Positive Feedback?

Positive Feedback?

A Story by alanwgraham
"

Time is running out!

"

Positive Feedback?


Dec 31st 17.00


Christmas can often be a challenging time for families estranged by distance and fueled by unaccustomed closeness and over consumption of alcohol.  Mary and I count ourselves fortunate as we get on well with our grown up children, Hamish and Kirsty and their partners, Gaia and Hugh. This year we had a quiet Christmas but managed to gather the brood for our traditional Scottish Hogmanay.


Early on old year’s night we laid out a surfeit of spicy and savoury snacks and Hamish took orders for drinks. Once we were all settled comfortably I raised my glass. ‘It’s a real treat for us all to be together tonight. Here’s tae us!’

‘I’ll drink to that dad!" and lang may your lum reek!’

‘Very funny Kirsty, there’ll be smoke coming out my chimney for a while yet.’

‘Not if you don’t get some more logs on that stove soon dad!’ Hamish observed and then leapt at the stove - his childhood pyromaniac tendencies were still strong!


‘Thanks goodness the festive season’s nearly over for another year. My purse is empty and the waste bin’s full. Unwanted presents, wrapping paper, cards, bottles, food we never ate - we never learn!’

‘You’re right Gaia, but it’s not just Christmas. We use too much of everything all year round. Then our leaders tell us we must consume more and more.’

‘It’s been a funny year,’ Hugh said reflectively, ‘first we had one hurricane after another, then the snow that went on for ever, then the heat wave that lasted all summer, then the great flood.’


‘I think we all know what’s going on Hugh,’ Mary added, ‘but most of us only make a token effort at saving the planet. Kirsty and Hugh are an example to us all - you’ve given up your car, cycle everywhere and recycle, grow your own food, but …’

‘I know what’s coming mum, our yearly trip to India. We know the flights undo a lot of the rest but our only excuse is that we are going to do voluntary work. I know you’re not getting at us but we’ve thought hard about this and we can’t turn the clock back completely.’


 ‘My goodness, the conversation is getting heavy. How about playing a party game, remember we used to enjoy charades!’ Mary tried to lighten things. ‘I know mum, but we don’t get a chance to talk much and isn’t this the traditional time when we should be taking stock. What about inventing a new game - we could call it ‘Save the planet’ - like Monopoly in reverse!

‘Sometimes I think it doesn’t really matter what we do when big business and the politicians are talking growth all the time. It’s like fattening up the lemmings before they go over the cliff!'


'What do you think dad?’

‘Having that ‘Chump’ in American isn’t helping, although even a sane politician is reluctant to give the masses bad news. I think we have just have to do our own bit and pressure those in power.’

‘On that note Mary, can you pass me one of these oranges fresh from its journey from Spain!’

 

Dec 31st 17.30 Flight RYZ633 at 32,000ft


Bob and Sarah are returning from a Christmas break in Tenerife. Escape from the cold and dark of the Scottish midwinter has recharged their batteries and choosing to return on Hogmanay has reduced the fare. The flight has passed quickly for them with an early tipple and then a coffee to ease the four hour journey.  The captain of their Airbus 320-200 announces that they are now tracking up the east coast of England and in twenty minutes will start their descent into Edinburgh.


‘I’ll be glad to get back for New Year Sarah - it was great in Tenerife but it felt a bit weird celebrating Christmas lying on a  sunbed.


‘I know what you mean Bob. The strangest bit for me was when Santa waved down to us from the roof of the hotel and dropped presents down on little Christmas tree parachutes. Seriously, I can’t help feeling a bit guilty about flying all that way for a holiday.  Perhaps we’re good at talking the talk but not so good at not flying the flight.'        

‘I like that Sarah - but maybe the Ryanair boss wouldn’t! We like flying to all these exotic places but somehow we can’t or perhaps don’t want to think it all through. It’s too easy to focus on all the jobs involved in the tourist industry and forget about the effect on the environment.’


