The Stories That Go Untold

The Stories That Go Untold

A Story by Exa Lectric
"

A story from the past about a sacrifice... Heroes that aren't always noticed.

"

                When you think of a super hero, do you think of a fictional character with inhuman abilities that saves the world from evil villains? Or do you think of the people who will give you a coin if you ask, even if they just met you? I think of the latter. I knew one of these super heroes once, and I will never forget…

                I looked out across the water, and watched as it lapsed against the rocks on the far shore. In the moonlight, I could just barely see the gleam of the moon on the ripples. This time of night had always been my favorite.

                A voice startled me from my perch atop the roof, and I peered over the edge to see where it came from. Two men stood below, with three large chest between them. I couldn’t make out what they were saying. Without a thought, I swung over the edge of the carriage house and landed softly in the bushes behind the men. Close enough to be in earshot, but far enough not to be seen, I was able to hear their conversation.

                “Do you have the chests? The duke did not notice their absence did he?”

                “Aye sir, it is all in order, as you asked.”

                “Good. Now load them on my carriage before anyone sees.” At that moment, a breeze blew through, bringing pollen into my nose. I was unable to stop the perusing cough. The men stopped what they were doing and looked in my direction. The ‘buyer’ pulled out a gun and headed toward my bush. I had nowhere to go. He pulled me out from my spot and dragged me toward the carriage.

                “What have you heard, stupid girl?” he snapped. I was unable to answer, out of my fear I now conclude, and stared at the dusty ground below my bare feet. He began to raise the gun to my head when the second man spoke.

                “No! Don’t harm her! She is naught but a girl. She can do no harm, and she will not talk of this. Will you?” I shook my head back and forth in rapid succession as the tears streamed down my face.

                “Well well, if you ever say a word, you will be dead by my hands doing before you can even suck in a breath. But just to make sure…” He trailed off and looked to the other man. Then he let go of me and pointed the pistol at the other man. “Your death will just be an example to little Miss of what can happen to her. What do you say to that?”

                The second man looked into my eyes for a moment, and he said “Leave her be, and do what you please to me. I am more deserving than she.” And without hesitation, he pulled the trigger and the shot rang through my ears.

                He tucked his weapon into his belt, got in his carriage and drove off. I ran toward the dying man, and looking into his face, I saw he was barely a year older than me. He smiled through his pain and I applied pressure to the wound in his chest.

                “Why?” I whispered to him.

                It took him a moment to gather enough breath to reply and all he said was, “Because life means more for you.” His eyes glazed over and his breathing stopped. I knew there was nothing I could do now.

                I got up and dragged his body to the shore. Careful not to damage him, I climbed down the rocky edge and gently placed him in the waters. With a soft push, his body floated into the current and was swept out toward the sea. I remained there watching, until his body was long out of sight and the sun rose above me.

                I know I can never forget the life that was given for mine, the life that shouldn’t have been destroyed. The life of a true super hero is never valued until it is gone. Not everything they give for us, do we deserve. We should all strive to be someone who deserves their service. So many are used, not appreciated, but I will never be one of those people. I will never forget.

© 2011 Exa Lectric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

291 Views
Added on July 26, 2011
Last Updated on July 28, 2011
Tags: sacrifice, hero, heroes, victorian, 1800, 1800s, 1800's, 19th century