Bowing to the secular deity of correct

Bowing to the secular deity of correct

A Story by Lyn Anderson
"

an Essay in thought

"

Recently, I was accused, on this website, of being both prejudiced and racist. In the first instance, I made a comment to another writer with regard to my own personal experience with Schizophrenia. In the other instance, I wrote a sexy love poem to a former lover, who happened to be Spanish, and who happened to have introduced me to his mother's delicious homemade gazpacho. I have never tasted anything quite the same since.

 

Apparently, we have, as human beings, have reached a point where we are no longer able to describe facts or observations that involve specifics about a particular group of people, without offending someone.

 

Really? I have anxiety, depression, and mild OCD tendencies, I have lived with emotional abuse, and with people suffering from Schizophrenia and Bi-polar disorders. Yet, if I try to talk about it, I may inadvertently offend all mental illness sufferers with my opinion of my own experience.

 

I had a boyfriend from Kenya once. Oh no, I guess I shouldn't talk about that either. And lord  knows (oops, Catholic girl, shouldn't have said that either)  I better pull down the dozen or more poems I have written to my current love, who happens to be Irish. I better root out that old poem I wrote about my Kiwi love too …

 

When we, as human beings, are asked to scrub clean our every thought, our every emotion, our every experience, we lose our souls.

 

There is a difference between being politically aware, not using racial slurs in a hurtful context rather than a conversation about a racist person, and taking the bite out of everything you write for the sake of not wanting to offend others …

 

And on that note, please, if I genuinely offend YOU, as a person, as a human being, and there is a real reason behind it, have the courtesy to please private message me, we will discuss it, and I either will remove or edit my post to reflect that feeling.

 

I will not, however, be bullied into restraining my thought. Besides, my international list of loves is too delicious to censor, and one of the many reasons I find the particular accusation of racism most offensive and untrue.

© 2017 Lyn Anderson


Author's Note

Lyn Anderson
CAUTION VIDEO IS MATURE/EXPLICIT

My Review

Would you like to review this Story?
Login | Register




Reviews

#wellsaid. If we don't have freedom of speech somewhere like here - then we are scr*wed.

I would bet that most people on here write because they had a catalyst of some emotional event(s). If I could cash that bet I would be rich.

The world is better place for diversity and creative writing of all types.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reading and reviewing.
My response is the exact same as Rach's - minus the gay, Maori,Croatian and Kiwi - but totally the same. KL.
:))

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks. I appreciate it.
Well written. You express yourself very well.):

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for leaving your thoughts.
I think that as writers, we are the most racially diverse people. I did not take any sort of offense to your comment & I believe some people are just in search of attention. However I do love the elegance of your essay. I for sure side with you on the points you made in here. Nicely done dear.

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you very much for reading and reviewing this one.
Kesha

7 Years Ago

You're welcome :)
Oh, KL, I hear you sister! I am constantly being "edited" in my real life... I have LOTS of experience with things that aren't exactly what anyone would call PC. I won't get into my own experiences here, but I can really relate to the frustrations of being censored because I've offended someone's delicate sensibilities simply by talking about the truth of my own experience and what I know to be true. I refuse to have my sharp edge dulled though. They can suck it. Oh wait, is that hurtful?? ;)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thanks so much. I do appreciate. I think the discussion is overdue on here.
Perfect response darlin! From the gay, Maori, Croation, Irish, Catholic, Kiwi gril. R xo

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

That means a lot. Thank you.
aLittlePain

7 Years Ago

You're welcome x
It is reprehensible that anyone should feel so constrained by such political correctness. We as erstwhile poets and artists should understand and support this notion better than most. However the drive to be sterile of feeling, emotion and the expression of our rich experiences is an overpowering demand within present day society. So we should love ISIS, the traffickers of refugees and young people, the violence in our cities, the deforestation of rain forest, the suppression of democracy, the reality of the aetiology of many of these crimes in the name of political correctness. F**k off!

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you for your unedited unscripted response.
John Alexander McFadyen

7 Years Ago

The last bit was not directed at you 'M' simply at the system of political correctness!
Maybe the problem isn't the author, but the reader, KL...And I say that as someone who has been known to rub people up the wrong way, both on here and in reallifedotcom. I think there is a lot of people out there who have there own agenda and quite stupidly believe everything they think as gospel truth. These people used to be known as asshats, brats, etc etc and were never told to think before opening their mouth....Or typing in this case.
No matter what the subject, they'll find a problem with it, it's just sad that you have had to write this to defend yourself, to someone who doesn't deserve the time or effort.
I usually find that saying to them "How can I be a racist/bigot when I hate everyone equally....that usually shuts them the hell up. :)

Posted 7 Years Ago


Lyn Anderson

7 Years Ago

Thank you. I do believe that we have to stand up for good taste and freedom of thought at the same t.. read more

2
next Next Page
last Last Page
Share This
Email
Facebook
Twitter
Request Read Request
Add to Library My Library
Subscribe Subscribe


Stats

958 Views
18 Reviews
Rating
Shelved in 1 Library
Added on January 25, 2017
Last Updated on January 25, 2017
Tags: prejudice, racist, angry, thought, experience

Author

Lyn Anderson
Lyn Anderson

Toronto, Ontario, Canada



About
I write under a pseudonym. I don't do Read Requests, but you can PM me if you want me to read something specific. I make friends with people who I read and interact with. I won't accept random reque.. more..

Writing

Related Writing

People who liked this story also liked..