Gramma

Gramma

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

inspired by Lacyboo's "Flowers always made me sad"

"
     Gramma sat on the porch most days, even when it was cold. She liked to look out the front window, watching the passersby.  Gramma was a jolly, warm, generously proportioned lady who liked to give candy and crocheted items to neighbourhood kids.   Thank God Gramma lived in an era before "Stranger Danger" would have made such pursuits impossible, and the children would have run in terror at her cackle-like laugh.
   
When I was a kid, Gramma was just cool. Everybody loved her. It was only later that I realized how cool my Grandmother really was. What I remember most about her was her smell, and her feel. There is nothing quite like sinking into the arms of a buxom, loving woman. Sorry if your grandmother was skinny, but it's true. She smelled of tea and flour, and the peppermint candies she loved to eat. I don't like tea, or peppermints, but sometimes I partake of them just to be close to Gramma.
     Gramma loved to garden, and she loved indoor and outdoor plants, but she hated flowers. She was adamant there be no flowers at her own funeral, and voiced that wish on a regular basis.
I asked her one day why she did not like flowers.    
    
     "Flowers remind me of funerals," Gramma said simply.
   
     And then she told me about Denny. A family of six went out for a pleasure boat ride. There were no life jackets in those days, and Denny sunk like a stone. They returned that day a family of five, minus the one who was only four years old at the time. Denny was their only boy, and my mom was a babe in arms.    

     There were lots of flowers at Denny's funeral.
    
     Grampa tried to find him, he really did. They dragged the lake for days. He was never found.
    
     I never asked if they buried an empty casket.
    
     I never asked Gramma again why she didn't like flowers.


   

© 2014 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
Authors note: When my grandmother died at eighty six, there were no flowers, only tears.

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Interesting little tale KLG. Reads well, flows well and has a reminiscent and soulful nature. Not sure this line makes sense to me?
'She was adamant their be none at her own,'

This review was written for a previous version of this writing

Posted 10 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

You are right. I zipped it off and was almost late to pick up the kids. OOPS
Lyn Anderson

10 Years Ago

I redid it - I think it is better now.
John Alexander McFadyen

10 Years Ago

I guessed that was what it should have said. Perfect!

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

126 Views
1 Review
Rating
Added on January 9, 2014
Last Updated on March 17, 2014

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing