Three Little Pigs

Three Little Pigs

A Chapter by Alyssa

  Chapter 2: Three Little Pigs  

 

Once we reached home, we prepared for our mountain hike. I got changed into my hiking boots, and put on a red baseball cap, putting my hair up in a high ponytail. June put some sneakers on as I helped put her hair up. My dad was in the kitchen packing the backpack full of water bottles and granola bars; he also threw in his camera, his cell phone, and bug spray. We had a quick lunch and drove down to the hike trail, passing the pretty scenery.

            When we parked on the side of the start of the trail, we got out of the car and started walking. Juni was skipping in front of us, trying to avoid the rough ground that had roots and rocks sticking out in random spots.

            "June bug, don't skip anymore, you'll trip hon." Dad said, I looked over at him and he jokingly rolled his eyes. June bug was his nickname for her; I always thought it was cute.

            Juni stopped and we kept up our hike, going uphill and downhill. We were well entertained by our surroundings, hearing the life of the birds around us in the trees, and the pretty greens covering every part of the forest. I saw a couple butterflies, and to Juni's shock she stepped on a snake's tail, it had slithered away frightened. After her squeaky scream, she was talking in astonishment about how she never was that close to a snake before, and how she felt bad for it because its tail must be sore. Oh, Juni.

            I was walking in front of my dad, as he was right behind so he was able to see us. We started whistling some tunes, and it eventually got to the point where we were all too tired to talk. We had only 1 mile left till the top after a couple hours and we noticed it was getting rockier. There was this huge gray boulder built into the mountain, and we decided to check it out.

            It ended up being a shallow cave. It was moist and chillier within the walls and it felt relieving since we were pretty sweaty and hot. I held my body close to the cave wall; it felt amazing, even though it was uncomfortably rough. I stood there for a bit while my dad was taking pictures. He laughed and snapped a picture of me hugging the wall. June was climbing on the rocks that deeper inside.

            About to leave, we discovered a small crack that just fit my body size, so I squeezed through to make an exit and Juni did the same, my dad couldn’t fit, his face looked funny trying to squeeze through and June and I found it amusing. So he then exited the longer way.

            After our brief break we continued to climb and it had gotten steeper and steeper. The elevation made us put out more effort. It got to the point where I had to hold on to Juni in front of me because she was scaring the crap out of me. There were so many times I'd think she was going to fall, since we were so high up.

            We had finally reached the peak, and there was an opening. The blue sky was visible and the sun leaked lazily through the trees. We finally were at the top of Mt. Marcy.

As we walked into the opening we realized we were on the rocky top of the cave that we had just visited. It ended at a cliff about six feet in front of us, breaking out into an amazing view. All around us were the far away mountains, the glistening lake lead you to them. We saw a few boats gracing the water, it was all breath taking. I heard June give a little gasp.

            "WOW!" she said; the first one to speak of course.

            "Baby isn't it beautiful? Look how high up you are!" He was holding June's hand and pointing out to the view in front.

            "Dad this is amazing." I said, I felt so accomplished getting up here doing all that work; this was like its reward, the perfect reward. Never have I been anywhere that gave me this kind of feeling, it was indescribable. The smells, sights, and feeling of the cool breeze touching my moist skin.

            We all sat down on the rock, being aware to stay away from the cliff edge. We ate our granola bars and chugged our water bottles while staring at the scenery, the blazing sun directly above us. We relaxed and enjoyed ourselves with no urge rush. My dad took more pictures and maybe after a half an hour up in the high, heavenly elevation we decided to work our way back down.

            It was surprisingly harder going down the mountain. It really hurt our knees from the natural gravity that was pushing down on us, wanting us to go down the earthy, rooted slopes faster than we wanted to. I decided to be the person behind everyone so I could be a little more adventurous. I picked some pretty flowers and found a caterpillar. I also had the camera so I could take as many pictures as possible of the pretty green forest. It got me behind a little, but they knew I could keep up; I have good stamina, and am pretty athletic.

            There was a turn in the trail and I couldn't see my dad or Juni since the trees intercepted them. My eyes caught sight of a really cool looking tree, the roots were sprawling out in different directions making it reminiscent of an octopus. It was a birch tree so it was white, and it had pretty bright green leaves dangling all over. I took a few pictures and skimmed through them. Realizing I really should get moving, I started to walk.

            "DES?" I heard my dad calling. We were almost done with the trail and I knew he was at least a quarter of a mile to the car.

            "Yeah, I'm right here! Go ahead in the car dad; I'm just taking a few last minute pictures!" I shouted back.

            "Uh, Okay…are you sure you know your way out?" he yelled back through the trees, sounding uneasy.

            "Yah, I think I know what a trail looks like when I see it dad." I shouted back again sarcastically. "I'll be fine don't worry."

