Crash

Crash

A Story by Kelsey
"

Death takes us when we least expect it.

"

He steps outside and takes in the fresh air. A beautiful night, a not-so beautiful life. Still hungover from yesterday’s binge, he staggers to his truck, gets in, and takes off. He’s not sure where he’s going, but he’s going somewhere. A lot of people say that and it sounds rather typical, but for him, it’s the story of his life. He’s always going somewhere rather aimlessly, making some right and some wrong turns along the way, but always evening things out and fixing the situation to the best of his ability. He’s a helpful man, caring in every way possible. He’d give his right arm if it meant you’d get so much as a fingernail out of it. He’d do anything for anybody, but he lives with bad habbits.

He’s a sad man, a lonely man. After an ugly divorce, he lost his children to his ex. He hardly sees them now. He has two beautiful sons, one named after him and growing quickly, the other only a few months old. His life never fell into place the way he’d hoped for it to. Life grew on him, but he never grew fast enough for it. Things passed him by before he got a grasp of what was really happening. He grew up poorly, his parents fought a lot and few knew all of his story. I was one of those lucky people, though. I was lucky enough to have him open up to me, and I was lucky enough to have him to open up to. He saved me from several ugly situations. I could never thank him enough for everything he’d done for me.

It’s early morning, around 1:30. He’s tired from a week with his son, he’s tired from work. He recently started a new job, he’d be moving back to his hometown in no time. He’d taken a lot of big steps in his life in just the last year, and this would be yet another one.

It’s dark, it’s quiet, he’s driving alone. He’s tired, exhausted, really. He starts to doze off. The vehicle veers, he regains control. He begins to doze off again, this time falling into a deeper sleep. The vehicle veers, this time further off the road. Before he knows it, he’s no longer on the road. He’s sleeping. The car’s on fire. He’s trapped inside. Does he know what’s happening? Is he awake? Is he struggling to get out or is he sleeping peacefully as he burns to death? Will we ever know? In a matter of minutes, seconds, maybe, he’s gone.

© 2012 Kelsey


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Featured Review

it's pointless to review this writing ...
because it's marvelous and flawless..
a story that brings insight about how tragic a life could be... how mean this life can actually be and how a life could go waste ...
somewhere down within ourselves, we too are burning to death... which is unknown to the world outside .. :(

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, dear. Really, it means a lot. x



Reviews

wow...wow...wow...what a fantastic description of the man...a great story of a man behind simple words...you excellenty designed it...lovely piece by a great writer...pls notify me when you add second chapter to it...

Posted 11 Years Ago


Pritesh

11 Years Ago

curious to know that what happened with him in the car...the short piece remained me speechless...
Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Wow, thank you so much. Really, it means a lot. :)
Such a short but descriptive story. Sad but intriguing, I found myself wanting more.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

What a great compliment, thank you so much. x
Amazing!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you! x
This is AWESOME!!! I love your stories!

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you, dear! x
I'm speechless. So raw, powerful and tragic in all its ways. Amazing.

Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, dear. That's exactly everything I was going for.
Im going to skip over all the "its beautifully written, descriptive, etc etc" because this is Kelsey, and well its a given. "few knew all his story. i was one of the lucky ones." i cant ignore a comment here.. we all wear masks, whether we realize it or not. there are very few people within our lives that we even feel we can take the mask off to show ourselves to them. and we do so only to those who are more amazing to us than everyone else combined. so i must disagree with your statement there, he was the lucky one. knowing what ive been told about him, im pretty confident he would agree with me.


Posted 11 Years Ago


1 of 1 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

As always, I thank you, Jack. You really are such a sweetheart, and your kind words never fail to pu.. read more
it's pointless to review this writing ...
because it's marvelous and flawless..
a story that brings insight about how tragic a life could be... how mean this life can actually be and how a life could go waste ...
somewhere down within ourselves, we too are burning to death... which is unknown to the world outside .. :(

Posted 11 Years Ago


2 of 2 people found this review constructive.

Kelsey

11 Years Ago

Thank you so much, dear. Really, it means a lot. x

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

286 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on September 7, 2012
Last Updated on October 29, 2012
Tags: death, crash, story, wreck, accident, man

Author

Kelsey
Kelsey

WV



About
"It's funny how our past frames us; how the person we used to be never lets loose of the person we are. Past failures and disappointments, even victories take hold of us. They haunt us like ghosts, or.. more..

Writing
The Ultimatum The Ultimatum

A Poem by Kelsey


Untitled Untitled

A Poem by Kelsey


Unwanted Unwanted

A Poem by Kelsey



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..