What the heart told the mind

What the heart told the mind

A Poem by Abdul Aziz

"In this time and age,
Where sunlight quivers
At the tyranny of the day
And seeks refuge
In the vigil of the night,
What is hope
But a mural of that light
Painted upon the dome of dreams
With the very blood
Coursing through our arteries,
Yet just as lifeless as
As its progenitor?"
Asks the brain with the
Notoriously wise swagger
That reels in the senses
Towards itself.

Hope is what we live for,
What we crave for,
What we hope for,
And hoping die for.
Your logic is as always
Wondrous.
You speak of the tyranny
Of the day, to disprove which
I shall never be able.
But why not a coup?
Why not change the hostility
Of the environment that
Causes the sun to hide?
Without hope comes pessimism;
With pessimism comes misery.
Tell me, would you choose misery
Over joy?
Oh astute mind, your belligerence
Knows no bounds.
Why not your optimism?
Why not bring life to the lifeless
Mural and revel in happiness?

The mind smiles and tells
The heart "what an irony it
Is that you blame me for
Pessimism when you are
Me."

© 2010 Abdul Aziz


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

all i can say is WOW!

Posted 11 Years Ago


Abdul Aziz

11 Years Ago

Thank you :)
An admirable, challenging, philosophical piece of work. The thoughtfulness of the concept and introspective argument that has been personified here is so mellow and wise as to be charmingly persuasive on both sides. It is with a smile that one reads the words of each sentient element of Man; such a recognition of only-too-human character and perspective that one identifies quite instantly with the meaning and feeling.
People speak sagaciously of the segregation of "hearts and minds", when really they are twin souls in one body - so inextricably linked that they may only ultimately be mere moods; that Man is both heart and mind at once.
Persuasive, intelligent, profound work, licked with knowing irony.

Posted 11 Years Ago


A fascinating piece, Abdul. In my opinion, what we call "the heart" is just the area in the brain that that prefers emotion over reason, desire over harsh reality. The struggle between hope and reality is one of the great dilemmas of the age in my mind....



Posted 11 Years Ago


This is a very interesting concept. Yes, the brain and heart are at constant war, and they have different views. Your brain says something logical (just like your personified it here, with all that wise swagger), and your heart begins its inspirational speech on optimism. I liked the way you wrote it, infact, like a dialogue, and your language and rhythm is rather admirable. This also accentuates the struggles inside our heads, and how we find it hard to draw conclusions. Beautiful poetry, great job.

Posted 11 Years Ago


My favorite lines:

"Hope is what we live for,
What we crave for,
What we hope for,
And hoping die for."

I like the inner dialogue and how you query yourself within the poem.

There's a saying something to the effect that you can't control things, you can only control how you respond to them. While this is true, it's easier said than done. This is but one of the signs of our humanness, the fact that we are not all-knowing and all-powerful.

I appreciate that you are not afraid to share your more vulnerable side within poetry.

Linda Marie


Posted 13 Years Ago


It's something we all think about. Why are our minds and hearts at war, and when you add the soul into the mix you begin to wonder if human beings are wired wrongly! We're all built from the same epithilia, need the same nourishment, require similar forms of intelligence, yet there is always something more we crave.

Excellent and thoughtful write. Thoroughly and thoughtfully enjoyed the reading :)

Posted 13 Years Ago


This is a wonderful write and it does well in showing the tug o war between our minds logic and our heart. I have come to the conclusion they will never really agree even thou they are me. Yes I loved the ending perfect.

Posted 13 Years Ago


The mind smiles and tells
The heart "what an irony it
Is that you blame me for
Pessimism when you are
Me." ....very well thought out..and executed just as well..

Posted 13 Years Ago


there must be a wave of this feeling going on in writerscafe
we all try to make sense of what the heart longs for and what the mind convinces us of
then the body goes ahead and makes its presence known!
beautiful expression that every human can relate to


Posted 13 Years Ago


Bam!!!!! I love this. Damn, beautiful lines like a refined luxury sports car. "I said to myself....and myself said what?" The internal struggle to be better than we are. Great subject...fantastic writing and an all around enjoyable read.

Posted 13 Years Ago



First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

571 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 10, 2010
Last Updated on June 20, 2010

Author

Abdul Aziz
Abdul Aziz

Chennai, Tamil Nadu, India



About
Hello there. I'm a medical doctor by profession, in search of a better career. Right now, my only pastime seems to be navigating around the vicissitudes of life. I'm passionate about computers and p.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..