Where Two Or Three Are Gathered

Where Two Or Three Are Gathered

A Story by AK

 

Where is that scripture…let’s see, yep that’s the one I’m thinking of…
 
St. Matthew Chap. 18:
19.  Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
20. For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.
 
What an amazing promise to all who will hear it. But an amazing responsibility also. This is another example of how we sometimes really are our brother’s keeper. Who could turn down someone’s request for a prayer partner? Who could walk away from another in need at the altar?
And yet, sometimes we do walk away without realizing.
 
I remember one particularly rough night many, many years ago. I was going through the most difficult days of my life and I truly was all alone, save God who would not leave me. I was sitting by myself in the darkness holding the telephone, so hungry to talk with someone, anyone. I thought of several friends but I couldn’t decide who to call. What would I say? Instead I asked God to put it upon someone’s heart to telephone me, anyone at all.
I sat and waited but no one called. It grew late so at last I went to bed.
 
A few days later a good friend stopped by for something and before leaving he said, “Ya know, I was going to call you the other night”.
I looked at him and tears filled my eyes. I said, “It was 8:37 Thursday night”. He looked at me with a stunned expression and quietly said, “Yes it was”.
 
He left but came back a few minutes later with tears glistening on his cheeks… he wanted to know how I knew when he had thought about calling me. I told him the story and we wept together for a few moments. He vowed he would never ignore that small, still voice of God again.
 
Have you ever had someone kneel next to you at the altar and quietly take up a portion of your burden, whatever it is? Have you ever pushed beyond the self doubt and knelt near someone to offer them your strength and help in the Spirit? If you have experienced either or both, you know that the bond, even if only for a moment, is unlike anything else you will ever experience. For a brief time your soul is bound with that of the other before your God. The two of you stand as one. It’s overwhelming and completely humbling. To help or be helped in God’s Holy Spirit is why we are here, plain and simple. My Pastor has always said, “God’s work is the people”. Effectual prayer with another must surely be our highest calling I think.
 
And yet we often ignore that little voice that so gently says, “Go pray with that one”.
Oh, I know… we usually think it’s just us. Who are we after all to presume to be spiritual enough to kneel at someone’s side? And yet, if we won’t go, who will? If God has whispered that to you it’s clear He thinks you can make a difference. If you won’t trust Him to know what is needed then what are you doing? If you won’t step out for Him by now… then when?
I’ve already learned that He will find someone else if we won’t stand in the gap when He needs us to.
 
“There is nothing I can do to help”.
That’s probably very true. There is nothing any of us can do for anybody when we rely solely upon our own devices. But God clearly knew that long before we figured it out. That’s why He made the way for us to receive His Spirit. And I’m not talking about the old “receive ye the spirit of the Lord - poof” gibberish that’s so common in today’s “church”, especially on television. I’m talking about the life-changing, vision-bringing, tear-flowing, toe-curling, fill-you-smooth-up-pressed-down-and-overfilled experience that our predecessors (the very first New Testament Christian church) experienced in the Book of Acts. The same experience (by the way) that’s still available, although not quite as common as that first day when “about three thousand souls” received the Holy Ghost.
 
So what does it take to get started with this real-time day-to-day walk with God? How can you truly know in your soul of souls that you have found the truth? Easy as pie...
 
Get out your Bible and read the second chapter of Acts. No, really... do it. Read the biblical account of the very first church of the New Testament. Read about what happened to those who were added that very first day. It's history!
And when you read through those glorious verses remember that God and his plan for us has not changed! Who told you it had?
 
Why am I writing this?
 
Because it is truth!
And because there are a few of you who genuinely want to know God as he is. You have a hunger that has never been satisfied. You sometimes weep for the desire to know him but don't know where to look. But you do know that all the lies and supposition about who or where God is is incorrect. You absolutely know in your soul (and always have) that God has more for you because there is a spot within you that cannot be satisfied. You see, God created that spot within you and it is reserved for his Holy Spirit alone. Nothing else can occupy that space.  I know you've tried to fill it with everything imaginable without success. I tried that too.
 
