Bats in the basement

Bats in the basement

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

for MomzillaNC's challenge, boiling a plagiarist in Bat Guano ...

"
The man opened the door to the basement. He dragged an unconscious woman across the room. She looked to be in her fifties, with short cropped perfectly coiffed white hair. Normally, not a hair nor stitch would be out of place, but today, she was particularly disheveled. Her eyes fluttered open as he propped her up in a chair, securing her arms and legs with sturdy cotton ropes.

She felt too weak to struggle against the restraints ‎. A survey of the room through a veil of blood and a puffy eye revealed several other chairs, each with people in them, tied to them in a similar fashion to herself. To her horror, a couple of them were moving, but not of their own volition, rather they were teeming with maggots. 

‎She felt her gorge rise, but fought the urge to vomit. She wasn't going to give this sick pig the satisfaction. Where the hell was he? The dark, basement made her lose all sense of time and space. She drifted in and out of consciousness ...‎

The woman snapped to attention, along with the others who were able to, when the lights were turned on. A man stood at the centre of the tied captives in their chairs. 

"Listen up, people, we've been found out. I need to know what each of you said or did to alert those meddling interlopers at the cafe'."

It had to be one of them, he thought. How else did people find out about the stolen poems?

The devil had a vague familiarity about him, Mary thought. A former colleague maybe? 
 
"The first to fall was you," he pointed at the disgusting, putrefying mass in the chair, "Tomatoe, potatoe, cockroache, no one bought ‎ your teacher bit, Ms Timmins..."

Something clicked in the woman's brain. Anne, lovely Anne? From Montreal? Oh, this was bad. 

The man who went by the name of Chris, his last name was something funny, Valiant? No, it was something like that but it ended in court, kicked each chair, one by one. Some of the people groaned. Many of them were past making noise.

Last he came to her. "Mary, dear Mary. You will be the last to go."

Why did he want to do this? He loved us all, did he not? 

Chris stomped about the room. The smell of them made him sick. His special friends. Blake, barely conscious, was too tired to struggle against the ropes. The other Mary, and the two he knew as Sometimesblood, and Wandering Minstrel, were long past caring. They were worm food.

Patrick looked at him pleadingly. Jon, oh, he had fought hard, was still glaring daggers at him.

How dare he? I am God, I am the creator,
he thought, as he took the knife and began cutting. He couldn't tell who the screams were coming from anymore. He felt the blood dripping down his arms, and he immersed himself in hot bleachy water in the downstairs bathroom tub. Things were foggy -- I need to take care of Mary, he thought, close her account for good...


Excerpt from the Windsor Gazette, December 13, 2014:


Police outside Windsor Ontario, responding to complaints of smells and strange activity in a home in a quiet neighbourhood last ‎week, made a grisly discovery. 

A man's body, yet to be identified, was found in a basement in a small bungalow.

The circumstances remain under investigation. There are unconfirmed reports of chairs in a circle said to be placed in a ritualistic like fashion, prompting rumours of occult connections to the case.

Whether it be a bizarre coincidence or linked to the death, the police called a pest control company in to safely trap thousands of bats that had infested the bungalow. The amount of bat guano meant the scene was a virtual petri dish, especially since the heat had been turned to over 26 degrees C, presumably due to the recent cold snap.

While the death is considered to be suspicious, police declined to comment as to why they are not looking for any suspects, only that the case does not appear to be a homicide... 




© 2014 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
okay people, it's fiction, and it's for a contest, I am really not this sick.:)
I thought of the movie Identity www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIfcdg7etE0


My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

Script = Superb

Casting = Couldn't be better

Outcome = Ouch

Posted 8 Years Ago


1................................

