Rise of a New Age

Rise of a New Age

A Story by R.O.A.R.
"

Fen has found herself quite dead when she meets the Mother of All, Caanan. Now she must find a way to keep herself from being wiped out of the universe forever.

"

She stared down at her mangled corpse and sighed. That arctic wrighthound sure did a number on her. Her guts were spilled out, turning purple as the froze in the bitter cold. The blood that had been gushing out moments before stained the purity of snow. Some of it was splattered on trees and rocks in the surrounding area. White fur torn open on her arms and neck from her battle. Her left hand barely hanging on to the rest of her arm. The black fur there made it hard to see the blood but did nothing to hide the muscle and bone. Light fawn colored eyes started to develop a milky film. Either from it being so bloody cold out or from dying in general. Blood that had been dripping from her fleshy black dog nose froze on her white furred face. Her mixed dog-cat like ears were hidden inside her rope-style hair. At least that still looked decent. Glancing around, she noticed her tail had been ripped off at some point and was nowhere to be found. Damn beast must’ve made off with it as a prize. Turning around she made sure that it at least came with her in the afterlife, and was pleased to see it wagging in the breeze.

Sighing once more she came to the hard conclusion: She looked terrible.

“What were you thinking, Fen?” She muttered to herself. “A wrighthound. A gods-be-damned wrighthound and you just had to try to take it on. They only stand about fifteen feet high and have the ability to take on twenty trolls at once, but nooo. No ser, you, standing at five feet four inches, weighing in at one hundred pounds, figured ‘Why not? I can take it!’ Idiot.” She kicked her corpse self in the head.

The wind whipped around her; howling between the trees and the distant mountains. At least she couldn’t feel the chill while she was dead. Which was good because this dress her spirit-self was wearing just happened to be completely impractical. Never in all her twenty-five years had she ever seen a dress that had no fur lining or sleeves. Must be one of those ‘summer dresses’ the ladies always went on about.

She examined the thin green fabric. It was a rather pretty thing. This would have been the type of dress she would have worn if she had made it out of the Nine Shivers. Pouting she cursed herself to The After. Why did she have to leave Lochinvar? Oh, right, because no one in that town knew how to have any fun. The stories of people in the southern forests and the coastal lands had so much life in them. It seemed as though people were always having some kind of party or celebration. Mischief and fun are her specialties!

“Well you’re not going to be having any fun now Fenny.” Plopping down in the snow, she rested her chin on a padded palm. “Death does not equal to fun, no Miss.”

“I don’t know about that,”

The Canis-Felis girl spun around to see the Great Goddess standing before her. Her jaw dropped at the woman’s absolute majesty. Ruddy brown hair cascaded in massive waterfalls down slender shoulders and curled wildly over wicked chartreuse and gold eyes. The Cervan patterned skin didn’t look like fur. Instead it appeared almost tattooed in great detail. Tawny brown down her shoulders and back, and swooping across her face. White spots speckled over her like freckles, her black nose wrinkled in crazed devilry. Even the tips of her fingers and toes were black to resemble hooves. She wore naught but a skirt made of grasses, dead and alive, and various furs, some exotic from lands far from the Shivers and some snowy white like the rabbits and foxes Fen would see daily. Deer ears twitched against the wind, listening to every possible sound her creatures could create.

The goddess Canaan tilted her head, a small glint of light bouncing off her golden antlers. “Death is quite fun for me.” She unhooked her single-edged cherusker from her side and waved a hand above Fen’s corpse. “Causing it is most amusing. I put one small bump in their path and their entire lives fall to pieces. Or I can cut one of these,” Her fingers twitched at the grip of her blade as her free hand reached over Fen’s body and brought to light millions of shimmering white strings that stretched up towards the heavens, “And change a person’s entire destiny! Mortals cause so much destruction when they’re under pressure. Some people manage to stay composed, though. For a long time but others,” she waved her sword at Fen’s body “Well they just can’t seem to cut it.”

