Found

Found

A Story by Exa Lectric

            The water rippled softly. Crescent shaped waves disturbed the smooth glass surface. The reflection of the moon and the stars shone brightly on the water, swaying softly as the surface flowed. I ran my fingers through it; cool to the touch. Full of motion, the reflections almost disappeared altogether. I brought my wet fingers up to my cheek, feeling the moisture on my skin. I sat down next to the water’s edge and closed my eyes, pulling my knees up tight to my chest.

            The dampness of the hard-packed earth beneath me sent a chill up my spine. The air was cold as it set a morning dew on my skin. I remained still for what seemed like an eternity " long enough for the moon and stars to fade as the sun rose in front of me. The sunlight gleamed off the metal around my neck. Remembering it, I felt it burn into my skin. It marked me " a mark I didn’t want to bear.

            I pulled on the fine chain and heard a snap as it fell into my hand. The two intertwined hearts staring at me with an icy glare. I moved my other hand to my neck where smooth naked skin lay and let out a sigh. My eyes closed, I tightened my grip on the necklace.

 

            Life moves like water. It has ripples, and smooth surfaces. Sometimes it dries up, leaving a cracked scarred land. Sometimes it overflows, drowning the life around its banks. But it always balances out in the end. You always move on.

            Life moves like water. It always recycles itself and the spectators don’t know it’s happening. If you leave a token behind; someone crossing your path will find it and it will aid them on their journey. And when it is time, they too will leave it for another to happen across.

            Life moves like water. It will never end. If your time is up; it will return and start anew. It will choose a new path. It will go on for eternity.

 

            When I opened my eyes again, I stood, dropped the necklace in the puddle, and walked away. I was headed out of the forest, with the deep forest behind me and the light in front. Wind swirled around my hair as I walked; its tongue whispering in my ears.

 

 . . . A puddle can be found in every forest if you look long enough for it.

© 2013 Exa Lectric


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

118 Views
Added on December 29, 2011
Last Updated on January 21, 2013