it isn't my tragedy

it isn't my tragedy

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

on this day in history

"
it isn't my tragedy
it isn't my war
but you brought it
to my door step.

my parliament
my home
my Capital.

don't give me
your damned
reasons.

I don't care if
you don't like
the cut of
my Prime Minister's jib.

you shouldn't
have fucked
with my country.

it isn't my tragedy
and yet you
forced it upon me.

In 1985 I walked
freely in parliament
I shook the hand
of the leader of our country.

no high school student today will ever get that opportunity.
October 22, 2014, it became my tragedy.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/ottawa-shooting-a-day-of-chaos-leaves-soldier-gunman-dead-1.2808710






© 2017 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

This was an intense piece when I first read it and after reading it again after taking a look at your article it is even more striking. I hate how crazy so many people have become. What I really see the most of in this work is your mourning for the youth of your country, for the loss of experiences that they might have had. It really is tragic that we cannot afford to let anyone near our leaders, lest they be attacked.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

I agree. And it has spread across the world, to all Western leaders. It is a sad, sad thing.
Mental illness is often swept under the rug....in every country. What happened in Canada is scary. Perhaps it will be a warning to other countries to pay attention to the needs of those with mental illness. Lydi**

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

For sure, however, I do believe this person was manipulated by people with a different agenda.
A sad day for Canada and the all of us. Here in the USA. A lot of useless killing was done lately. I have said for years. War will find us. We must teach love, peace and kindness. I pray for better days and safe world for our kids to grow up in. Thank you dear Poet for sharing your powerful words.
Coyote

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you. I appreciate it.
Coyote Poetry

9 Years Ago

You are welcome.
I saw this unfold. Why pick on Canada? I can see the US getting our trousers flounced - but who would have a beef with our neighbors to the north? My husband's peeps on his mother's side jumped the fence from Ontario a couple generations back. Good people. it is truly sad. And you wrote eloquently about it.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you so much.
I had little knowledge of this event until I read this and watched this video on youtube wouldn't play from this link on this computer,and one other. I am reminded through this piece of the events of September 11th 2001. I will never forget that day. I will never be able to rid my mind of the images of that day. I will never forget where I was, what I was doing and what and where everyone I knew at the time. Even if this was the shooting of one person or more than one, I understand how you feel. It is no less a tragedy for the number of victims and no less a loss to you and your country. I pray that it will get easier for you over time. It is for me.

Posted 9 Years Ago


The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

that guy was crazy. the gov't calling it terrorism is an act of manipulation. read the letter his .. read more
The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

at least not like this.
The Twin Arenas

9 Years Ago

But it's a good poem, KL. Made me feel something.
An enlightening piece! It's always important that the world we live in is captured - even the aspects that we don't find particularly pleasant. The state of the world both politically and socially is changing significantly - or at least in the view of the public eye. This war seems to be never ending, with no positive outcome in sight.

A very eye opening read! Thank you for making me think a bit!

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

You are welcome and thank you for reading.
It is the same here. They take over.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, yes, I know. And now, despite the targets and despite the extremist connections, the whol.. read more
I agree with you, this should not be happening, and now I see the left wing is trying to spin this as isolated incidents, caused by mental illness, not religious fanaticism and terrorism.
Wake up people, there is a problem growing in our midst as more of these guys return from their holy war in Libya, Syria, etc they will be likely to attack here at home again.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Well, they might be mentally ill, but there is a clear pattern and no amount of politically correct .. read more
I know. It hits you right between the eyes when you least suspect it, and it leaves you blazing mad. First it sucks the breath out of your lungs, and then you get your second wind and want all out blood. Why they targeted the Canadian Parliament and killed an innocent soldier guarding the War Memorial is a total act of cowardice. They want to draw us in, they'll get their war. Great write, KLG. I feel your pain and your anger. Let it sustain you for the long haul.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, yes, it's a lot of anger. I was and am very emotional about such things.
It certainly is not yours or my tragedy but it still effects us in some way. Seems more and more unprovoked shootings are happening all over…. very powerful work my friend.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for reading and reviewing
The Rock And Roll Cowboy(REBEL WITH A CAUSE)

9 Years Ago

You are beyond welcome hon.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

1034 Views
32 Reviews
Rating
Added on October 25, 2014
Last Updated on January 6, 2017
Tags: history, shooting, mourning, loss, innocence


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Aris Aris

A Poem by Tate Morgan