Let in Burn, some say

Let in Burn, some say

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

The tragedy in Fort McMurray, Alberta has brought out the best, and worst, in some

"
"Let it Burn" --
says twitter,
anonymous
faceless
cowards
who call themselves
environmentalists ...
you give anyone
who cares
about the planet
a bad name.


caught in a wildfire
all the things
they once held dear
the home they built
together
with money from the sand
a life of material
adulation
reduced to ashes and dust.



all they can do is watch as it burn
and be grateful they are alive to see it happen.



© 2018 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
http://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/alberta-fires/fire-destroys-20percent-of-fort-mcmurray/ar-BBsNZzZ?li=AAggNb9&OCID=ansmsnnews11

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action/action?utm_source=bing&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=Appeal%20-%20Alberta%20Fires%202016&utm_term=fort%20mcmurray&utm_content=Fort%20McMurray%20Fires&ea.client.id=1951&ea.campaign.id=50639

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

With all respect that is due to this intelligent and thoughtful set of lines, filled with passionate sentiment for the afflicted... it seems that it's possible that the little bird was reflecting upon it's own limitations. The beating of its tiny wings could in no way influence the catastrophe that nature (or careless man) had begun. Perhaps it merely acknowledges that there are powers beyond its ken to comprehend or to influence in any meaningful way. Perhaps the little bird, deep in it's breast, knows full well that nature will have its way, always. Mans wistful desire to control her (or it, if you prefer) is simply an illusion. Still, I believe, it is with great empathy that the bird sings though it tries bravely to deny it and so I do not choose to chastise it too harshly.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Interesting, but yes, there is nothing we can do against such things, but we, as humans need not to .. read more
Ufi Auttorri ~ UfoAuthor

7 Years Ago

So true... nor does identity ensure civility. It is the individual mind that displays it own unique.. read more
wow! gives me pause to contemplate ...lots of meat in this package ..instills empathy and a good slap in the face of cowardice (i do agree) ... i have never been such a victim but i imagine it is the tokens of memories that mostly take a bite from our contentment ... no answers to why to be had ..again, i imagine, it is a persons Faith that brings strength to pick up and walk on ...with as much assurance as one believes .. i admire the compassion in this one the most Kl!
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you, I do personally know people impacted by this fire, and the callous nature with which anon.. read more
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

:( .................
Yeah I agree with you completely.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for the comment.
How awful for those caught up in the immediacy of the horror; and how frail and helpless mankind is against the destructive forces of nature. My heart goes out to all who have suffered.

T


Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for stopping in and for the comments.
This one hits close to home. Simply put, the destruction of an act of nature. Forget the arguments, and think of the people.

beautiful painful write

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. EXACTLY what I want to say.
brave and strong poem KL.. thank you...

Yes, wildfires are a natural disaster, but has anyone considered how they are made worse by the destruction and ongoing catastrophe caused by this system and its continued use of fossil fuels... the changing jet streams, and areas of droughts while other areas are flooded with rains, and on top of this... increasing worry, not about the environment, but the stoppage of drilling for more oil in the area... the fracking and even more destruction of the environment.... they talk hypocritically about human suffering as they worry about lost profits... or about losing the ability to cut down more trees...

90,000 people have been evacuated, losing everything as you mention, a whole city has been destroyed engulfed in flames and yet this is used as excuse to write about and report on what they are really concerned about, lose of business... what kind of system is this where the lives of people, our very planet is secondary to business and profit... where even our having a job is based on this and not that people need to eat and live.. why is the choice always between destruction and whether or not we have a job???

this wildfire is a huge disaster for humanity KL, and it will add even more carbon into the already too carbon filled atmosphere, further rushing us towards global environmental catastrophe, towards a tipping point that will not be able to come back from... this is what should be reported on and dug into in order to stop and reverse this direction the planet is headed in..

thank you KL, you have once again point us to look at what is happening around us..

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

At the moment I feel empathy for the immediate plight of the people who live in Fort Mac. When you h.. read more
I'm not sure what my point of view is on this topic, but I applaud you for expressing yours with clarity & passion & good details so people can really GET what's at stake in these choices. I live on the edge of a wilderness area where it's against the law to bring in any machinery to fight a fire. We've had some very big ones over the years that have stopped just short of devastating the beautiful enclave where I live (((HUGS)))

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I just worry about the immediate suffering right now. The other worries are part of a bigger picture.. read more

Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

210 Views
8 Reviews
Rating
Added on May 9, 2016
Last Updated on May 5, 2018
Tags: fire, loss, devastation, mean, cruel, environment


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..


Echoes of You Echoes of You

A Poem by Relic