adventure

adventure

A Poem by ~amanda~
"

meeting an old friend

"

 You called me last Monday,

You were in town for a week,

And wanted to say hello,

Maybe see each other one more time.

I watched you roll a joint in your bedroom,

A funny new habit you picked up,

Along with the meth and cocaine.

You did lines while I finished your joint,

Perfectly rolled in your experienced hands.

We took a bus to Hollywood,

Both of us too stoned to drive.

We waved at the tourists,

On their double decker busses,

Maps to celebrities’ homes clenched,

In their eager hands.

You got one more tattoo,

A quote by Lao Tsu,

Permanently etched into your skin,

Would you even remember,

I was there with you holding your hand?

We ate at a sandwich shop,

Maybe it was pizza,

I couldn’t remember if I tried.

And called some friends,

Mostly yours,

And yes, that included your dealer,

Mine has never been my friend.

None of them were in Hollywood,

I didn’t think they would be,

You needed more people surrounding you,

All of Hollywood was'nt enough.

So we made our way back to the bus,

The ugly orange one,

We made fun of when we were kids.

I stopped one block away from my house,

Bid you goodbye,

And found my way home.

I still cant believe you got a tattoo,

That you do coke,

And that you’re still so tall and gorgeous,

Like I always wanted to be.

I  think you’re leaving tomorrow,

Maybe we’ll celebrate with one more adventure,

Chances are I’ll never see you again.

But at least you’ll always have Lao Tsu,

To remember me by.

 

~amanda~

© 2008 ~amanda~


My Review

Would you like to review this Poem?
Login | Register




Featured Review

A story poem. Really well written and bitter sweet throughout. We often find ourselves in this position with friends and loved ones we do not see very often...sometimes it feels like they haven't changed a bit (whilst we have) and sometimes they've changed so much it's hard to fathom but there will always be a connection once they remain the same in their hearts..
I enjoyed this and the imagery and emotions it conjures. Food for thought too.
Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.




Reviews

Two thumbs up! 5 star tour de force! i think i am starting to cry!

Posted 15 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Though the tattoo remains, all else will remain in a fog of forgetfulness. Unfortunately...or not, that includes you.. Drugs and memory have never been the best of friends. Beside I have never understood how one can say they had a good time losing their mind. That is really not an adventure you know..

Go water skiing, mountain climbing, fly a stunt plane, jump out of one...lol You will certainly create a memory and have a fantastic adventure.

BTW the short poetic story was well written. and clear..

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

very good write!!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

What a read! I enjoyed this very much. Meeting someone from the past, good or bad, there is nothing like it to compare it against. Hanging out and doing some silly things. Remember what you did or if you can't, the one thing that will remain is the memory that you did spend time together. And in the end thats all that matter.
Leran Vakem

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

"You got one more tattoo,
A quote by Lao Tsu,
Permanently etched into your skin,"

Just a thought, would it still be to the point if you did like this...

"You got a quote by Lao Tsu,
Permanently etched into your skin,"

I liked this poem but i wasn't so sure if this was a message about drugs use or if it was simply just an observation about his drug use.

......... You know what, I re-read it and it made me think of the girl i'm kind of dating now. We have a really good time when we go out but I sometimes wonder if she even remembers the next day and that is really sad. Im thinking of moving on for just that reason.

Thanks for the read. Ed



Posted 15 Years Ago


You have written a prose poem with a strong message... I can imagine you were looking forward to meeting an old friend and at the same time baffled by the new habits... I do not know how I would react if suddenly someone from my past would ring my doorbell, completely changed, the opposite of the picture you had always kept...
The saddest thing is that when you do things under influence, whether funny or not so funny, whether dangerous or not dangerous, you cannot remember properly or like your friend nothing at all...
So what is the point of having fun if you cannot remember.
Yes, I understand you concern, because chances are, you will never meet again...
Sadly, this is not only your friend's story, but the story of many. Therefore I would like to thank you for posting, because it contains a message that needs to be spread ...

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

A story poem. Really well written and bitter sweet throughout. We often find ourselves in this position with friends and loved ones we do not see very often...sometimes it feels like they haven't changed a bit (whilst we have) and sometimes they've changed so much it's hard to fathom but there will always be a connection once they remain the same in their hearts..
I enjoyed this and the imagery and emotions it conjures. Food for thought too.
Well done.

Posted 15 Years Ago


3 of 3 people found this review constructive.

Those Hollywood Nights.... Enjoyed the read Amanda, Lewis

Posted 15 Years Ago


that was a fun read quite scary and sad but so true and familiar thanks for the read i loved it it was a brilliant piece cant wait to read more!

Posted 15 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.


3
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

909 Views
29 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on August 21, 2008

Author

~amanda~
~amanda~

Hollywood, CA



About
i hate filling these things in... i end up deleting everything i write and then trying for a ridiculously long amount of time to compensate for it... my name is amanda. i am a capricorn. i .. more..

Writing
Letters. Letters.

A Poem by ~amanda~


Hotel Room Hotel Room

A Poem by ~amanda~



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


alone alone

A Poem by ~amanda~