The Phone Call

The Phone Call

A Story by Aukai
"

Best not to leave such ends undone. We don't want anyone interrupting our fun.

"

                The phone hummed warmly against my cheek. I idly transferred it from being sandwiched between one shoulder and ear to the other before nudging the kitchen faucet with my wrist, and beginning the long and arduous task of cleaning my hands-extra soap and steel wool. I whistled along with what I imagined would be the waiting music, had the dialed number been considerate enough to provide one.

They know how busy they get on Friday nights, the least they could do is entertain me while on hold.

I toyed with the idea of hanging up before someone finally answered, but decided against it. They have an irritating habit of following up with people who call in and disconnect before being helped. Best to nip this in the bud now.


I forgot to close the back door-Lucy’s going to get out!


I dashed frantically back through the parlor to head her off, had she seen the opening. I really didn’t feel like ambling down the street and calling her name at this late an hour. She poked her head out from around the corner of the laundry room just as I shut and locked the door.


“Thank god, sweety” I sighed heavily. “I thought you might’ve got out.”


She gave me the cutest look and whimper as I walked over to stroke her head, her collar jingling as my hands navigated behind her ears. Her eyes cowered slightly, no doubt from the scolding I had given her earlier. “It’s ok, girl. You just have to remember that my phone is not a toy.”


Honestly, I was a little impressed as to how she managed to unlock the screen and dial a number without the use of hands. The other end of the line finally beeped. I plopped down in the doorway and positioned Lucy’s chin to rest on my thigh:


“911-what’s your emergency?”


“Hi, we dialed you accidentally” I chuckled innocently while gently sliding my hand along the back of her neck-she looked tired. “Sorry for wasting your time.”


The lady on the other end audibly grumbled before allowing the line to go dead. I let the phone slide down my chest and into my lap next to her face. The screen was still aglow; the picture of the two of us smiling on my wallpaper reminded me of how happy we used to be.


“Looks like we’re not in trouble after all.”


I accentuated my point by clasping the sides of Lucy’s head and kissing her gently on the brow. Her eyes were a swirling eddy of fear and disappointment. I tugged on the ropes that were still tightly coiled around her wrists before pulling the knife from my pocket.


“Now, where were we?” I traced my blade down the bridge of her nose.


I could see her gag on a scream-she knew better than to upset me.


“Good-girl”



 

 

 

© 2017 Aukai


Author's Note

Aukai
Everyone loves a good dog, right?

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Such a simple story yet so interesting/suspenseful. Very well explained and expressed. I had to read the ending several times, It left me kinda confused about the why. But it was suspense! Tyfs!!!

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Aukai

6 Years Ago

There doesn't need to be a "why" for the reason a man like this does what he does. Thank you for the.. read more
Cyprian Van Dyke

6 Years Ago

Ah, I see what you mean.

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

135 Views
1 Review
Added on October 1, 2017
Last Updated on October 2, 2017
Tags: Story, short, fiction, suspense, killer, murder

Author

Aukai
Aukai

Greensboro, NC



About
Aspiring scribe and wordsmith-with deep interests in the dark. more..

Writing
Mirrored Pane Mirrored Pane

A Poem by Aukai


Burning Wind Burning Wind

A Story by Aukai