three letters

three letters

A Chapter by Lyn Anderson
"

the words to live by -- for anyone who's ever doubted ...

"
a letter to my former self:

you are not ugly, or stupid,
you are not worthless,
or fat, a pig,
or any of the things
he says you are ...

you are not hopeless, or helpless,
you are not pitiful,
a failure, or unlovable,
or any of the things
you think you are ...

a letter to my current self:

you are better,
you are worthy,
you are loved,
you are a work in progress,
and learning every day.

a letter to my future self:

you'll be okay.
don't worry about tomorrow,
because all you have is what
you can do today.




© 2016 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson

My Review

Would you like to review this Chapter?
Login | Register




Reviews

Wonderful piece we can all learn something wrong. While our differences may vary, we can all use notes to our past, current, and future selves as we continue to learn and experience this journey. I thought this piece was well written and carries with it a powerful message. You did an excellent job of showing the growth and understanding throughout the piece. While I enjoy each letter, the letter to your future self stands out the most as it is the wisest and sums up this piece beautifully. I greatly enjoyed this.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your review. I generally wait to accept friend requests until after a few interactions.. read more
This comment has been deleted by the poster.
Lost, n'MT

7 Years Ago

You're welcome. No problem and understandable. I look forward to reading more of your writings, have.. read more
We aren't born with self doubt, it's an insidious process that can cut deep so deep the wounds may never fully heal. Breaking away is the hardest part, from then on in it's that 'future' letter that counts.

T

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Very true, thank you for popping in.
I love your words here KL, the idea of "letters", the content of each letter, the way in which it reflects a viewpoint that is sorely needed for women (for everyone actually) and for its sharp clarity of words... It is real piece of ART that should be seen as such as well as an appreciation of content..

there is a form of philosophical thought called solipsism, which insists that only your own view point can determine what is real only your own experience is real.. in poetry this sometimes takes the form of I don't like this form of poetry since I don't believe it is poetry that I like... how much art has been lost with this outlook in command??

there is also a philosophical view called eclectics in which the idea is to state two obvious identities of a thing and without determining which is the essence of a thing... take this poem for example "I don't like this poem, it is too straight forward, not metaphoric, but I like its content and message"... well, by not identifying the essence of this poem, its well thought out content in the form of "letter" clearly stated, what is really being said by way of critique of the style or form, is to say (whether intentioned or not) that this is not a poem and not worthy to be read...

both these philosphical trends in todays society are a hinderance to the truth and on this basis creating art and new forms of understanding reality... the art police.. to put this in terms of the poem itself the content is the main thing and needs to be said over and over again and this can be done in many diverse ways and forms and fonts and styles and ALL ARE ART AND POETRY!!! to object to this, is in reality to object to the poems content..

there are many ways that this could have been done and I agree with you it can be done in a constructive way that makes the poem stronger... but the critique I read below was neither constructive (no matter all the yes, buts and eclectic and solipsistic arguments) nor were the explanations which focused not on the content but a defense again of his view of what poetry is or isn't... and neither reflects what is real... it does not matter whether he does or doesn't like your poem, nor for that matter if I like it or not, ( I do though) the poem is a poetic art form and it is also true (not fantasy) for the people of the world...

sorry KL, I had to weigh in on this in some form... hopefully in a good way that can help to see we need a better way to critique and to appreciate poetry and art in general... I mean can anyone really stand and say Shakespear's MacBeth was not a good play because "I" don't like the use of sonnets in a play??? or a meter?? seriously??!!! to such nonsense we should (nicely of course) say STFU!!

if it doesn't add anything of value, please feel free to flag or delete or whatever...

redzone
ps: a good song too.. it's my grand daughter's favorite!! lol

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you so much for your support. I suppose, I don't worry too much about people who think that mo.. read more
[send message][befriend] Subscribe
V
There's a very important message featured in your poem, a hopeful and strong one. It's an encouraging piece I can relate to. Nicely written.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very kindly.
V

7 Years Ago

My pleasure.
Empowering words, KL. We have to be "okay" with ourselves and realize that the nasty barbs thrown at us mean nothing if we know they are thrown by weak minded evil people. They are used to control....and you are your own woman now. Kudos to you! Lydi**

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your support, and reading this piece as it was intended.
Oh so necessary, these self-affirmations! Some people think it's easy or comes naturally, going thru life with the outward appearance of being strong & capable . . . but actually we crumble every day just like everyone else, so propping ourselves up is part of getting down the road of life. You've expressed it so well here. As you know I love straightforward messages. I'm wondering about the single lines leading into the stanzas (below) . . . do you purposefully use "my" then "your" then "my"???
"letter to my former self"
"letter to your current self"
"letter to my future self"

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

More like subliminal, didn't even notice, thank you.
oh dahlink! i dank this up ..keeping it close ...thank you for sharing!
E.

Posted 7 Years Ago


It's like this guy got a slow hanging curve ball, one you usually nail over the fence, but he strikes out with the bases loaded.

I believe KL you are the bases loaded!

Regards,
Al

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks for your ever thoughtful reviews.
The language employed in each letter is sort of self reflexive. The first is all negative. The second present and affirmative. The third futurizing. Excellent use of language to reinforce your words.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much
Beautiful affirmations, it important I think to remind yourself that hurtful people who say things like that do so to make you feel as bad and worthless as they do themselves, it tends to make them feel more important somehow to exalt themselves and to belittle someone they need to control.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you, just thoughts we need to reminders of.

First Page first
Previous Page prev
1
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

632 Views
14 Reviews
Rating
Added on July 12, 2016
Last Updated on August 13, 2016
Tags: past, present, future, forgive, learn, heal


Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..