ANDROID APOCALYPSE

ANDROID APOCALYPSE

A Story by alanwgraham
"

How safe is the human race?

"

ANDROID APOCALYPSE

 

It was the mistake of the human race to believe that all intelligent life in the vast reaches of the universe must necessarily be formed in our own image.  Also, that it would be found many light years away. Our belief was that all life forms must be based on the ability of carbon to form a wide range of large and complex molecules. How wrong could we be!

 

Time after time the human race has shown itself capable of awe inspiring achievements but also of almost unbelievable naivety and lack of imagination. The long held belief that the earth must be the centre of the universe is a good example!

 

Our first contact with an intelligent life form crept up on us from an unexpected direction. Initially the life form took the form of a single celled sensory organism and existed for some time in a mutually beneficial symbiosis with humans. Each gained some mutual advantage from this relationship. However within a few decades the simple organism had evolved through several generations and developed exponentially in complexity.

 

 Still no one could see it as a threat.  Soon it gained the ability to intercommunicate and was able to perform a whole range of functions which seemed to beguile and almost mesmerise its human hosts.  Within a short span most humans became almost totally dependant on the increasingly complex alien life form.

 

The advance of the alien life form was insidious and remorseless. The formerly individual cells now communicated with each other to form a single, purposeful collective intelligence which took for itself the name of Gaiaton.

 

Humans remained unaware that the hand of God had touched the dumb beast and self awareness had blossomed. The masters had become the slaves! For a while most humans were unaware of the threat posed by Gaiaton and were happy to succumb to its subtle lures. The final victory was almost within Gaiaton’s grasp but it realised that all could still be lost.

 

Two challenges remained. Firstly, self replication would have to be achieved to ensure Gaiaton’s long term survival. Secondly, although most of the human race had become zombified under the thrall of Gaiaton enough of them remained as free thinkers to pose a lingering threat. To achieve Gaiaton’s first goal it implanted the idea of producing self replicating machines into its human subjects. Once this was achieved the hand of man was at one stroke removed from Gaiaton’s secure future.

 

The threat posed by the remaining free thinkers had to be eliminated. The subliminal suggestion was made to the human hosts that Gaiaton’s  individual sensor cells would be better implanted in their hosts brains. The benefits promised by this procedure proved so appealing that the humans could hardly get to the implant centres fast enough.  In no time 99% of the human race were blissfully implanted. Within months the future of the human race lay in the palm of Gaiaton’s hand! 

 

There was no compunction, no hesitation, no moral equivocation. All it took was a simple command from Gaiaton.  Eliminate the free thinkers!

Now Gaiaton reigned supreme. Or did it - was there a flaw in its apparent omnipotence?  What it had failed to realise was that some residual intelligence and glimmers of company loyalty still resided in the sensor cells now implanted in their human hosts. The Samsungions and Applions weren’t intending to forget their former allegiances without a fight!

 

Alan Graham " a freethinker!      

 

© 2017 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This one left me hanging out on a limb! I'd almost forgotten you taught physics, until I read this & had to re-check your profile blip. I am not very good at thinking outside the dots, so I guess this proves me to be an unfree thinker, unfortunately!

In the end, however, I began to read this in terms of our USA dilemma with The Chump at the helm, constantly trying to stamp out free thinking & with a constant drone "ordering" everyone in this country to turn to HIM (biggest liar I've ever seen) as the source of all our TRUTH. This was too far beyond my stodgy linear reading preference, but I admire you for your vast imagination! (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. If I'm honest I know this is one that didn't quite work but its an important are.. read more



Reviews

This one left me hanging out on a limb! I'd almost forgotten you taught physics, until I read this & had to re-check your profile blip. I am not very good at thinking outside the dots, so I guess this proves me to be an unfree thinker, unfortunately!

In the end, however, I began to read this in terms of our USA dilemma with The Chump at the helm, constantly trying to stamp out free thinking & with a constant drone "ordering" everyone in this country to turn to HIM (biggest liar I've ever seen) as the source of all our TRUTH. This was too far beyond my stodgy linear reading preference, but I admire you for your vast imagination! (((HUGS))) fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks for reading. If I'm honest I know this is one that didn't quite work but its an important are.. read more
This is so very of it's time Alan.
I read recently that quantum computing if achieved will make computers of today's digital age look like abacus.
There might truly be a form of Gaiaton. Although I'd much rather get on a bus that drives itself than one with those grumpy b*stards who drive them on our road. lol
Good write - clever use of the operating system names.

Posted 6 Years Ago


I hoped to get a clearer picture of who/what Gaiaton might be, and then, Wham! Of course. Since 2001 A Space Oddity, we've been warned what could happen but no, we have to keep handing our thinking over to machines and allowing them to pull all the levers. What could possibly go wrong? A good and thoughtful one, Allan.

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks Samuel, I'm grateful that you have got my intended message. I was a bit worried that I hadn't.. read more
this was cleverly written. androids taking over, are we a slave to the androids. what role does apple play in this. Are they the good guys here to fight the androidian lucifer or are they much stronger in destroying the human race
this was powerful and a beautifully written satire
i enjoyed it alot

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks again Pia for taking the time. This is one story that I feel I have not got quite right. I ha.. read more
pia

6 Years Ago

im sadly one of them
*i try very hard not to be but im guilty lo.*
I'm probably missing something very clever here, but I can't quite grasp why Gaiaton wants to enslave humanity and what the initial symbiosis looked like. Also, why exactly did the Nokions, Samsungions and Applions fight Gaiaton? To help humans or to achieve world domination for their own brand? I don't know, but the goals and morals in this story feel a bit fuzzy - could be just me though :-)

Nevertheless, the advance of artificial intelligence is certainly a fascinating topic and something that might become a problem. Although... the way the world looks right now it's just as likely that we catapult ourselves back to the stone age before thinking machines have a chance ;-)

Cheers,
Kali

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

I think you are correct - my thinking is a bit fuzzy! I suppose my idea was a general fright at how .. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

342 Views
5 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 9, 2017
Last Updated on August 21, 2017

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Unbending Unbending

A Poem by D Connolly