yourself at Home!

3. Make Yourself at Home!

A Chapter by Craig2591
"

Chrissy makes herself at home in Ian's studio.

"

Ian didn't realize just how lonely his life really was until he met Chrissy, the moody young woman he had hired to pose for his last painting. He was divorced and his daughter lived halfway across the country in another city. Outside of a few acquaintances among his fellow artists, he didn't really have any friends. He was basically alone.


Once he was finished with the painting he embarrassed himself by inviting Chrissy to come and 'hang out' at his studio, despite the fact that he barely knew her. She gave him a funny look and a non-committal “Maybe” before she left. After that he assumed he would probably never see her again.


A few days later he stopped by his studio after work and parked behind the contractor's giant blue pick-up truck that was often parked out front. He carried a small bag of snacks from the grocer's with him as he got out of his car. When he unlocked the door to his studio he was startled to find Chrissy sitting cross-legged on the old sofa with her computer in her lap. He stuck his head back out the door and saw her motorcycle parked in front of the contractor's pick-up.


“Um... hello,” he said to her with a perplexed look.


She only glanced up from her computer long enough to say, “Hey.”


“Did... did I forget to lock the door?” he asked.


She glanced up again and shook her head. “No.”


Then how in the hell did she get in?! he thought to himself. He opened his mouth to ask, then shut it again. It never took very much to confuse Ian, and he was definitely confused. He thought about it for several seconds and then decided to let it go for the moment. He started across the studio toward the coffee maker but stopped halfway and turned toward her.


“Are you on the internet?” he asked.


She nodded without looking up.


“On my wi-fi?”


She nodded again.


“But, that's supposed to be password protected.”


She finally looked up and pointed to a photo pinned to the small bulletin board on his wall. It was a picture of an attractive young woman and was signed 'Carey' in the lower right hand corner. “Who's that?” she asked.


“That's my daughter, Carey,” he answered.


“Yeah, well, you shouldn't use your daughter for a password.” She went back to her surfing.


He looked at her with disbelief for several seconds, then smiled and shook his head. He continued to the coffee maker and began preparing a pot.


“You know,” he said, “if you're going to break into my studio, the least you could do is make a pot of coffee.”


“I didn't break into your studio! I used a key!”


Aha! he thought to himself, mystery solved! “So you found the spare key I keep behind the mailbox out front.”


“Yeah, but don't worry, I put it back after I had another one made.”


“You had a key made to my studio?!!” he asked with amazement.


“Well... yeah. You said I could come over anytime I wanted to.”


“Yeah, but... I meant... oh, forget it!” he said with resignation.


“What's wrong?” she asked.


“Nothing. Nothing at all,” he said shaking his head. Part of him wondered why he didn't make a fuss about it.


She shrugged and went back to her surfing.


While the coffee was brewing he took some grapes, yogurt and cheese out of the grocery bag and opened the mini-fridge to put them away. He was surprised to find it filled with bottles of beer.


“You can have one of those beers if you want,” she called from across the room.


“Gee... thanks!” he answered with a touch of annoyance. He had to shove the bottles aside to make enough room for his things.


After pouring a cup of coffee he grabbed his sketchbook and some pencils and sat down at the little table he kept there. He spent the next hour and a half doing a series of rough sketch ideas for his next painting. Neither of them spoke the entire time.


Eventually she closed her computer, put it in her shoulder bag and stood up. She grabbed her helmet and stopped to look over his shoulder. She looked at the sketches that he had scattered around the table, pointed and said, “That one.”


“Huh?” he asked with a furrowed brow.


“That's the one you should use,” she said, “See you later.”


She walked out the door. A few seconds later, Ian heard her motorcycle start up and drive away.


He stared after her in wonder and disbelief. What an audacious woman! he thought to himself. Yet, he found her intriguing. Why?! What was it about her that made him hope she would return? Since his fridge was full of her beer, it was clear she was planning on coming back. The thought made him smile.


He picked up the sketch that she had pointed to and stared at it, comparing it to the others. Then he set that one aside and gathered up all of the other sketches and tossed them into the trash.



© 2012 Craig2591


Author's Note

Craig2591
As always, helpful criticisms are welcome.

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I think this is the best chapter so far! Chrissy's literalism over the key and coming over - just about moving in made me laugh.

I want to know what the sketch she picked was; that could be an opportunity to add to her character. Also, why did he throw out the rest of his drawings? Foreshadowing? I like it if it is.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Hmm... good point about which drawing she chose. Perhaps she picked out a dark, gloomy cityscape wh.. read more



Reviews

I think this is the best chapter so far! Chrissy's literalism over the key and coming over - just about moving in made me laugh.

I want to know what the sketch she picked was; that could be an opportunity to add to her character. Also, why did he throw out the rest of his drawings? Foreshadowing? I like it if it is.

Posted 10 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Craig2591

10 Years Ago

Hmm... good point about which drawing she chose. Perhaps she picked out a dark, gloomy cityscape wh.. read more
This is interesting with the gal having her own key made with the general invitation. This could turn either way. I like the way you dialog, it keeps the flow going. You do let it known that he likes her and is glad she is there. He takes her criticism without a second thought. That gave me pause.
Good storyline, will continue!
Faith

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very enjoyable chapter. Yes, she's a whirlwind that he invited into his life and doesn't quite know what to make of her.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Yes, these are repostings of a partial Chapter One that I had up here and didn't like. I took it down and cut it up and rewrote it.

Posted 11 Years Ago


Have these been reposted??? I feel like I've read slightly different versions of these chapters... This does however, remain one of my favorites.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I really liked this chapter even better then the others. I enjoy the angst she brings into the story and a bit of comedy with how she broke in and is secretive and yet making erself completely at home. she seems mysterious and i cant wait till you bring her walls down

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

691 Views
6 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 27, 2012
Last Updated on July 21, 2012
Tags: humor, romance, love


Author

Craig2591
Craig2591

OH



About
I am a visual artist with no formal training in creative writing. I get stories knocking around my head and sometimes I write them down. I decided to join this site to share them with other writers .. more..

Writing
Challenges Challenges

A Story by Craig2591



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..