Posted 9 Years Ago


Horror at its finest! I had to reread the starting dialog but once I got the characters voices straight it was an intriguing read. I like how you left us guessing at the details in the end, and also the news report. A great psychological thriller. They were truly victims beyond the literary realm. Mary served up some needed justice. At least that's what I gathered. I'd like to have seen her in action, but the word restriction I'm sure hindered your hand a bit. Anyway, it was a great fictional read even though I think you gave him too much power. :) Good luck in the contest! Respectfully, blue angel

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the review. the inspiration, aside from the person who had all the ids in here, was ev.. read more
blue angel

9 Years Ago

And rightfully so! I much enjoyed it. It was truly my pleasure to see the effect in this light. Resp.. read more
that was funny but I doubt he will go away for good we will see him again

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks for reading.
Tate Morgan

9 Years Ago

He is going to be here again Im sure and probably already is
Whoa! Methinks this might be a bit over the edge! Hope it haunts his nightmares!

Posted 9 Years Ago


MomzillaNC

8 Years Ago

Well done, KL. You are one of the winners in the 3-way tie for the short story category of the conte.. read more
Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you.
MomzillaNC

8 Years Ago

yw :D
Loved your placement of the false newspaper article, at the end, KL, giving your short story, a sense of realism, to the reader. Personally, I could see, this happening, in Ottawa, but Windsor, hasn't this city suffered enough, with the big 3? Thought, this short story could have expressed more than you have, in the first half, with the devil, but realize, you have to keep the violence down, to get it's rated PG, for everyone to read. I know, in my entry, have let my angry go, and the poor troll gets flambé. Just hope, its edible, for all of you carnivores, out there. Good luck, KL, in the contest.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Well, he purports to be from Windsor. Who knows if that is even true.
therisa

9 Years Ago

Take that with a grain of salt, when you sample my flambé Troll.
This is well written and well developed. Dark and gruesome, as well. The news clipping on the bottom was a stroke of brilliance. I really thought for a moment it may have been real. You write believable journalism articles. I didn't realize he was so close to you, geographically, that is. The maggots creeped me out, but it was very believable. There are so many twisted people in the world. It took me a second to figure out where you were going with this. Great suspenseful writing.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, it was interesting. I felt it a little dark, and I was a little reluctant, but the muse d.. read more
I would have to be un - emotional here as I'm also a participant on the contest:

In terms of "concept" it's developed and suggestive. By this I mean that the characters , well - namely one with many forms has held ransom. That would then fall under thriller with tension and the inherent possibility that something really bad would happen. Given the time constraints and the fact that there aren't so many words I think that idea behind it comes out clearly and strongly.

In terms of "structure" is a fluent and a rapid - read with the distinct bridge createad at the end to induce thought by clearly differentiating formatting as a way of induced thought sequence jump. Also story time line manipulation as one cannot be certain as to when and how the two come together.

In terms of characters, this to me the most significant aspect as there is only one but the question may be thrown out, Does he know he is only one? So in essence very manies with not much going on other than pretense and deceit.

Finally in terms of dialogue with the readers and here KL is probably one of the writers who has had more contact with all the developments, the apparent view that in this site and indeed on others as well we would stand quietly and be trampled all over by lies and the anti - writer attitude.

I think if the story's dialogue is clear is that KL thinks not and I do not either.

Good luck.

Very creative.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you, no, it is a jumbled mess, and quite frankly, I don't think the lead character is a hundre.. read more
Macabre, ma'am, and well done! I can just see him, like Bogart as Lt. Cmdr Queeg in The Caine Mutiny, as he lose his marbles.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Yeah, it was kind of dark, but since the rest of you took it to a higher level, I figured this woul.. read more
I am so creeped out now. Well done.
I wrote one too. It's called Nuts.
Is your RR working? I'll try...
Wow, that was good. My heart dropped at the news clip. I don't know why but I thought for a split second it was real. Before I read all of it. That's some good guano...

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

I think it's a little too close to home for us Canadians. How close was I to telling this person who.. read more
Matching Socks

9 Years Ago

Exactly, ugh. I feel itchy all over just thinking about it.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

718 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Added on December 13, 2014
Last Updated on December 13, 2014
Tags: cheating, lies, falsehoods, plagiarism, false accolades, false ids, bats, guano

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..