‘Would passengers please return to their seats and fasten their seat belts. We are starting our descent to Edinburgh Airport and should be landing in approximately ten minutes. Thank you and we hope you enjoyed your flight.’


Bob gave Sarah’s hand a squeeze.

‘We have our new-year party to look forward to now.'          Sarah smiled and nodded thoughtfully. ‘You know Bob, I’ve been thinking that when we're in a plane we are in our own little self-contained world. We’re in this incredibly complicated machine flying through the atmosphere at god knows what speed. It's a bit like us hurtling through space on the earth. We’re given all the necessities of life and invariably reach our destination safely.’

‘I know Sarah. I suppose we just take it for granted - if they could just invent a car that was so reliable.’

‘I remember reading that in the USA there has not been one single fatality in a civil airliner for seven years.’

‘That’s almost unbelievable Sarah.’ Bob replied. ‘It just shows what we are capable of.’

‘I suppose the engineers know that once a small fault happens it can quickly become catastrophic and no-one would risk flying. I think they call that positive feedback!'


Flight RY633 17.55 8000 feet


In the left hand wing engine, in one of the high pressure turbine discs that has performed perfectly for 11,000 hours of flight, a hidden and undetectable flaw in the metallic structure suddenly fractures the blade in two. A fragment flies off at high speed, severs the main engine fuel feed line and breaches the main fuel tank. The passengers feel an imperceptible tremor and several alarms sound in the cockpit.


Captain Trumpet, in command of this flying ecosystem immediately realises that this is an extremely serious situation. He alerts the stewards and attempts to avert the imminent catastrophe.

With no fuel reaching the engine it cuts out and the passengers feel a noticeable judder.

Fuel spraying from the supply line catches fire and the engine bursts into flame. Passengers can now see the burning engine and several scream.


Now the main fuel tank explodes and in a matter of seconds a large section of the wing breaks off. The plane becomes impossible to fly and starts an uncontrolled ballistic descent towards the outskirts of Edinburgh below.


There is general panic in the passenger compartment as the unbalanced plane tumbles down in its final and fatal trajectory. The pilot is no longer in control of the plane and his final actions are to jettison fuel and alert air traffic control.


18.02  Musselburgh -the outskirts of Edinburgh


Good god Mary, what’s that noise?’

Hugh went to the window and peered out.

‘What’s that orange light, Hugh?’

Hugh looked up to the right and stood open mouthed for a second or two, struck dumb.

‘What is it?’

‘Oh fu……


Postscript - A few years later


Global warming has continued and the earth has reached a tipping point where positive feedback mechanisms are gathering pace.

When ice is melted due to man-made warming it is replaced by darker water or land, which in turn absorbs more heat and then melts more ice.  Carbon deposits from plants trapped by the permafrost release methane which speeds up the greenhouse effect to melt more permafrost which releases more methane which ......


And so the unvirtuous cycle of extinction gathers pace. We will witness our self-inflicted catastrophe as helplessly as the passenger’s faces at the windows of a doomed  aircraft.


Have a good new year!

 

   

                        

 

© 2018 alanwgraham


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

This is one of your most conversational writes, not a bit subject to your sometimes-torturous pruning, I think! *smile* Your storytelling flows well, with easy transitions, realistic dialogue, & an underlying statement about global warming that's subtly camouflaged within your storyline. You include so many things I've also thought about. As California burns up every year now (we used to have a fire season, but now we get massive fires every month of the year) . . . we can't help but feel like avoiding a little exhaust seems so futile as the flag of our smoke reaches the opposite coast! I think we've hit critical mass & we may as well kiss our asses goodbye. Sorry to be so cocky, but I'm glad I never had kids, especially for this reason now. Your spoofy way of setting up this story does not temper your deep concern for the environment & your brutal sarcasm for those who think this isn't man-made! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Margie for your usual thoughtful and honest review. When I write stuff like this I can see fr.. read more



Reviews

Fascinating, excellenly written story with a very important message Alan. Great detail and description of characters and Scottish tradition and holidays. Had to research Hogmanay and Tenerife as I was not familiar with them- so thanks for the introduction! Very clever insertion of descriptions of environmental threats that we carelessly add to every day by our daily practices. Also the subtle political references hit home. Did not expect that ending- It was a stunner! I won’t give it away now. Great read. Great theme. Let’s all work for change I say!

