Parenting 101

Parenting 101

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

exercise in frustration

"
she sits,
glued to a tiny chair
with tennis balls for feet,
contemplating her failure
to get with the program
and step up the positive parenting
while denying
her underlying disease
and masking the deleterious effects
of past mistakes,
push forward
and give us a gold star
for being
normal



© 2018 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
no comment

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

I've always hated Parenting 101 classes. I've always liked Daddy Bootcamps though. Maybe the difference is that in Daddy Bootcamps, we're there to learn skillsets (changing the diaper, holding the baby the correct way, etc.) Where in my experience, Parenting 101 was someone (who often did not have a child, and sometimes didn't want any) on a podium telling soon to be parents or already parents how we're completely wrong in our parenting abilities already and we need to worship the ground they walk on.

That said, poems are lovely to evoke thoughts and emotions and feelings. This one brought back a whole slew of them for me. The first being: "huh?" with a slight bit of confusion. I read below the impact of Parenting 101 left on you, and then I started to empathize with your situation. Too many gold stars out there today. Sometimes we only deserve a silver one!

Posted 8 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

8 Years Ago

Thank you for your insights.
This was a really tight and visual poem.
Parenting isn't the most simple task. Very multidimensional. It's like solving a Rubik's cube.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for the thoughtful review.
I like the mention of a gold star, it really makes me think of a school and children. I don't have kids, but I hope to one day, and one of my best friends has 3 so I see pretty often how tough parenting can be.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping by.
Brittany Zedalis

9 Years Ago

You're welcome ^-^
I don't understand. I like "give us a gold star for being normal". I like "underlying disease ... past mistakes". I don't understand tennis ball feet and parenting and how it all ties together. tennis ball feet make me think of a walker.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Yes, that has been mentioned. In schools, the small children's chairs here have tennis balls on them.. read more
C. Rose

9 Years Ago

Thank you for explaining, the piece makes sense now.
Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

No problem. I appreciate you stopping by.
It's a privilege to be a parent. My kids drive nuts at times, but I would trade the blessing for anything. It's an honor to have this opportunity.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Of course it is. This poem is not a commentary on not liking being a parent, but rather a particular.. read more
I am not a parent yet, but I have got kid at home, my niece. She's so naughty and all her demands makes me go crazy but it's pleasure to be around with kids.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you for sharing.
It's hard. But, as a wise man once said..."You can't drive a car by looking in the rearview mirror. Get your eyes on the windshield and allow yourself to move forward." If you need counselling, get it. If she needs counselling, get it. But forgive yourself, realize kids are tremendously resilient, and you are doing the best you can. She knows that. She loves you. She will always know that. You are an amazing mom. Hugs.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Ah yes, this poem is a result of the frustration caused by said inadequate programing. Once I am str.. read more
I know from hearing the experience of others that it can be quite difficult to be a parent no matter how sweet the kids are. They often wish that they had done or said something differently with their kid(s), no matter how reasonable it seemed at the time of the action. Using what I've heard, I think you captured the troubles of being a parent wonderfully.

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thank you very much.
Being a parent is such a glorious, wonderful thing...but damn it can be hard at times. I don't know how many times I've thought I should have done something differently. I believe love is the most important thing..show your children they are loved and don't sweat the small stuff. After all, we aren't perfect, only human. I'm sure you are a wonderful parent.

:) Julie

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

Thanks. Just having some angst.
Being normal… what is normal? Is there an answer for such a subjective concept?

Posted 9 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

9 Years Ago

No, there is not, but the experts are determined I follow the manual. Thanks.
MomzillaNC

9 Years Ago

Nertz to the experts!

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

832 Views
23 Reviews
Rating
Added on February 4, 2015
Last Updated on July 5, 2018
Tags: divorced, kids, separation, parenting


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


If You... If You...

A Poem by s y e


If...... If......

A Poem by AprilRN1210