            "Okay, meet you at the car then!" I heard him continue to walk crunching the branches from a distance.

            I decided to take one more picture, it was of a squirrel starting to climb a tree, but he suddenly was frozen with fear from my presence, or giving me the chance to snap its picture, but I’m guessing the first theory. I snapped the picture and went to look to see if the little guy was visible. Then I froze. My heart started to race, and I felt blood rush to my head, making me very warm. The camera was beginning to slip in my hands from the sweat forming in my palms. Yes, the squirrel was visible. But something else was more visible than ever. Behind the tree the squirrel was grasping on to, a little to the right, I saw a large black furry head, sticking out of the brush, with two pointed ears, and a pair of golden amber eyes, staring at me.

            My hand started to cramp from holding onto the camera so tightly. My knuckles white with its grip. I was holding my breath, still taking in the picture with those eyes... staring. Do I dare lower the camera and see it in person? Should I pretend I never saw it and try to casually run away? Should I scream? I slowly lowered my camera, to see if it was just an illusion with the bushes. Maybe my eyes were tricking me. I looked ahead and no doubt, it was there. It was worse than in the picture, vivid, more real. I shivered with fear. Are wolves known to kill people? Are they harmful? Or are they just like dogs? The stare did not seem friendly at all. So I appointed the negatives. My feet started carrying me slowly backward, my breathing quickened. I didn’t want to move too fast, just if it might chase me. It still locked its gaze on me, and I wouldn't dare take my eyes off it. I took another slow step back but with a bigger stride. Another step and I heard a loud snap, which made me jump. It was just me stepping on a branch. This was not good, because after my sudden movement, the wolf started to slowly emerge from the brush towards me.

            My knees began to feel weak. I didn't know what to do. My mind was frozen on the thought to keep walking backwards, just keep walking backwards and show I mean no harm. If I ran, I knew it would start to chase me. It was huge, almost as big as a Great Dane, only way more thick and muscular. Its black fur made his amber eyes glow; it approached closer, a mere 10 feet away, 9 feet, 8 feet. I kept my eyes on it, in extreme shock of what was happening. I walked back, making my pace faster and faster… as its got faster and faster. I kept this up, and then my right heel hit a root as I was stepping back, and I felt my body cascading downwards, my body slamming into dirt ground with great force, my head hit something hard.

And everything went black.

***

            I felt myself slip away from sleep, I turned my head to the side and it wasn't on that hard thing anymore, it was on something soft and fluffy, I groaned from exhaustion.

            "Des, baby? June she's awake!" I heard my dad say hopefully. He sounded relieved.

            "Desi!" I heard June say excited. I felt her small clammy hand on my cheek.

I finally was able to open my eyes. And they exhaled with relief. My dad was on my right and was smiling at me with a restless and relieved expression, Juni was on the left sitting on the side of my bed, biting her lip and waiting anxiously. There was a white wall behind them. This did not look like the forest?

            "Where am I?" I mumbled.

            "You’re in a hospital honey, you fell and hit your head on a rock... how are you feeling?" he was next to me on the chair, with his hand rested on my head gently rubbing his thumb on my forehead.

            I suddenly remembered how I hit my head. I was walking backwards... and not just for giggles either.

            I gave a short gasp. "Dad, I-I... there was a wolf!"

            His eyes widened at me, shocked. And June gave a small gasp, as her eyes widened too.

            "Honey, are you alright?! What happened?" He was holding onto my shoulders anxiously, looking straight into my eyes.

            "I took a picture, an-and I went to look at it. I saw it in the background in some brush staring at me!" The images flashed back of the big black wolf with it's amber eyes walking toward me. I saw June cover her mouth with her hands in shock, still eyes wide.

            "I was backing up, I-I didn't know what to do!" Tears were quickly forming in my eyes, and I tried blinking them away, but it made a tear slide down my cheek instead.

            "Oh, baby...I'm so sorry!" He looked at me with apologetic eyes and hugged me tight. June then hugged me and looked at me with her eyes tear filled. June was always a sweet heart, if she saw someone crying, she would cry too. Something we both tend to do, but I would only do it if I loved or cared about the person. If June saw an old homeless man on the street crying, she would start to.

            "Bu-But how did you fall? Did the w-wolf jump at you?" Her eyes glistened; she was frightened by her own question.

            "No, it didn't... it didn’t get that close to me, it didn’t even touch me..." I felt my eyebrows tighten in confusion. What I said turned into a question. I was realizing what I was saying... It didn't even take advantage of when I fell. This didn't make sense; you would think it would have killed me right then and there when I was on the ground unconscious.

            "I just tripped on a root, while I was stepping backwards..." My dad was giving the same confused look as June and I.

            We all were in deep thought, staring into space... trying to find reason in this. I completely forgot about how bad my injuries were, that really didn't matter right now. But I was curious.