The goddess tsked under breath as she examined Fen’s strings. “Got into a bit of a scuffle with my arctic wrighthound, aye? Such a shame, only twenty-five years old. What made you think you would actually win?”

Fen shrugged, “I have a lot of perseverance.” The goddess readied her blade in her right hand, which made Fen’s ear fall back. “What are you doing?”

“Collecting your soul, cutting your ties to the universe. You’re done here.”

Her ears perked back up in panic. “Wait! But what happens to me?! This me?” She questioned, gesturing to her spirit-self.

Canaan sighed, “You disappear. I see no reason to reincarnate you, you’ve done nothing worthy of my notice.”

The fur on Fen’s body stood on end, her tail fluffed out twice it’s natural size. She wasn’t ready to die! Not in physical form or spiritual form! Lurching to her feet, Fen dove between the goddess and her body and grabbed her butterfly swords. Before the other woman even had a chance to counter Fen’s swords clashed with her’s. Stopping it just before it reached the first string.

Sparks flew from the metal. Taking a step forward, Fen slammed her shoulder into the goddess’s ribs. Canaan gasped for breath as she stumbled back. The Canis-Felis woman took a defensive stance between herself and the other woman.

“What,” The goddess choked, “What is wrong with you?!”

“I’m not ready to die!”

“You’re already dead!”

Fen’s shoulders slumped. “Not officially! I don’t want to just disappear from existence.” The women narrowed their eyes at each other. Whenever Canaan took a step, Fen countered it with practiced steps. The goddess lunged at her. Swords clashed as the women danced in the blizzard. Ringing of metal on metal accompanied by grunts and shouts echoed down the mountain.

Finding a moment to separate, Fen took a defensive position in front of herself and smirked. “You can try all you want, I practiced day and night with these things. I can go for all eternity!”

Canaan growled, her chartreuse and gold eyes blazing with fury. The wind picked up sending snow flying around the two women. Fen squinted her eyes against the gale. It was near impossible to even see the goddess, let alone fight her. She crept closer to her body, positive that if she left her physical form for too long her opponent would swoop in and the duel would be over. Her eyes stayed locked on the other woman. All she could make out now was a dark silhouette. Another gust of snow flew around her and Canaan’s form disappeared. The girl jumped, spinning about swords raised when out of nowhere the goddess’s fist slammed against her left ear causing the girl to yelp. She felt her ear flop against her hair, broken. Howling in pain the smaller woman lashed out and hit air. The goddess had once again disappeared into the storm. Panting she straightened. That crafty b***h was doing this on purpose. She was creating a diversion with this storm to get Fen to move away from her corpse.

Well Miss, she thought, you’re going to have to try harder than that.

“Look, can’t we just work something out?” She shouted to the air.

“I will not fall victim to any ‘deal’ you could come up with, philanderer!” Canaan called back.

Philanderer?!

The snow came to a halt and the goddess appeared mere feet away, a smug grin spread across her face, “Yes, I noticed that you seem to have a very hard time keeping your skirt down.”

Fen’s jaw dropped as Canaan raised an eyebrow. The young woman’s mouth opened and closed, “That is- I have nev- Just because I like a good roll between the sheets doesn’t mean- Aaaugh! No!” She threw her swords to the snow in frustration. “That’s not what I had in mind at all.” Pausing, her eyes scanned the goddess’s figure and her eyebrows raised in admiration. “Though, I wouldn’t say no if that’s what you would be up to…”

The smirk fell away from Canaan’s face and was swiftly replaced with annoyance. Raising her blade her voice dropped to a severe tone that bit into Fen’s soul harder than any winter gale, “I am not some little strumpet for you to add to your bedpost. You’d do well to guard your words or else it won’t be me you’ll be begging to spare your soul.”

Shifting her foot under the grip of one of her swords, Fen kicked it up into her waiting hand and pointed it back at the goddess. “I have no intention of ever meeting your husband. Unless he would be interested in joining.” She added with a wink.

Even at this distance she could see the goddess’s muscles tightening in her jaw. “Foolish girl! He’d be more reasonable than I!”

“Maybe, but I’ve never been one for reason.”

Canaan gazed down her nose, features softening slightly, “Oh? What are you for?”

“Chaos.”

The goddess’s ears twitched at the word. A spark of madness lit her eyes and a ghost of a smile tugged at the corner of her lips. It would seem that Fen had found the key word that might prolong her demise. She had to play this right. Canaan wasn’t known for being fair, no matter what priests and religious fanatics would have her believe. The lady of life and death would quicker stab her closest friend before she kept a deal.

Clearing her throat Fen continued, “Yes, I do enjoy causing trouble. There’s a subtle art to it that most people don’t quite appreciate. Wouldn’t you agree?”

The corner of Canaan’s eye twitched, “What are you getting at?”

“You and I are cut from the same cloth,” Fen lowered her sword, tracing it idly in the snow “I could help you.”

Canaan straightened her back lowering her own weapon. Her eyes glared at the girl through her hair as it whipped around in the snowy wind. “The only way you could be of any use is if my husband or I turned you into a Demi-Goddess or Demi-Demon.” A most unlady-like snort erupted from the young woman. “What? What is so funny?”

“Demi-Demon.”

The goddess’s ears stood, her face unamused.

“What? You have to admit it’s a funny word.” Canaan’s brows furrowed. “No? Fine, fine, continue.”

Rolling her eyes, Canaan went on, “We have to have sufficient proof that you would be a worthy vessel. My husband and I go about it different ways, of course, but we still need persuasion. For instance, Fanakonaul likes to make deals. If he feels like what you have to offer is worth his time then he will grant you his power. I, on the other hand, simply need to know how you plan on using my gift.”

Fen tilted her head, eyes squinted in suspicion. “Whats the catch?” She knew deals with gods weren’t that easy. The mother of all things might be praised for her life giving nature but, the Canis-Felis girl could see the woman was not as forgiving as the priests would say. The glint in her eyes hid something sinister. Something almost mad. She would have to watch her step with this one.

The goddess scoffed, “Don’t you suppose you’re clever? Alright, you will get my gift and you get free range to use it however you wish, you’ll even be able to travel between Cetera and The After but, your immortality is limited. You live for a certain amount of years looking as young and chipper as you do now, once those are up you age just like anybody else.” The girl crossed her arms, waiting. There was more and she knew it. “If you turn on us my husband will turn you into one of his Ascenarks. Is that what you wanted to hear?”

“I don’t know what that is…”

“You don’t want to know what they are, my dear. Now,” Canaan pointed her sword at Fen again, “What is you think you can do that will do us proud?”

Fen bit her lip. Damn… She hadn’t thought this through. What could she do that would impress the gods? At most she’s cheated at cards and dice, manipulating chance. Most of her antics were small pranks, not some full-scale convoluted scheme.

“I’m waiting.” The Cervan woman pressed.“I cannot be out here forever, you know. There is a little one who begs my attention in The After.”

Fen’s ear perked up. “You have a child?”

“Have you not seen her in my arms in my temple statues?”

“The nearest temple is two-hundred miles away, only the men make that journey. The pricks won’t take us women-folk anywhere.” The goddess nodded.

“Good, stay away from those temples.” Fen cocked her head, “Nothing but lies and slander…” Before the young woman could ask what she meant Canaan’s head snapped up. She planted her hands on her hips and glared at the girl.

Fen jumped. Racking her brain she attempted to come up with something when a thought struck. A devilish smile curled at the corner of her lips, eyebrows arched and her eyes burned with a roguish fire. Straightening her back and with bravado in her voice she laid out,

“What if I told you that I know of an object that can cause the greatest amount of unending chaos?” Canaan’s ears perked up. Fen was going to play her like a fiddle if this all worked out. “This will go on for generations. Blood, fire, betrayal, all those fine things.”

“What is this object?”

“If I told you, you would just take it for yourself. I want to be the one. I know how to properly use it and manipulate it.” Holding out her hand she flashed her teeth in a cocky smile, “I just need a little help.”

The goddess stared at the black hand. Her eyebrows creased in frustration, irritation, and deliberation. She didn’t look to happy that she was being left out of the loop but Fen could see the curiosity in her eyes. It was killing her to know. She was practically shaking as she considered the possibilities and weighed her options.

It felt like an eternity before Canaan let out a vexed growl and grabbed the girl’s hand. A white hot pain ripped through Fen’s body as a bright light poured out from the goddess’s body and buried itself into her skin. There was no letting go either. She had tried to pull free from Canaan’s grasp but the hold was iron clad. The light began to shine from Canaan’s eyes as well, and with her other hand the goddess reached up and placed her thumb on the bridge of Fen’s nose. A sudden pop, another burst of green and gold light and the Canis-Felis girl found herself on her back, alone.

Every muscle in her was stiff. Struggling to sit up she released a groan. It hurt to move and her head spun like a top. Blinking she looked around her, there was no sign of the goddess anywhere. And no sign of her body! Finding the energy to stand Fen spun around, sure she was in the same spot where she died. No… It couldn’t possibly be that..? Stooping back down she moved some of the snow around and sure enough once she dug deep enough she hit dark red snow.

She was back in her own body.

Quickly she ran and grabbed her swords before they too got buried. She took time to clean them off, they’d be of no use to her rusted. Wiping the blade clean she looked at her reflection and gasped, nearly dropping her sword again. Glancing back at herself her eyes grew wide. The color had changed! No longer were they the light brown she had been born with but instead a deep forest green. She marveled at the beautiful color. There had been tales that this was the mark of the Gods but since so many people were naturally born with green eyes most assumed such an idea to be a myth. No one would suspect a thing!

Glowing with pride, Fen replaced her swords on her back. It was time to set the plan into motion. Taking a deep breath, she concentrated as hard as she could, summoning the new magic she had been gifted until it sparked at her fingertips with deep burgundy fire. That goddess should have thought twice before threatening her. Throwing her head she burst out in a fit of uncontrollable laughter before snapping her fingers and disappearing in a cloud of snow.


*201 years later*


A young woman with fur white as snow, long black roped hair that matched the glove and kneesock-like pattern on her arms and legs, sat at a bar table drink in hand. Her tail swished to and fro as she sipped on her mead. Left hand massaging the tip of her limp ear, her good ear twitched at the idle gossip of the tavern patrons. Bright green eyes scanned over the dark room as the chatted about the disasters flowing from one end of Cetera to the next. Their worry carried from wall to wall as they spoke of the goddess’s wrath. Many had convoluted conspiracies over why these things were happening, all of them wrong.

She smirked in her cup as the stories spun wilder and wilder. All according to plan.

“Care if I join you, my lady?”

Fen jumped at the deep voice. Turning she smiled sweetly at the dark olive-skinned man who had come up behind her. His black hair slicked back in a horsetail and dressed finely in a gold embroidered doublet over a steel grey shirt with large sleeves. A brown belt clung loosely around his waist allowing the stiff material of the doublet to ruffle slightly at the middle of slender thighs, which were covered in close-fitting chestnut colored hose. The man casually leaned on the edge of the bar, legs crossed, the toe of one black polished boot planted on the dirty wood floor as he waited her answer.

“By all means, ser,” she waved to a stool next to her, “But surely there are others whom you would prefer to keep company than a poor artist like myself?”

The man laughed deep in his chest, “I’m afraid not, mi pic’lo flori. I see no one else who is worth my time and you, my pretty young thing, look like you have a story to tell.” Honey eyes glowed with warmth as he smiled at the woman.

Dropping her hand from her ear, Fen wrinkled her nose with a grin. “So what if I do?” She waved to the barkeeper ordering a drink for her companion. “Why would you be interested?”

“Because you’re no ordinary girl,” The corner of her lips curled into a smile as she turned back to her own drink. He was trying to flatter her, amateur.

“You think I’m just spinning compliments but really, I can tell.” He went on. “I can see it in your eyes.” Fen’s drink stopped halfway down her throat. Coughing and sputtering in surprise she turned to the older man. “Did you honestly not realize that one creation of the gods could not spot another? I am Bennivol Idnoi of Longiano, an Incubus of Lord Fanakonaul.” He whispered the last part. Not many in the mortal realms were fond of the goddess’s dark husband and his magic. “And you, ma cosa bella, are a Demi-Goddess of Canaan.”

Biting her lip Fen squinted at the man, “What do you want?”

“What makes you think I-” Fen placed a gentle hand on Bennivol’s thigh and leaned in closer, eyebrows raised knowingly. “I want in. I know you know what is happening and why the goddess has gone completely mental.”

Chuckling, Fen pulled away and with a voice that was equally dark and sweet said “I may or may not have taken something very precious from my Mistress Canaan.”

“Where is this ‘precious item’?”

“Safe. In the capital of Wellcrest. That being said, what could you do to help me?”

Bennivol motioned for the girl to follow him upstairs, mentioning he had a room in the tavern. “The walls have ears.” Once safely behind the locked door, Bennivol offered her a chair at the small table and poured her a drink of a wine she had never seen before. “Imported from my homeland. This bottle in particular is from when I was your age, over four hundred years before people started keeping track of the years.”

“Oh how fancy.” Fen gushed as she sipped the sweet white liquid.

“Now, back to business,” Bennivol poured himself a glass. “I can help by keeping track of this item, prolonging the goddess’s recovery of it.” A mischievous grin curled at the corner of the woman’s lips. “Like that don’t you? We can cause a whole new brand of chaos, the likes of which the world has never seen before! Together.”

Fen tapped her index finger on her lip. This could be very good. She had not completely thought this little scheme all the way through, having someone with a little more experience and magic on her side would help a great deal. Waving her hand she smiled, “Keep track of Canaan’s child for me and we have a deal.”

Wine spewed from the demon’s mouth, covering the wall. He choked, pounding on his chest trying to breathe, “You stole the Gods’ child?!” The Canis-Felis woman shrugged. “By The Two you have a death wish!”

“Are you saying you’re backing out?”

The man’s eyes flickered back and forth, he licked his lips as the small wrinkles on his forehead creased deeper. Any sane person would run from this deal. If the gods were to ever find out who was responsible for the kidnap of their child, the people involved would suffer a fate far worse than disappearing from existence forever. But if they could pull this off… The fame they would receive would be sung by bards in every inn, every tavern. Scholars would write of them for all eternity! This fresh goddess was cooking up the kind of story that would be deemed legendary!

A wicked grin spread across the demon’s face. Glancing back up to the woman he nodded, “I’m in.” The woman smiled back and took his hand firmly in hers but, once his fingers wrapped around her small hand Bennivol pulled over the table and grabbed her jaw. “I prefer to seal things with a kiss. Especially with someone who managed to use her wiles against me. Doesn’t happen often, mi caro.”

Fen licked her lips before slipping from Bennivol’s hand. Swaying her hips as she rounded the table, the young woman unclasped her robe allowing it to pool onto the floor, revealing a plain green sideless gown. The curves of both hip and breast showed through the gaps, even the supple furred muscle of her thigh teased the man’s vision from the slit on the left side. Tossing her hair over her shoulder, Fen straddled the smug looking demon’s waist and leaned in with a breathy whisper,

“I like the way you think.” Licking her index finger and thumb, she reached over and snuffed out the candle.


© 2015 R.O.A.R.


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

196 Views
Added on January 12, 2015
Last Updated on January 12, 2015
Tags: fantasy, animals, goddess, magic, short story, trickery, rouges, duels, revenge

Author

R.O.A.R.
R.O.A.R.

Arkansas City, KS



About
I didn't get into writing until I took a creative writing class back in high school. The teacher was a big source of confidence and inspiration which led to me starting my first big projects. I've nev.. more..

Writing
Chapter One Chapter One

A Chapter by R.O.A.R.


Chapter Two Chapter Two

A Chapter by R.O.A.R.


Chapter Three Chapter Three

A Chapter by R.O.A.R.