you cross my mind now and again

you cross my mind now and again

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

there are some things you just don't forget

"
if you are lucky there is that one someone you don't think of with anything but nostalgia and fondness. you remember the dress you were wearing, the smell of him, the song, the moment ...


remembering


first love.
bitter sweet
remembering
never ending,
no matter
how long
I live
without you.


and yet

if I knew then
what I know now,
I would have stayed,
and yet --

I'll never forget
all you were to me .
we became the people
we needed to be

separately ...


a slight of hand

smoke and mirrors --
misty moonlight memories,
a mere magician's
slight of hand --
I opened the trap door
and you didn't reappear
I took you for granted,
but you weren't a dove,
and the pretty apprentice
was happy to expand
her repertoire
into your love.



© 2017 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
I have used this song before for the same reasons

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Amazing poetry dear friend.
"smoke and mirrors --
misty moonlight memories,
a mere magician's
slight of hand --"
The above lines. Wonderful. I could write a epic tale from. Thank you for sharing the amazing poetry.
Coyote

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

You went from my first grade school love to my first high school love.:)
Coyote Poetry

7 Years Ago

Was a amazing journey. I liked all the poetry and thoughts.
Yes KL there is someone, over 40 years ago, but it was fitting that I leave and so I did. You evoked that memory I feel a sense of dance in your words, but the music stopped and the magic disappeared into the air.

Regards,
Al

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I am glad this write came off as I intended, and yes, it is just that, a fond memory, of something t.. read more
yes ..i have one such love ...wow! 50 yrs ago ... i believe my mother thought i should end up marrying her ...i wonder if she was right to this day ..from time to time as that trap door reveals itself ..i open it without thinking ;) what a sweet young lady!
thanks for lighting her up in my mind this morning ..i am shooting up my little prayers for her ...
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

I hope the person I have in mind thinks of me that way too.:) Thanks for your review.
Einstein Noodle

7 Years Ago

i am sure they do! yep ... pretty darn sure! :)
You've really described the sensations of nostalgic longing with intensity & clarity, as is typical for you. Who can't relate to this feeling, even if it's decades ago? I love the combination of the first two stanzas, it's like holding two opposing ideas -- always longing for this old situation, but also knowing life had to be lived out separately. It's often tempting to try again, much later, but it's best left as a favorite memory. In the 3rd stanza, I love the "m" alliteration thru-out the beginning lines, which also resembles a mumbling sleight of hand, trying to slip one past. All in all, nicely expressed word portraits.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your ever thorough and thoughtful comments. I am so glad these words resonate with so .. read more
I like the way Andrew summed it up as meandering along a river. I feel the same. Lovely, relative write

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much my friend.
My thoughts exactly. Brilliant work that took the reader on a meandering river ride on your thoughts of love, breakups and fond memories so true, Loved this!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your kind review.
First love is the realest, first cut is the deepest. We may move on and meet other people, but we will never forget out first loves. Reading this brought forth so many memories I thought I had buried deep in my heart and soul, thank you for sharing.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I am sorry I missed this review the first rime around. I am glad to prompt others to reme.. read more
Yes, KL,
I, too, have those in my heart whom always shine bright and warm.
There are some that elicit a smile in my every place, others send desire and yearnings into the very fabric of my being, and there is one who does it all each time I think of her, and that is often … at least two or three times a month, but ohhh, how I ache.
Well, this is not really supposed to be about me, but about your excellent poetry, how well it's constructed, filled with the power of emotional, mental, and spiritual appeal, and I'm guessing you've guessed I feel all of that, and more words cannot express … we are poets, after-all, eh?
The layout/presentation is a bit unique, but I'd say it's simply You being your creative, expressive self.

I'm smiling from the sheer enjoyment of a good read … thank you, My Talented Friend! ⁓ Richard

Posted 7 Years Ago


This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

And I understand about being a stickler. I have my Canadianisms I cannot give up, and I really have .. read more
Richard🖌

7 Years Ago

BOY howdy!
Ya sure have that right! ; )
love this poem KL... there are special places in our hearts where we keep these memories of the one who in many ways were part of "who we became"... she wore Shalimar and wore different colored stockings and wove her legs around each other.. I do think of her now and then...

thanks Kl for a delightful poem and the recall...

redzone

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

You are welcome. He wore "preppy clothes" and ralph lauren, he was sweet and kind, and, we were just.. read more
redzone

7 Years Ago

too young is often the case with such memories... sadly...
Oh yes, I remember....every detail. "we became the people we needed to be separately" that happens in so many relationships and yet we remember....we long for the might have beens and we are certain they would have been magical. We do take certain people and relationships for granted....until they are over. I especially liked the alliteration in the final stanza here. Easy to identify with words, KL. Good one. Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much and I am glad you could relate.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

402 Views
11 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 2 Libraries
Added on June 3, 2016
Last Updated on January 5, 2017
Tags: memories, first love, bitter sweet, understanding


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..