equanimity in a calamity

equanimity in a calamity

A Story by platinum
"

doctorate,mother with a flair to write,freelancing for magzines etc

"

EQUANIMITY IN A CALAMITY

3aC_9312-Damage-around-in-Gangtok-city-South-SikkimLIfe is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the MOMENTS that take our breath away�"�"-anon
Today our life has become fragile as we are facing natural calamities in the form of droughts, floods, tsunamis, quakes, etc. There is fear of death lurking in our minds. We have become paranoid due to this fear. I would like to share a personal experience where death was looming on our heads but clear thinking and positivity helped us to tide over the calamity.

My husband was transferred to Gangtok, the capital city of Sikkim for a 2 year stint. We accompanied him. Gangtok an apt name as it means ‘The town on a the hilltop’ is a tourist’s delight. One is mesmerised by it’s pristine beauty, magnificent mountains , rich culture and the flora and fauna untouched by man and nature. We settled down enjoying every moment of our stay. The salubrious climate added to our delight.

But as it is rightly said ‘All good things do not last forever’ so was the case. 18 th  September 2011 is etched on my mind. Being a Sunday I had finished my household chores early so I decided to relax. A cup of hot tea, potato wafers and my favourite t.v. show. A good way to gangtok_786566frelax on a Sunday evening. It was 6.18 p.m I.S.T, as I sat sipping the hot brew, suddenly I heard a dragging, then a moaning-groaning sound, the tea cup slipped from my hands to the floor, it teeter& tottered and then was smashed into smithereens. The wall clock too did a jig. Was I imagining things ? My family’s shout from the other room  made me alert, it dawned on me that we had been struck by an earthquake. Going down from our second floor apartment was difficult, so as soon as the quake calmed down we rushed out on the street. Hilly regions have serpentine roads and it was difficult to stand as people thronged the streets from all sides. There was a complete mayhem. People running helter skelter trying to locate their family members. An alert was given to the people, not to go home but stay in the open as aftershocks were expected. Power supply was disrupted, water connections broken, mobile towers broken, no communication was possible, only thing we came to know was, a 6.5 magnitude had hit Sikkim and neighbouring places. People had lost their lives and property,roads had been washed off and bridges had collapsed. We spent a cold, hungry, thirsty night. We experienced innumerable  aftershocks but of a milder nature. Throughout the night a drizzle added to our woes. The night spent fraught with worry. Morning saw people fleeing the place. My family too wanted to do the same, though I was shaken yet some inner imagesstrength gave me a pragmatic approach to things. I boosted the morale of the family and we decided to stay back and complete the remaining tenure. There was a pall of gloom all around ,as buildings had tilted, some had collapsed, while some had developed cracks and fissures from ceiling to floor. There was rubble all around. There were rescue teams trying to salvage  people buried in the debris, Wails and cries shattered the peace as people moaned the death of their loved ones.. The once beautiful place looked shoddy. But the calamity made me stronger and we completed our tenure, my children too passed out of school with flying colours.

Ardent faith in the Almighty, fervent prayers and  equanimity help us to face all the vicissitudes in life. It was a blessing that we remained unscathed though the jaws of death would have finished us.

© 2015 platinum


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

A heartfelt story. Thanks to it, I could see a glance of what had happened to you that day. May the future hold more blissful events for you in store, and thanks for sharing.

Posted 8 Years Ago


platinum

8 Years Ago

yes,thanks for the good wishes
Really loved the little quote in the beginning! Got me really hooked to the story :) Really great story!

Posted 8 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

294 Views
2 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 30, 2015
Last Updated on July 30, 2015
Tags: earthquake, sikkim, rubble, safety