EGG

EGG

A Story by alanwgraham
"

An egg can hold a surprise - and that's no yolk!

"

EGG




Sundays were for chilling after the stresses of the week. There were no demands, no worries - it was MY, correction - OUR, catch up time! At 7.30 the alarm didn’t ring, as it did Monday to Friday, but I woke anyway then promptly fell asleep. I woke again at 9 and I stretched and yawned.

‘Morning Tom, have you just woken?’ Mary gave me a peck on the cheek.

‘The usual - that bloody dog that didn’t bark in the night!’

‘What are you on about?’

‘You know - it was my alarm not ringing at 7.30 that woke me up.’

She gave me a strange look. ‘What dog?’

‘Forget it.’

 

Change of tack. ‘Did you sleep well - any interesting dreams?’ Mary knew that I dream prolifically and being a light sleeper remember many of them. Also, being something of a writer I jot them down for later literary use.

‘Yes, as a matter of fact I dreamt that I woke up and my wife asked me if I’d had any interesting dreams.’

‘Very witty - and what did you say?’

‘Funnily enough I dreamt that I woke up and asked you what you wanted for breakfast.’

Mary elbowed me.

‘Ouch! What do you wish for breakfast madam?’

At this point Mary kicked me and I fell out of the bed.

‘Only one egg for you this morning!’ I called from the floor.

I sat back on the bed and gave Mary an intense look.

‘What’s the matter Tom?’

‘I’ve just remembered that I really did have a long dream about an egg. I was actually inside the egg and it was dark but somehow I could see through the shell.’ 

‘And then what happened?’

‘You kicked the egg and the shell broke. I woke up.’

‘Is that meant to be a yolk?’ At least Mary had a sense of humour.

 

I was still laughing as I made my way down to the kitchen.

I opened the curtain and the sun flooded in. It was going to be a good day. I put the kettle on for my jug of ground coffee and took the bacon and mushrooms and the tray of free range eggs out of the fridge. I paused for a moment. Mmm - yes! 'Today is a six egg omelette day'. I took a bowl from the cupboard and a knife to crack the eggs. Sunday was a pleasurable tradition - breakfast in bed with the radio on and the papers to while away next few hours. Mary’s treat!

 

As I stood with knife poised to crack the first egg a strange feeling of déjà vu struck me and it wasn’t from last Sunday’s egg cracking - more like some lingering taunt clawing its way up from the cesspit of my unconscious. A feeling of being trapped,a feeling of darkness, but the moment passed. I gave the egg a sharp tap, midline, and the innards dribbled out into the pan. To say I was gobsmacked when I pulled the shell open would be an understatement - inside was another, slightly smaller egg. My mind seemed to congeal for a while and then I started to run through some options - a one in a million freak egg that I’d never heard of, a magicians stunt egg (maybe Mary’s idea of a joke!), or perhaps I’d actually nodded off and I was really cracking the second egg.

 

‘Well, I’ll never know,’ I said to myself, ‘I’ll just ‘crack’ on with brekker.’ Laughing at my own feeble joke I cracked the inner egg open. Unbelievably there was another whole egg inside. I nearly dropped the thing in fright and had to lean against the worktop until my legs stopped shaking. Any logical options were disappearing fast! I could have just have binned the lot at this point but some weird feeling of ‘purpose’ about the whole scenario seemed to infect me. I cracked this third egg and yet another appeared. I suddenly thought - where is this heading?

 

Just before I continued a strange hum seemed to come out of nowhere to permeate the room and my head. I felt calm, calmer than I’d ever felt. I lifted the egg, the knife and the bowl and sat down on the kitchen floor. This time there was no anxiety - I tapped the egg and somehow a whole swathe of worries seemed to slip away. Now I looked on the next egg with anticipation. As I cracked it the small amount of white that dribbled away stripped another layer of grime from my soul.

 

Now I could feel time slowing down for me. I cracked each egg in turn and I drew closer and closer to the creature that I should have been - no, the creature I would become! Then some preternatural impulse stopped me as I held a tiny egg. I knew, KNEW that the answer to the unanswered question lay within.

 

Just then the sublime moment was interrupted when Mary opened the kitchen door. Open mouthed, she stared at me sitting cross legged on the floor, humming some mindless chant. I was holding a small egg and surrounded by a mound of broken eggshell.

‘Excuse my French Tom but what the f*** are you up to?’

‘I’m … I …  I just cracked an egg and …. there was another one …. and this egg is the last one … inside I’ll find the meaning of life….

 

Slowly, like a sunrise, the light started to dawn on Mary’s face. 

‘Have you been taking your pills Tom?’

 

I made my way back upstairs feeling a bit confused by the whole episode but also having a strong sense that I had been within reach of the promised land.

 

Meanwhile, back in the kitchen, the final tiny egg lay on the table. If you had put your ear to it you would have made out a strident tapping coming from inside and a faint voice calling.

‘Tom, Tom, let me out - it's me! We've got to talk!'

 

© 2019 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

Eggzactly... say it like it is why don'tcha.......... you just blew my mind and scrambled it too with this oh' so trippy little omlette.. sorry, vignette of a tale well told and writ.. I shell now go and make a pot o tea and contemplate further some of the recesses of my own mind... No point in beaking about the bush is there.....Thoroughly enjoyed, no yolk but true my dear friend.. Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks pal! I can see this ommmm - lette just begs punning. It just started when i stood with an egg.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

Tis easy done my friend & true....write on, stay well, and the very best of British to ya....... Nev.. read more



Reviews

Eggzactly... say it like it is why don'tcha.......... you just blew my mind and scrambled it too with this oh' so trippy little omlette.. sorry, vignette of a tale well told and writ.. I shell now go and make a pot o tea and contemplate further some of the recesses of my own mind... No point in beaking about the bush is there.....Thoroughly enjoyed, no yolk but true my dear friend.. Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks pal! I can see this ommmm - lette just begs punning. It just started when i stood with an egg.. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

Tis easy done my friend & true....write on, stay well, and the very best of British to ya....... Nev.. read more
Interesting write. At first I thought it may be about a double-yoker. I really did like this. Visual.

Posted 6 Years Ago


This is intriguing and kinda cute too. enjoyed this muchly

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks Alex, Intriguing, yes. Even i'm not sure what it means!
Regards, Alan.
I'll be.. read more
lessa (kenzie)

6 Years Ago

I think in my opinion the egg is a metaphor about life in example. Could be forming a sign of life i.. read more
alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Good Alex. You can take different meanings but after I'd written it I realised that not taking the p.. read more
Your imagination is off the charts most of the time, but this one is taking us to other universes! I'm amazed at the way you tell this in a believable way & it conjures up so many possibilities in the reader's mind, too! Then the last bit, with Tom inside that last egg . . . too amazing how this ties back to the beginning dream thoughts. Good conversation in dialogue, showing a couple that's in sync with this guy's outlandish thoughts & sense of humor. I love the way your story shows the fun of finding a person who really "gets you"! *smile* Great storytelling, as always (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 6 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

6 Years Ago

Thanks once again. This story started just with framing the egg for b'fast and thinking 'what if'? A.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

731 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Added on January 25, 2018
Last Updated on August 1, 2019

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


He Is He Is

A Poem by Pete