Could've Sworn I Knew You.

Could've Sworn I Knew You.

A Poem by aChickWhoWrites
"

Falling in love with an Alzheimer's victim.

"

"Your eyes are vacant as they sink into mine. We are entranced by each other for too long a time. The thick arching eyebrows, the way the edges of your lips curl into a crooked smile. They are all too familiar, but I am far too senile.

 

Could’ve sworn I knew you once upon a time.

 

Your hands quiver as they reach for mine. You remember how to touch me, send a shiver up my spine.

Because didn’t we once walk backwards, all the way home? Your arm slung around my waist; kept tousling my hair. My mouth was slightly ajar, I couldn’t help but stare.

 

Could’ve sworn I was there. I think I was there.

 

One dimple on your left cheek, I would dig my finger into whenever you smiled. I’d marvel about your beauty, you’d say it was only the reflection of mine. And then I would smile. All I could do was smile.

Cuz I swear I loved you once upon a time.

 

The clefts between your fingers are caked with whatever was in between mine. Even now as I look, those clefts are complementary to mine.

I think I knew you once upon a time.

 

But right now I am old; the edges of my memory frayed like the hem of worn blue jeans. I try to connect our story, but all that’s shaping out are scenes. Because I swear I’ve met you, if even in my dreams.

 

So who are you? And where have you been?”

 

I smile at you, you haven’t changed at all. The memory may be fuzzy, but the residue is strong.

Yes, you knew me, once upon a time.

Funny how our future echoes so vividly our past. I know you can’t remember, but this is exactly how we met. A man in love with a woman who doesn’t know he exists.

 

the original piece:

follow me on

© 2013 aChickWhoWrites


Author's Note

aChickWhoWrites
Feedback, maybe? What do YOU think?

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Reviews

You had one flaw and now corrected...figures huh?

I've two minds... this could be the poem, this could be a prose story. But, the main feel is emotional flowing and that IS poetry.

There is a lil Memorex after taste... but I think it is how you wanted it to be - not as a flaw but perhaps as a way of your mind coping with real thoughts perhaps peeking in?

Posted 10 Years Ago


First word - "You" or your?... after you say I shall read.

Posted 10 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
2 Reviews
Added on October 11, 2013
Last Updated on October 11, 2013
Tags: write, writer, writing, read, reader, story, poem, poet, poetry, song, lyrics, alzheimer's, dementia, disease, love, fiction, fanfiction

Author

aChickWhoWrites
aChickWhoWrites

Starlight City



About
In a world where everyone's the same, can I be different? Why should I fit in when I can stand out? If people were rain, you'd be a drizzle and I'd be a Hurricane. Current location: where the.. more..

Writing