I could go on but you get the message. If you are one who truly wants to know God as he is I would suggest that you read Acts and DO something about it now! Ask God to help you find a church. Start asking him to fill you with the Holy Ghost as recorded in the Bible. He will hear you and things will begin to change in your life, absolutely. But don't delay, don't put God off until a more convenient time. There will never be a better time for you. And frankly, time is something we don't have much of.
 
If you feel anything in this piece, please pay attention to that feeling. Not everyone has known the hunger, and therefore the encouraging touch from God that would draw you closer. That's not to say that everyone doesn't get the chance, they do. But one must act, one must respond to God's touch.
 
How could you not? 
 

 

 

 

© 2009 AK


Author's Note

AK
No reviews required. It is enough that you read it.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I guess I am the first to come to this. And it touched me very deeply. You knew that it would, I guess. Your words generally do fill that place. I am very often that person who listens to the small still voice. I am sometimes the person who receives aid from it. This is beautiful writing. We are blessed that you share it with us here.

Thanks so much

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

First of all, I can’t begin to express how grateful I am that I was directed to this piece. It expressed everything I’ve been feeling for a little over a year perfectly. I’ve been a Christian my whole life, I’ve always loved God and church, even as a little girl, but I’ve never been fully satisfied. Thank you for writing this, because it’s incredibly powerful and something EVERY Christian should be able to read. You are a true Christian, and I can’t say that I know very many of those anymore.


Posted 11 Years Ago


This is something .. no one reviewed this very important write.
I am sorry for those who did not read this.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

There is nothing to query in your words; we believe and feel or - we do not. Some go through life content to be alone, others live their lives knowing there is a Friend always willing to comfort.

To sit silently alone or with a friend, perhaps upon the earth given to Man to care for and then, to warm at the sight of a never-ending sky full of soft clouds whilst the birds sing their own hymns, we feel a prayer of thanks and contentment deep inside. That's all He needs, our awareness. Not everyone can do that, not everyone wants to .. we need to accept that with grace .

Your words have set off a great thought in me, must follow it through .. to the end.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

As I come back to these words today, I notice that there have been 107 views. It is a good start. We are blessed.

Posted 13 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

[send message][befriend] Subscribe
J
i don't know what brought me here today. but it is where i needed to be. when you write this way, i know the hand spilling the ink is no longer your own ....... this is truly God-breathed, Dale. it is a beautiful inspiration. i know i've read it before, many times. but today was different. and. thank you.

Posted 14 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

i read it and i am humbled
thank you
peace

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I know you stated reviews are unnecessary, but I had to express my appreciation for your poignant and timely words. The scripture is very clear on its message and your reflections upon them are refreshing astute. The read also reminded me of this passage;
Ecclesiastes 4:12 (The Message)

12 By yourself you're unprotected.
With a friend you can face the worst.
Can you round up a third?
A three-stranded rope isn't easily snapped.
I know who I want as the third! Thank you for sharing.

God's Blessings be upon you!
Phill (ozofee)

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I pass by a sign in an open field every so often that says in big red letters "If it HIS will, we will build *insert denomination of the church here*". It always makes me cringe a little. There are so many churches with empty pews on Sunday morning, I can't imagine that he would wish us to build more half-empty houses. Where two or three are gathered, there I am in the midst of them. I would rather sit under a blue sky to hear the word of God than in a building of brick and stone.

Maybe it is willful of me to think so . . . one day I may think better of my stubbornness

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

I guess I am the first to come to this. And it touched me very deeply. You knew that it would, I guess. Your words generally do fill that place. I am very often that person who listens to the small still voice. I am sometimes the person who receives aid from it. This is beautiful writing. We are blessed that you share it with us here.

Thanks so much

Posted 14 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

716 Views
9 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 5 Libraries
Added on July 24, 2009
Last Updated on September 5, 2009

Author

AK
AK

AK



About
If you haven't visited my Alaska... well... well... shame on you : >) Small brook just outside of Woodstock, Vermont. October 14, 2010 "Oh... that feels so good" - May 17, 2009 .. more..

Writing
Just One Just One

A Poem by AK


Blue Moon Blue Moon

A Story by AK



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Kisses Kisses

A Poem by Robin


Crossing Crossing

A Poem by Robin