Posted 5 Years Ago


Yep, we're all on a crash course here in Trumpland, I fear.
Nothing we can do, however, until the next election.
When that happens, look out,Trumpy the Orange Clown.
Great read, Alan!

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks again Angel. I know this didn't have a happy ending but as they say we're all in the same boa.. read more
Hello Alan, I always enjoy your stories. I look at the message in yours and think what's the point in walking and leaving the car behind when there are far bigger fish to fry. But then we have to start somewhere, and I wonder just how long we can continue at this pace. We will surely run out of time. We're doomed. we're doomed (Dad's army, did ya ever watch it?") Technology is a curse as well as a blessing, and I don't know what the answer is. We seemingly carry on with little regard for nature and the natural environment. We can do our bit, but we have no control over what most other developing nations do. Thought provoking and it's New Years Eve. Time for another drink. Pass the vino please.

Chris

Posted 5 Years Ago


Wonderful Poem Alan really draws you in and keeps your attention from start to finish. Enjoyed everything you had to offer and so much more besides.

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

That's very kind of you to read this and write such a great review. It's sad to think that certain p.. read more
Onlyme

5 Years Ago

Alan, forget what anyone would thinks. They are not worth thinking about. You are very talented Alan.. read more
alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

You are very kind Dawn. I was really thinking about the climate deniers encouraged by the big Donald.. read more
Wow, you really wrapped that up well Alan. Beginning at new years eve and ending, just like most of our new year resolutions, where we pat ourselves on the back and give ourselves a reward for thinking about quitting or cutting out something we already have too much of, but never getting round to do anything about it.
Good luck translating some of this to our friends across the pond. We do have a way with words. :)
ps...A quiet hogmonay???? and ? Never heard of such a thing :)

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks lorry.I'm glad you got something out of it. I was worried there might be too many facets in t.. read more
Technology will be our downfall I expect; not particularly because of technical advance itself; but because of the increasingly diffident way we treat nature as being of little consequence.

Beccy.

PS. You've quite put me off flying to Fuerteventura next month;
I think I might just go via bus, train and ferry. :))

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Beccy, for your very perceptive comments. Will technology fix global warming - I'm not convin.. read more
This is one of your most conversational writes, not a bit subject to your sometimes-torturous pruning, I think! *smile* Your storytelling flows well, with easy transitions, realistic dialogue, & an underlying statement about global warming that's subtly camouflaged within your storyline. You include so many things I've also thought about. As California burns up every year now (we used to have a fire season, but now we get massive fires every month of the year) . . . we can't help but feel like avoiding a little exhaust seems so futile as the flag of our smoke reaches the opposite coast! I think we've hit critical mass & we may as well kiss our asses goodbye. Sorry to be so cocky, but I'm glad I never had kids, especially for this reason now. Your spoofy way of setting up this story does not temper your deep concern for the environment & your brutal sarcasm for those who think this isn't man-made! (((HUGS))) Fondly, Margie

Posted 5 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

alanwgraham

5 Years Ago

Thanks Margie for your usual thoughtful and honest review. When I write stuff like this I can see fr.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

457 Views
7 Reviews
Rating
Added on August 17, 2018
Last Updated on August 18, 2018

Author

alanwgraham
alanwgraham

Scotland, United Kingdom



About
Married with three kids, I retired early from teaching physics but have always enjoyed mountains. In my forties I experienced a manic episode which kick-started a creative urge. I've written a novel .. more..

Writing
The Seer The Seer

A Story by alanwgraham



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..