            "How bad was it?" I asked hoping it wouldn't want to make me cringe.

            "Well when we were getting worried waiting for you, we went back in to find you... we saw you on the ground and we realized how you became unconscious. You're head was bleeding heavily, and that’s when I went to call 911, I was afraid you would have serious head damage." He seemed pained by re-creating the memory.

            "Your fine though, all you needed was a few stitches."

            "Oh." I felt bad causing them that much worry. And come to think of it the crown of my head was killing me. I groaned from the pain. I put my hand on the source of the pain; I could feel the stitches and dry blood.

            "Hmm, I’m guessing the morphine has stopped affecting, I’ll get the nurse baby."

He got up and left the room.

            I looked over at Juni who was next to the bed looking at me completely terrified with worry. I wanted to cry seeing her so upset. I grabbed her hand and started rubbing it with my thumb.

            "Juni... I'm absolutely fine. See?" I wiggled my arms and legs. She fought a smile at that.

            "Don't worry okay? I'm safe now, it's all over sis."

            "I know it was just so scary finding you on the ground, bleeding like that. I almost thought you weren't gonna wake up." She choked, her eyes filling up with tears again.

            "Well I did, oh... and how long was I out for?"

            "Um, maybe 4 hours I think... when we got you here daddy said it was 4 o'clock, and now its almost 8.” She stared off in thought, and pulled a smile. “It was really funny though, you were kind of awake after the stitches... but you got a lot of medicine put in you, so you were kind of loopy. Daddy said you wouldn’t remember that."

            That struck me a question. "Really? What did I say?"

            "You were telling the story of the three little pigs, and how the big bad wolf blew all the houses down. But we could hardly understand you ‘cause you were mumbling and using different voices for each of the characters!"

            June started laughing uncontrollably, and I ended up joining her. I must have been quite a show.

            "And-and for the-the 1st pig you did the squeakiest voice I've ever heard! The-then for 2nd one you did an old man kind of voice, and f-for the third it was your regular voice. For the wolf... it was really growly and deep. You were just so-so fun-funny!"

She demonstrated each voice trying not to laugh. This was making me laugh so hard, it started to bring tears to both our eyes.

            "After the story you said that you felt like you were in a pool of pudding... and then that’s when you fell asleep!"

            How odd. And I didn't even remember any of it. Dad was just walking in at the end of her sentence, looking slightly annoyed.

            "Daddy recorded you, it was funny, but you looked really scared telling the story, and we know why now..."

            "The nurse will be here soon hun... she's a bit 'busy'." I could hear him put busy in quotes from how he said it.

            "Thanks dad." I gave him a smile. He walked over and sat back in the chair next to my bed.

            "So June Bug told you about your little comedy act huh?" He smirked and gave June a wink.

            "I've got it all on tape, I'll be sure to show your mother this when we get back, that’s for sure!" I suddenly remembered about mom.

            "Does mom know about this?" I now grew guilty for her sake, not being here, to give me support. That's something she would really want to do if she heard about this.

            "Yah, I had to tell her about it, it's something she should know, and if I didn’t tell her and showed her that video, which I gotta show her, she would have been really pissed off, and upset with me."

            "Yah I understand dad, its fine, how was she when you told her?"

            "She wanted to drive right up here, but I told her to not even bother, and that you were absolutely fine. It's not like you were in a coma or something. I told her you just fell and hit your head, lost a decent amount of blood and got a few stitches, nothing worse than a broken bone. Which this is all true, but that was before we found out why you fell..."

            "Oh, do you think I should tell her about that part?" I honestly didn't want to tell her that at all. The last thing I wanted to do was cause her more worry and guilt for not being here.

            "Nah, I'm sure that would really make her come here then... and that would not do good for her, since she is working right now, and it is still pointless... your gonna be out of here tomorrow afternoon."

            "Really? Good. And I still got to pick up my car! Three o'clock right?"

            "Yep, you'll be out 2:30 tomorrow." My dad gave a big obnoxious yawn. And I saw June struggling to keep her eyes open, sitting on my bed next to me, and picking up her head when it fell.

I was wondering why she was being so quiet.

            "You guys should go home and sleep, looks like you need it." I gave a weak chuckle; I was tired too, even after all that sleeping. He glanced at June and gave an adoring smile. Making his smile lines grow.

            "Yah we will, me and June just wanted to wait till you woke up. We brought you a tray about an hour ago if you’re hungry, its fruit salad."

            "Oh thanks, I am kinda hungry." I was starving. I felt like there was a big empty bubble in my stomach.

            "I thought you would be." He then looked over at June and waved his hand in front of her face, then rubbed her cheek.

            "June, sweet heart, we're goin’ to head home... say goodbye to your sister."

            "Bye Desi, love you." She kissed my cheek sleepily and Dad picked her up. He gave me a kiss goodbye too.

