The One With The Mantle

The One With The Mantle

A Poem by AK
"

For my Pastor. She taught me that perhaps I might have some worth after all.

"

 

The Mantle, though threadworn and tattered
from a lifetime of continuous use,
still endues the bearer with all power,
wisdom, and insight to use.
 
The years, though not always gentle,
have given experience not found
in any, save one, chosen leader
who, for the flock had lain her life down.
 
The place of the one with the Mantle
in our hearts, no other can hold.
Her life – a holy example,
hardship outweighed by glories untold.
 
When answers from God are required
or just encouragement we need,
we look to the one with the Mantle,
whether we’re babes, or others we lead.
 
As the door to the world slowly closes
God must silence His call to all men…
The gates will open for the one with the Mantle
And the Bride shall follow her in.

© 2009 AK


Author's Note

AK
[ So Elijah went from there and found Elisha son of Shaphat. He was plowing with twelve yoke of oxen, and he himself was driving the twelfth pair. Elijah went up to him and threw his cloak around him... ] 1 Kings 19:19-21
Elijha's mantle was the symbol of the power of God and His calling for Elijah and Elisha. He who held the Mantle was empowered by God!

Update 4-2009...
I have known her for over thirty years, I guess you could say she raised me. Just two days ago I sat at her beside as we held hands and reminisced about all that we have experienced and faced together. This was only moments after her doctor came in to tell the family that her condition is both untreatable and terminal.
We all decided again that only God would make that call and that we would each continue to remind Him that we need her here more than He needs her there (although she does not agree).
We have always just assumed she would be here to lead us up when He returns to call us home. It is hard to imagine any other way.

My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review




Reviews

interesting subject matter and a powerful write
it is obviously very meaningful to you, the reader can feel it!

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A very powerful write. I know that type of people you mean (...even though I might not be one of them...). I have a friend whose a practioner of the sacred heart and he is the nicest fellow you could ever meet. It is good to have such great and inspiring guidance and you show your path wonderfully in this poem.

Posted 14 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

I was just stressing out about kids,dinner, bills and gave this one a read. You made me stop and remind myself what life is really about. Thank you for that. You made me smile and feel warm and fuzzy, be sure to give yourself a big pat on the back, beautifuly done!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Until the last stanza, I was sure this was about a cherished relative's, possibly a grandmother's
passing, and was prepared in response to recommend my, "The End Of The Page" , in which I refer
to her "Matriarch's Crown", rather than a Mantle, as the symbol of her Authority . But again, I
was wrong. You seem to have an ability to write specific accounts that have general applicability,
which is much to be coveted!
BTW, I lived in Kodiak when I was nine, and thought at first that it might be Afognak in the background of your profile pic.It and all the rest of the photos in your pictorial essay are stunning!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

ooh oooh oooh. This one gives me goosebumps. I want to 'write for God' but I often miss it. this one - this one is inspired.
I'm glad its a bit slow at the cafe. I so want to get caught up.

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

A beautiful tribute to your precious Pastor! So, do you believe that the mantle represents God's anointed ones, Ak? I haven't heard much teaching on mantles, but I do believe that many are anointed by God and carry mantles that have been placed upon them by God.

Tell me your thoughts on this!

There have been several absolutely revolutional scriptures for me that have changed my life. One is that "God is no respecter of persons..." meaning that he doesn't esteem one of his children more than another. He has given us each a special work that can only be carried out by us. We are all absolutely essential to creating the whole as evidenced in the book of Corinthians where it speaks about each part of the body....Will the hand say to the foot I don't need you, and so on and so forth.

Though He sets some in the body with the five-fold ministry gifts-Some apostles, some pastors, some prophets, some evangelists, and teachers-and each one is a very special calling and anointing, each and every member of the body is special and unique and needful.

When I think of you, I can't help but feel that the body of believers that you belong to, are very blessed to have you there. You carry a definite gift of exhortation...and who knows what else? You have infinite worth because you are a Child of the Living God, and the giftings that you carry and the anointing that you carry, is evident for all to see!

God's Blessings! Love in Christ, Carole

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

it is a particular blessing when our words can be used to let someone dear to us know how deeply their contributions are felt. . .

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

This is so very beautiful! What a tribute! I hope you let her read it. I especialy liked the last stanza about the bride following her in. And the description is so touching......that she was the one who showed you that you might be worth something afterall. You are worth the blood of God's own Son! You are His beloved child and He sings over you with joy!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

996 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Added on March 3, 2009
Last Updated on April 25, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..