The Wait

The Wait

A Story by Adrian X Fuentess
"

Marriage Equality

"
Dear Dads,
Katie and I have been talking about tying the knot. We have set a date, and after coming up with a budget and guest list, we think we are ready to let everyone know and send out the invites to save the date. 
We want something small; I'm sorry, I know you two wanted a big party to plan and take care of, but we want our ceremony to be very simple and personal. We aren't big into the charade for everyone to suit up and getting drunk for our happiness =or, end of such, as Katie and I joke about. Again, I am sorry I am not giving you the chance to throw a big party as you planned when I came out to you as a straight guy, and you were happy for me, and for the fact that at least someone would get to have this big celebration, but to be honest, I believe that marriage should be just between the couple and their loved ones. No need to spend thousands of dollars on unnecessary things. 
Dads, in these three years of our relationship, you have showed us that we don't need a paper to be committed to someone. What you two have is what Katie and I want, and thus far, we've made it because of what we've seen with you two around. We follow the same five rules, and it's made it us only stronger and kept us together through thick and thin, literally -communication, trust, honesty, respect, and understanding are the key. And some space every now and then, to do our own thing, to breathe and be alone; some ME time never hurts.

And while I'm being mushy, I want to thank you for all you've done for me. I know I was a pain in the a*s growing up, but that's what parenting is about, and I will probably go through the same when I have children of my own, and I'll come back to you for advice. So don't think you're getting rid of me this easily. In all seriousness though, I am the man that I am because I am the reflection of you, and so far, I've found an amazing woman, and she is grateful to have found me as well, so you two must have done something right with me, I guess.

Anyway, the reason of this letter is this: Katie and I will have a commitment ceremony just like you two did, and we'll hold the wedding until you two can also marry -I smell a double wedding- even if it takes another twenty five years. You two have supported us from the beginning, and we'll stand behind you through the struggle, because love is timeless. Love has no gender. 

xoxo
Alonso Miguel Conrad Fuentes

© 2016 Adrian X Fuentess


Author's Note

Adrian X Fuentess
I was wondering around, thinking of what to write, and this came to me, and soon it became a letter from my future son to Mitch and me. Enjoy, and I hope you like it.
Feedback always appreciated.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

537 Views
Added on June 28, 2013
Last Updated on June 21, 2016
Tags: lgbtq, gay pride, gays, love, marriage equality, doma, fathers, straight love, wedding, letter, lady gaga

Author

Adrian X Fuentess
Adrian X Fuentess

Omaha, NE



About
English is my second language, so i do appreciate some pointers in my grammar. Thanks for stopping by, and please feel free to leave me some feedback and coming back. i will return the favor. more..

Writing