            "Night kiddo, get some good rest, love you."

            "Love you both, goodnight." I saw dad open the door with June dangling on him, probably already asleep. They walked out into the bright hallway and they were gone.

            The nurse came in shortly after. She looked young, maybe in her mid 20's with short blonde hair.

            "Hello Desiree, I'm your nurse Betty, I'm just going to have you take some pain reliever tonight, there’s no need for any more drugs."

            She gave me a glass of water and 2 pills. I put them in my mouth and swallowed them obediently.

            "Thank you." I said politely.

            "You’re welcome, just give me a buzz if you need anything dear, get good rest tonight okay?"

            "Mhm." I just wanted her to leave, I was getting impatient, my eyes were waiting permission to close.

            “Alright. Goodnight sweetie." She gave me a nurse-like smile and left the room.

            I turned off the light and turned onto my side. The pain of my head was a little distracting, but I could feel the pain already decreasing. My mind was spinning like crazy I was thinking about what had happened throughout the day. It felt like this whole day had been a total of a week’s length, so much seemed to have happened. I went through my whole day, from walking out of my room into a delicious breakfast smelling kitchen, to hearing of my loopy three little pigs’ story. I re-thought about its irony.

            It was strangely ironic that I was telling a story based on a big bad wolf looking to kill three little pigs, and threatening to blow their houses down. The first two pigs he killed, but the wolf never ended up killing the third pig, just like how that one big black wolf didn't kill me.

But I didn't build a brick house... I was out in the open, with no house at all.



© 2010 Alyssa


Author's Note

Alyssa
Nothing really to say but that I really hope you like this chapter, because I really enjoyed writing this one :)

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I like the concept of the three little pigs. The story was very good. Description of the walking up and down the mountain made me feel I was with them. You can write a strong story. I will keep reading.


Posted 14 Years Ago


lyss the part with the wolf had my eyes glued to the screen lol....good chapter

Posted 14 Years Ago


Again ... WoW !!! Just Awesome !!!
Really Well Written !!!
So interesting !!!
Such a wonderful story thus far !!!
I enjoyed every minute of it !!!
You wrote it Beautifully !!!

And once again, I found myself liking a certain number of lines here and there ... namely,
this line here for instance " ... and to Juni's shock she stepped on a snake's tail, and it slithered away frightened. After her squeaky scream, she was talking about how she never was that close to a snake before, and how she felt bad for it... because it's tail must be sore. Oh, Juni." ... haha, I know a few people who would think like that if they were to step on the tail of a snake ... me for one ... idk ... I've never actually stepped on the tail of a snake before, but I guess if I did, I might be worried for its well being, especially if I didn't intend on hurting it in any way ... haha, who knows :)

And in this line, I definately know what you're describing here ... "I saw this really cool looking tree with the roots sprawling out in different directions making it look like an octopus." ... 'cause I have seen so many trees with their roots coming out like that ... I just never actually thought of comparing that to an octopus ... very creative on your part ... very smart indeed :D

Now this I have answered in response many many times before ... " 'Yah, I think I know what a trail looks like when I see it dad.' I shouted back again sarcastically. 'I'll be fine don't worry.' " ... though not exactly the same phrase or words, but same situation ... my parents, and I guess any parents in general, always seem to be worrying about their children a little too much almost and it nearlt always seems to have them asking us questions to which we must reply in the manner by which you did previously ... almost too often

Now this line caught me off guard ... "Another step, and I heard a loud snap, which made me jump. It was just me stepping on a branch." ... I really thought for certain that it was the wolf ... then you mention it was just you ... wow ... I was shocked ... I laughed once I read that it was you hahaha ... wow :D

And finally, this line I think most of us can easily relate to in one way or another ... " 'You were telling the story of the three little pigs, and how the big bad wolf blew all the houses down. But we could hardly understand you cuz you were mumbling and using different voices for each of the characters!' " ... haha ... I think this happens to a lot of people actually, though maybe we're not in the same situation as you was but this happens to me sometimes when I talk aloud sometimes without even knowing it and without even knowing what I'm saying ... it's kinda weird I guess ... and also, there are times when we just appear to be dreamin' as we say certain things, yet we look as if we don't even know what we're saying either ... yeahhh perhaps haha idk ;)

Overall ... this chapter was really really good !!!
Liked it a lot !!!
It was great ... it really was !!!
Keep it up !!!
Looking foward to the next chapter !!!


Posted 14 Years Ago


it was fun to read hope to read more of your writing..

Posted 14 Years Ago



Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

512 Views
4 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on March 31, 2009
Last Updated on January 30, 2010


Author

Alyssa
Alyssa

Rochester, NY



About
more..

Writing
The Guard The Guard

A Poem by Alyssa



Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Disappear Disappear

A Poem by QuietPoet