Tell Me Why You Write

Tell Me Why You Write

A Poem by AK
"

I recently welcomed a new writer and encouraged them to post their work. They responded that their pieces were far too personal to post here. I thought, "hello... that's WHY we write". It's supposed to be "personal".

"

 


  

 

Cadence, rhyme and meter
Imagery and flow
Tell me what is in your heart
Reveal to me your soul
 
Let me know what makes you weep
Drives you to your knees
Fills you with resounding joy
Refreshes like a breeze
 
What makes you want to grit your teeth
Or hold a loved one near
What can’t you live without.. or with?
What to you is dear?
 
How much will you share with me?
What treasures bared tonight?
Make a difference, touch my heart…
Tell me why you write!

 

 

 

  

© 2009 AK


Author's Note

AK
I write because I simply must.
Years ago I became discouraged because no one ever read my stuff. I had sent literally dozens of songs to scores of publishers and received only polite refusal letters. Everything I wrote just sat on a shelf. In my frustration I told God that I would never write another thing. Months went by and I slowly grew more miserable. That urge to take up my pen finally won out and I tried to write, for weeks. Over and over I would start something only to wad it up. As much as I wanted and needed to write, I just couldn't. At last I realized why and I humbly found a place in the corner of a little altar I know and asked Him to give it back. I finally understood, there on my knees before my God, that writing is a gift that we should treasure and nurture.
Develop it, practice it, have fun with it. But above all, use it!
Use it to encourage and strengthen and lend hope. Use it to make people laugh and weep and consider and understand. Use it to make a difference!

He later added... Actually I did mean metre, the British version of meter. I thought it lent a little more style. I changed it to meter though to eliminate any confusion.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Your experience in your author's note sounds like it would also make a good poem. I love this one. I really like this poem and it inspires me to write one kind of like it. If I do, I will give inspiration credit to you. This poem really expresses why people should write. No matter what is in your life, writing is one way to get through it. Thank you for sharing.

"and metre" --- Did you mean meter?

Posted 16 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

ohh my friend and you say no one reads you..
i just read the notes and the few words about the writing it tells how you understand this art..
you just keep writing ,if nobody read you ,does not mean they are no good ..
i can see the wonderful way you talk about writing and how someone told you they
cant tell personal things ,i ve been told that many time..
Tell me what is in your heart..Reveal to me your soul
Let me know what makes you weep..Drives you to your knees
What makes you want to grit your teeth..What can't you live without.. or with?
How much will you share with me?..Make a difference, touch my heart�
how lovely what you say..touch my heart with your feelings ,your pains and aches and thoughts
tell me all about you ,share with me..
thats writing from the heart..
lovely write..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Thank you for sharing. I truely enjoyed your poem. I had to look up candence, lol, I love learning new words. Im doing alot of that lately which I expect as a new writer/student. You ask why do I write? I ve been pondering that one, no one has ever ask why before. For me it's constant thoughts and stories bouncing around in my head, I'm always thinking! When something hits me I feel like if I don't get it down on paper I will lose it forever. Once its written its the same feeling you get when your in pain and the meds finally kick in! AHHH...relief! It doesnt matter if anyone else likes it, it just makes me feel better. Alot of ppl ask what I write, if they can read it or how long Ive been interested but no whys. Thank you again.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

The words in the poem seemingly explain the idea of encouragement for any unenthused,

discouraged, or new or lapsed writer. Very well done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Very well done. You got my vote.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Wonderfully penned, Ak, your poem is inspriration for all to write
and write we must~ I'd be lost if I couldn't express my self in/with
the written word~Fran

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Reading this again, I come back to that question that plagues me so often. Do I write to be published and read or do I write because it is better than the alternative? I guess I will know the answer one day.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I've often wondered why I write, there's just this need inside of me that has to be written out... I like the way you said "I write because I simply must." That is how I feel about my writing too. Thank you for sharing. Debileah

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Talking with others about why we write emboldens...
Sharing what we write can do the same, but so often goes beyond that.

I agree with Clouded. Your author's note could be a poem too.. :)
Thank you for sharing!

((Hugs and LOve)) ~SilentDream

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Wow, indeed inspiring and timeless, this is a great poem, and it has a way of
stirring the soul with passionate effect, the form, flow and meaning played
equal parts to bring this awsome poem to aspire to excellence.
causes the reader to look inward and question why things are the way they are.
pondering the meaning of artistry itself, this can be looked at in many ways.

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

write because we want to, because we need to
write because it is who we are, what we hope for
sometimes writing because we know what we want to say and put it into words
sometimes writing helps give words to what we want to say but cant

i am glad you can write again
^-^

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

607 Views
21 Reviews
Shelved in 4 Libraries
Added on April 6, 2008
Last Updated on March 11, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK