A Lonely Grave

A Lonely Grave

A Poem by alanwgraham
"

The story of a lonely grave I found on a rough uninhabited coast of the West coast of Scotland

"

A lonely grave



Between the rocky point of Ardnamurchan and Mallaig

lies the wide silvery sands of Morar.

Between Morar’s sands  and Haakon’s inlet

lies the lonely bay of the otters.

Between the three rowan trees on one side 

and a patch of yellow irises on the other

lies a beach of ringing pebbles.

Above the beach, on a small sward of grass,

I found the rough stone outline of an ancient grave.

 

In the year of our Lord 1737 Morag McNab stood at the door of her black house and bade, the Lord willing, her husband Uilliam and her fine son Hector, safe voyage and good fishingWith his father, Hector loaded their open boat, the Caroline, with nets, cork floats, water bladders and bannocks and cheese.


Casting off from the rough stone village pier father and son rowed strongly with roughened hands out into the glassy sea of the inner sound. Catching a fickle wind they set the sail and tacked slowly out into the open sea in search of the silvery herring.

 

As father and son sailed they sang.


‘Where else should we go.

But asail on the sound.

With our friends that we love.

Where the herring are found.

 

Beyond the sacred isle of Canna, the silvery flash of a herring shoal caught Uilliam's eye.The nets were cast and after an anxious period, hauled in. In no time a silvery treasure lay twitching at their feet.

 

‘Thank the Lord, our task is done, said Uilleam.

‘It’s time to return with our bounty.’

Deeply laden in the water, the Caroline returned past the islands of Canna and Rhum to the inner sound. Father and son sat content, in the stern, smoking their clay pipes.

 

When all seemed fair for home the wind blew up and the waves grew high. The land was lost, the boat was tossed. Plucked by a wave, Hector was washed overboard. Uilliam held his son’s hand long but his grasp weakened, their fingers slipped. His firstborn was gone, grasped by the storm. As spring follows winter, the storm dwindled, the waves and wind calmed. Uilliam searched longer than hope lasted, for the remains of that day  and another, then turned, distraught and broken, for home.

As he sailed back, heavy hearted, fearing what was to come, Uilliam sought meaning - the Lord giveth, the Lord taketh away - but knew this would not satisfy Morag, waiting for her only child to return.

 

Morag McNab stood cross armed at the door of her black house, watching Uilliam approach, feet dragging, head down. There was no need for words as he lifted his head. Morag's spark was extinguished for ever!


A few days later, on a far shore, Mairi McLean walked alone, carefree, back to her village. North of Harold’s inlet and south of the three rowan trees, she came on a young man’s seaweed strewn body lying naked  between the yellow irises and the ringing pebbles.


Mairi ran home weeping. The men of the village returned, dug a grave. The minister was called, he intoned the necessary words and the grave was marked by a rough stone outline.

© 2018 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

I very much love the way you start out this story in such poetic prose. Your storytelling is very imaginative & it conveys the mood of this piece perfectly. Given your past stories, I expected a twist at the end, but instead this was a straightforward story reflecting the powers of your imagination. I admire you for seeing some ordinary thing in life & then composing a realistic & believable story to explain it. I love your descriptions of a life at sea, nicely realistic in a lyrical way (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Margie, I'm very glad you enjoyed this and I can see that the unpredictable can easily become.. read more
barleygirl

5 Years Ago

Love this share! It's like having a sweet dessert treat after the meal of your posted story! *smile*



Reviews

Alan, this is a triumph and in my opinion although I am very inexperienced, this could win an award or maybe if you publish it in a book of poetry and send it to Oregon is I will pay for it.

I love the fantasy genre and I absolutely love the names as more UGG seems to be an Irish name of an Irish warrior princess but it may not be. I love the pacing of it the imagery and how the story keeps you wondering how it was off and then when you say her spark was extinguish that one really hit home as I know firsthand what that’s like. So let’s continue reading each other poems. There is so much ripeness for writing poetry it blows my mind and almost everywhere I look and every book I touch there is room for brilliant poem !

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Kathleen. Your very kind words have made my day!This is set in the west coast of Scotland and.. read more
Alan, this is a remarkable prose/poem that whisks us away to another place, another time. Amazing story of this young man’s grave lost in history. Beautiful language, lyrical, musical almost mythological or Druid-esque feel and tone. An Ancient theme- a mother waits and wails at the loss of her beloved son to the sea, while his beautiful body washes up south of the Rowan trees, is found by a maiden and is given a primitive burial by the men of the village. You, the Poet, finds his grave and immortalizes it in this. Master-Class write. Magnificent and thank you for sharing it with us.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

That's very kind of you Annette. I am pleased with the way this turned out and I believe it does hav.. read more
This is an outstanding bit o writing Alan, a tragic tale told beautifully... I salute ya..... Neville

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

You are very kind Neville. This story had been in my head for a few years since I found that grave. .. read more
Neville

5 Years Ago

I am not at all surprised, and what a find it was and true... twas an absolute delight to read, in f.. read more
This was quite imaginative and enchanting to read. I love the in depth descriptions that you've provided, which lend all the more beauty to this poetic-prose.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks for reading this. I have been thinking about this story for ages and I'm glad you enjoyed it... read more
My grandparents came from Scotland and I have always been interested in the history
Lonely graves, craggy cliffs etc. reinforce my thoughts of certain areas of Scotland
You mention your interest in art
Have you ever come across a Scott artist named J. Storch
My grandmother brought one of his paintings over here (Canada) and although she was an artist she abused his absolutely beautiful painting of an abby, somewhere in the meditterean, as a fire place cover.
Actually your story brings up quite a pile of memories
Enjoyed it



Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Dave. It's great to hear a little of your personal story and it always helps when you make so.. read more
A wonderful, epic tale to read.i can smell the salty sea air from the imagery you have written.well done

Posted 5 Years Ago


A tale beautifully told Alan. I recognise some of the places mentioned, Mallaig in particular, and have come across many cairns in my time, and your words have the same feelings of wonder, as I myself have often wondered about these graves from a time before us all.
Poor Morag. Her worst fears realised and an unbearable loss will change her every waking thought.
Enjoyed this, especially as it names those involved, making it all the more real.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks lorry. Good to see you back here. You can't help think about what might have been when you go.. read more
Could imagine myself being right there in the depth of your poetic story. As all unravels and takes place.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Dee. I found this forgotten grave a few years ago and I've often thought who lay there.
.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

You have a wonderful storytelling way about you Allan. With such charm, grace and flare. Beautiful d.. read more
Now you know I'm going to like this Alan and I do.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

I hoped you would and I'm chuffed. Cheers,
Alan
A very entertaining read Alan. Very descriptive, you brought all the characters to life and your story is touching. Changing weather when you are at sea can certainly play havoc and take lives. I can imagine the distress Morag McNab incurred learning that her son had been lost at sea. It was certainly a small blessing that his body was washed ashore and he received a decent burial. I always enjoy your writing Alan. Well done.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

I did Alan. It's strange how you can carry these ideas for years, and then suddenly the right moment.. read more
alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Things are going well thanks Chris. I have also just sold a painting at our art exhibition so double.. read more
Chris Shaw

5 Years Ago

Well done you. A cause for celebration Alan.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

792 Views
13 Reviews
Rating
Added on June 3, 2018
Last Updated on July 23, 2018

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..